PDA

View Full Version : powder coating question

Steve Campbell
09-24-2010, 8:10 AM
I am making some bullet pens and was going to try my hand at powdercoating the brass parts. I went ahead and polished it up, soldered tubes in, set the bullet in the brass case. Wiped it down with laquer thinner. I used a clear high gloss powder.
After it came out of the oven it had a lot of orange peel. The bullet half was perfect but the base end had all the orange peel. Now for the big question. Any idea what I did wrong? I don't know if I "BAKED" it too long or not long enough.
Sure hope someone on here can help me out with this one. Also I would sure like salvage what I have done. Any help?

Thanks in advance Steve................

Ken Hill
09-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Powder could have been applied to thick

Or, and more likely, the ramp temp was too fast. Thin pieces will climb faster and cause orange peel

John Terefenko
09-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Too much powder coating on that end. It did not bake evenly with the other end. All you want to do is cover all the brass. When no brass showing stop don't add more for good measure. Preheat the oven before p[lacing in oven and watch the pen as it cooks. When clear it is all that is needed. Also make sure you do not get powdercoating inside the tubes or it will be a pain to get out.

Steve Campbell
09-25-2010, 8:30 AM
Thanks Ken and John T. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I got busy yesterday and didn't get back to my pens. I am going to the shop now and try it again.
I think that maybe I baked it a little long. I'll let you know how it turns out.
John when you powdercoat your bullet pen blanks do you do it after you put the bullets in the casing or do you do the bullets and casings separate. Do you solder the tubes in place, or just glue them in place.
Thanks again for your advise guys. It helps a lot.

Steve

John Terefenko
09-25-2010, 9:40 AM
Thanks Ken and John T. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I got busy yesterday and didn't get back to my pens. I am going to the shop now and try it again.
I think that maybe I baked it a little long. I'll let you know how it turns out.
John when you powdercoat your bullet pen blanks do you do it after you put the bullets in the casing or do you do the bullets and casings separate. Do you solder the tubes in place, or just glue them in place.
Thanks again for your advise guys. It helps a lot.

Steve

Steve, I set the bullet in and powdercoat all together. I solder my tubes in. When I set my cartridges up for powdercoating I stand them on brads perforated into a piece of metal stud. I then seal the tube with rolled up tin foil. I make sure it is only covering the hole though. You want to get powdercoating on the entire cartridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/cartridgepengoodone-1.jpg

Steve Campbell
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks again John. My second attempt was much better than the first. It isn't perfect yet, but I think I found a couple of things I may do different. Thanks for the tip on sealing the tube ends. I will try it.
I think part of my problem is that I have the bullet blanks set back too far in my toaster oven. I'll have to do something about that.
Thanks again John. I hate to keep pestering you.

Steve