PDA

View Full Version : What Size for spray booth?

John Morrison60
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM
I am completing the expansion of my shop.
One of my overall goals was to create a permanent spray booth.

So far I have only used brush/wiping finishes.
I anticipate making small to medium size furniture (largest piece the
size of an easy chair). as well as some cabinets, bookcase kinds of
pieces. That is what I enjoy and would like to continue.

What size spray booth should I lay out. I could make it as large as
8x10, but the more I look at that size outline on the floor, It seems
excessively large. It strikes me that a room space as small as 6x7
would be sufficient for a table with a lazy susan on it to hold the object
being finished.
I would appreciate any suggestions from experienced sprayers.

Thanks
John Morrison
Livonia, Michigan

Matt Meiser
09-24-2010, 7:55 AM
Mine, now removed because I planned to build a finishing room that I probably won't get done until at least spring, was 7' wide inside by about 5' deep inside. The space between the fan and false wall that held the filters took up another foot of depth so overall floor space was about 7'6x7. It worked well except that I wish I'd had the filters closer to the floor. When I wasn't spraying, stuff like my clamp cart, a shop cart, and the like could be stashed in there so it wasn't really wasted space.

Honestly though, I'm not sure it was all that necessary. With HVLP there's not a ton of overspray and a good fan will remove what there is in pretty short order. I want a room because I want a place I can keep clean and be able to finish while actually using the rest of the shop.

John Morrison60
09-24-2010, 8:25 AM
Matt

Your reasons for the spray room match my goals.
I am having trouble visualizing your "false wall" structure.
I am currently trying to come up with the ventilation design.
I have a window that I can use to duct outflow through,
but I do not have good ideas (other than a fan blowing through
large filter media) for ways to supply dustfree air to the room.
Any hints would be welcome.

Was your spray turbine outside the room? with hose through a wall?
or did you just set it in a corner of the spray room?

John

Matt Meiser
09-24-2010, 8:46 AM
Mine was an open face booth. For a room, I think even 8x10 is going to be pretty small but workable for the size project you are talking about.

I have a 20" fan from Grainger that I have mounted in the wall. I built my booth centered around that, then built a wall about 1' out from the wall with the fan that held a frame to hold furnace filters. That was the back wall of the booth.

For a room, I'd planned to build a frame to hold filters that would pull warm, filtered air from my shop. Someone also suggested building a duct that I could open/close to pull air from outside in warmer months which sounded like a great idea.

I just got a turbine this year, and hadn't really thought about placement, but outside makes sense both from the noise perspective and to prevent sucking in fumes. With the design I've got in mind for my room, I probably won't be able to do that because I'd need too much hose.