PDA

View Full Version : Taking top off unisaw

james susick
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi guys. I just bought my first cabinet saw, Rockwell Unisaw. I got to pick it up before the guy leaves for work in the morning at 7am and my truck has a cap so its hard to stand up. My question is what does it take to get the table off and in 3 sections? Just like 8-10 bolts like my Jet? Just want to make sure I take the right tools. Any help on getting it apart fast would be great, size bolts and whatever else might help. I know its not good to haul on its side without taking motor off due to stress on parts but I might need to. It might come down to me loading it myself, maybe a little help from the seller.

Thanks

David Christopher
09-23-2010, 11:30 PM
the main top has 4 bolts 5/8 I think, the wings have 3 bolts each..for a total of 10 bolts...I dont remember the size right off hand but you will be safe with 1/2" up to 3/4

John Gornall
09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't mix up the shims!

The table is held on with 4 bolts - 1 in each corner - on mine they are hex head socket screws.

The top is shimmed into alignment and the shims must be put back under the same bolts.

Don't take the top off - just back the saw up to the tailgate - push the top against the tailgate so the tailgate takes the weight and lift the bottom of the saw - slide into the truck.

I can put mine on and off my truck all by myself - no big deal - right off the mobile base into the truck and right back off the truck and onto the base.

Couple of pieces of 2x4 to support the motor

Tom Rick
09-24-2010, 6:17 AM
I would skip taking the center table off it it were me. Pull the wings and slid the saw in on its side. Should fit fine. Of course if you are going to tear down the saw for rebuild anyway- go at it.

Ben Martin
09-24-2010, 6:30 AM
I would take the extra time to get the motor off of the saw before transport, I would hate to crack a trunnion because I didn't talk 10 more minutes to do it properly. I wouldn't remove the table top if it isn't too much weight, because I would transport it back home sitting on the table top, upside down.

But then again, my uni came home in boxes... :D