PDA

View Full Version : Banded ivory Tru-Stone pen

Alan Zenreich
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
I just returned from an appointment with my periodontist.

He's a great guy and I wanted to turn something special for him... something 'dental'.

I chose a banded ivory Tru-stone blank and matched it with silver and gold Jr. Statesman components.

Ivory, gold, silver...downright 'toothy'

I've done several Tru-stone before... this was my first with the ivory variant.

He was surprised and delighted by the gift.

He had recently mentioned to his wife that he doesn't have a desk pen for his home office. So when he saw the new pen, he smiled at the coincidence.

He also mentioned that he's going to have a hard time keeping it away from his wife!

I explained the reasons for the material and color choices. I also gave him the choice of any other pen in my portfolio (mostly tru-stone, wood and acrylic). He eyed a black & white ebony euro style ballpoint, but went right back to the ivory jr. statesman.

Funny... the first thing he did when he unscrewed the pen was to try to post the cap. I cut that short quickly, mentioning that with this style and material, posting makes the pen top heavy. I let him try some tycoons that post, and he agreed.

I think he may replace the black ink cartridge with blue, and I explained the reason for keeping the cap on a rollerball when not in use.

All in all, he's a happy camper.

I also said he should use the pen when figuring out the upcoming periodontal bill because it does 'sharp' calculations.

Roger Chandler
09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Gorgeous!!!

bob svoboda
09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Beautiful pen Alan. Also love the story.

John Keeton
09-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Neat story, Alan, and a very appropriate gift! Nice work on the pen, too - hope it results in some 'very sharp' calculations in the bill!

Michael James
09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I like that coloring... I may have to try one of those. How was it to turn?
Keep em coming!
mj

Alan Zenreich
09-24-2010, 1:44 PM
It's pretty hard/brittle, but nowhere near as brittle as black/gold tru-stone. I broke off a piece on the end by accident before turning, but fortunately there was enough left (just barely) to complete the pen.

It turns nicely, but keep in mind that I'm using carbide tools. The turning results are so good that I go directly from turning to wet sanding with micromesh.

If you use conventional tools, plan on spending quality time at the grinder during the turning process.

David E Keller
09-24-2010, 5:28 PM
Very nice. They must give you good drugs at your periodontist's office.:D

Alan Zenreich
09-24-2010, 5:52 PM
Sad to say, just novocaine <vbg>

Donny Lawson
09-24-2010, 6:14 PM
I will have to say that is a great looking pen.Nice craftsmanship and it should last a LOOOOONG time.
Donny

Harvey Ghesser
09-25-2010, 9:09 AM
Just a gorgeous pen, Alan!