PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Ceder

Kevin Arceneaux
12-18-2004, 11:26 AM
SWMBO went with me yesterday to the lumber dealer. She saw some and well, hmmmm, ahhhh, we bought a few boards. I got some walnut out of the deal so I am happy.

How well does it clean up and machine?

Steve Jenkins
12-18-2004, 11:46 AM
Spanish cedar works well. I have used it a lot in humidors so never put a finish on it. I like the smell. In fact every once in a while I will run a piece throught the planer just to scent the air. What are you going to use it for?

Kevin Arceneaux
12-18-2004, 11:51 AM
I plan on using some to line the hope chest we are working and then SWMBO wants an swing to put the old wood swingset we have.

Keith Christopher
12-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Spanish cedar is very porous (as it's actually a member of the mahogany family) and likes to wick away moisture. If you plan on putting a finish on the outside you will need to fill the pores to get an even non-bumpy sheen. It's easy to work but tearout can be a problem so be sure and use backer boards. I have built my fair share of humidors and have used 3/4 - 1/8" stock. If you are lining a chest with it finish won't be a problem because you'll want the wonderful aroma to be in the chest. I would surely seal this with shellac if you plan on putting a finish on it.

Alan Turner
12-19-2004, 5:25 AM
Several years ago I built a series of 5 garden benches of SC. It is a pretty soft wood, and quite easy to work. It was before my more heavily neander days, and the dust really flew, esp. with some apttern routing on the 5 crest rails. Must have taken 6 months before the smell seft my nose. BLEGG! If you are power milling this stuff, I highly recommend a DS and mask. I know that thesae things should be used always anyway, I know, I know.
Alan

chris toomey
12-19-2004, 5:32 AM
i agree with the dust mask or respirator! i have a terrible time with the stuff. its really hard on my nose and throat