PDA

View Full Version : More stone than wood ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-07-2003, 8:20 AM
SWMBO had a short list of improvements so I knocked the two biggest one's out of the way this Saturday. The retaining wall was replacing an old wooden frame which had been there much too long. The wood had started to rot away and it was a mess. We elected to go with the landscaping stones to make it more solid and to tie in with the brick on the foundation of the house. The pathway is made of 16 inch concrete pavers on top of an inch of pea gravel, with the ground excavated 2 inches and leveled. I did manage to get some turning in, though ... I found out my neighbor is also a turner! He and his SWMBO just returned from a turning school in Carolina. He watched me turn another small lidded box and told me,"they didn't teach us to do that at the school." He also asked if I would show him how to make some pens. I had some extra slim line and European pen kits, so I showed him how to do one, then turned it over to him. I gave him a kit for him and his wife. He made her one out of Padauk and himself one out of Yellowheart. I think he's hooked! He'll have more fun doing them on his new Jet than I do on my Shopsmith, I imagine. Anyway, thanks for looking. Hope you had a good weekend.

Ken Wright
04-07-2003, 12:56 PM
nothing quite like the appearance of a neat yard!!

Jim Izat
04-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Very nice work!

Jim