PDA

View Full Version : Just A Note to Let Folks Know

Jim Koepke
09-24-2010, 3:05 PM
I am currently experiencing computer problems with my old computer and may need to save up to buy another.

I am not sure how soon or often I will be able to log in regularly again.

Until then, play nice.

jtk

David Weaver
09-24-2010, 3:35 PM
I am currently experiencing computer problems with my old computer and may need to save up to buy another.

I am not sure how soon or often I will be able to log in regularly again.

Until then, play nice.

jtk

Sell some of those planes!

Bob Jones
09-24-2010, 4:31 PM
Better yet, get a droid or iPhone and take the creek everywhere you go!

Rick Markham
09-24-2010, 7:12 PM
BOO!!!!!!!!

Maybe you can learn to fettle that old 'puter... though it doesn't quite have the same effect rubbing the CPU on that big hunk of granite you have :D

Good luck, Jim... I hope it's a short "vacation" we will miss ya round here! :(

Jon van der Linden
09-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Jim, if you have an idea what the problem is and it might be fixable with parts, there may be someone here on the creek that has an unused computer with what you need.

Jim Koepke
09-25-2010, 2:17 PM
Jim, if you have an idea what the problem is and it might be fixable with parts, there may be someone here on the creek that has an unused computer with what you need.

Jon,

I think my OS got messed somehow. The beg problem is I do not have my OS disks. They either got displaced when we moved from California or my son had them and they got lost when he moved and joined the Air Force.

So I am trying to get things together.

I likely will not log on again until tomorrow. My hands are just too big for my wife's laptop.

So far, I have been spending more time doing other things, but do miss the online communities in which I have participated. Some I can not even log into since I have forgotten my passwords.

Thanks all for your support, concern and prayers.

jtk

Pam Niedermayer
09-25-2010, 6:39 PM
Is your Mac useable enough to check for updates online? Is your Mac capable of using Snow Leopard (only $30 or so for the upgrade)?

Pam

Johnny Kleso
09-25-2010, 6:45 PM
Jim,

OOPPs I'm a PC man know nothing of Mac but try a reinstall after checking all connections are good and tight..
Also do Mac's have a roll back feature? Try that if they do..

Jim Koepke
09-26-2010, 1:11 PM
Pam, Johnny,

Thanks for your helpful thoughts.

My machine is not booting currently. It goes through most of the start up sequence and then stalls and gets stuck getting to the desktop screen.

I still haven't been able to access my email accounts on line since it has been so long since I have needed a password to log in.

I guess that is one reason not to have all those sites remember you. They forget you as soon as you change computers.

I have a few PMs to check, there may be help there.

Thanks again.

jtk

Randy Bonella
09-26-2010, 1:17 PM
Hey Jim,
A bit soggy today here in the NW but if you can bring it in to an Apple store they'll get you all fixed up. I know it's a drive but they are really good. The closest one is probably downtown Portland.

Randy...

Jim Koepke
09-26-2010, 3:20 PM
Hey Jim,
A bit soggy today here in the NW but if you can bring it in to an Apple store they'll get you all fixed up. I know it's a drive but they are really good. The closest one is probably downtown Portland.

Randy...

I have had that thought run across my mind. Currently have been trying to get a lot of other things taken care of.

At first it was a big shock. Now I am starting to accept the loss and the grief is starting to subside.

The biggest problem is my user group. I have belonged to them for 15 years or more. I have always had the software log in automatically. So now I have forgotten my password and have not had a way to get to them for help.

Just have to keep trying.

Thanks for the suggestion.

jtk

Dale Sautter
09-26-2010, 4:06 PM
snip...
Just have to keep trying.

Jim, hope you're able to email or something to get your login info back this time. Next time though... backup that stuff to a little usb pen drive using something like one of these:

KeePass - pretty sure it'll work on a Mac, Nix, Windows, and it's free...
http://keepass.com/

Password Manager XP - used it for years on Windows, would get it again if I didn't have it...
http://www.cp-lab.com/

good luck

Randy Bonella
09-26-2010, 9:30 PM
Jim,
Your login information is most likely still safe inside your machine. If you have a corrupted OS problem it shouldn't affect other apps content. Once you get the OS back you should have all your other stuff back as well. If your hard disk failed thats another issue altogether. A failed disk would be a major bummer.

Randy...

Jim Koepke
09-27-2010, 1:20 PM
Jim,
Your login information is most likely still safe inside your machine. If you have a corrupted OS problem it shouldn't affect other apps content. Once you get the OS back you should have all your other stuff back as well. If your hard disk failed thats another issue altogether. A failed disk would be a major bummer.

Randy...

I am pretty sure the drive is OK. I have a copy of Disk Warrior that indicates the stuff is still there.

I do have some backups of my other things, just have not taken the time to get to them with my wife's lap top.

Her machines is great for her, she is much smaller than me. My thumbs are all over the track pad and many of the times I go to hit the space bar I move the cursor half way across the screen.

As the shock dissipates, my life habits are coming into a new perspective.

a lot of philosophical thought passes through one's mind when it is not occupied with on line activity.

jtk