PDA

View Full Version : my first plane

Keith Christopher
12-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I bought this so long ago, a buck brothers block plane it was the first handplane I bought on my own. when I compare it to the ones I have now (all LN) I wonder how I ever got anything done. it is unuseable as the rivet used to hold the cap on the iron. Well the rivet is loose and the cap doesn't seal real tight. Man I've come a long way over the years.

Jim Becker
12-18-2004, 3:18 PM
Looks remarkably identical to the cheap "home center Stanley" block plane (other than the paint color) that I have and that also was my first plane. Equally "unusable" to date, despite my attempts to refine it and having a very sharp iron. So for now...it just takes up space. But not for long. There is a woodworking show tomorrow and that nice LV LA Jack might get ordered. And I'll need the space back for "it"... :D But you never know...

Tim Leo
12-18-2004, 5:32 PM
That was the first plane I bought as well. I regret it everytime I look at it. I've bought some pretty nice Stanleys on ebay for the same amount of money that plane cost me. I was newly married, recently bought a house, and didn't think I had any money to spare. Oh well...live and learn.

Steve Beadle
12-19-2004, 12:22 AM
I, too, have a few tools that I am now embarassed to admit owning. Most of them, however, have disappeared into the trash because they either wore out or wore out their welcome!