PDA

View Full Version : Couple of bowls

Alan Zenreich
09-23-2010, 10:02 PM
The adventure continues.... my third and fourth bowls.

The smaller one is made from Chinaberry. It's about 5" in diameter.

This was my first experiment using Turner's Choice. The roughed out bowl was soaked in Turner's Choice for 24 hours, then dried for 3 days.

When finish turning, the wood turned much like very dry wood... nice not to have to wait months for the bowl to dry before finish turning.

The final turned bowl was soaked in Danish Oil, then finished with Tru-Oil, then buffed.

The shallow bowl is ambrosia maple, about 7" in diameter. Hard to tell from these photos, the upper portion has a subtle ogee shape.

This was a lovely collaboration. We roughed it out at Bill Grumbine's shop in PA. I turned the outside, and Lauren turned the inside.

Soaked in Turner's Choice and dried, I did the finish turning the following weekend.

Lauren was the first to notice the Modigliani-ish face that appeared during rough turning. We worked to preserve it during the finish turning.

At the time of this photo, the bowl has only Danish Oil and light buffing. We might try a wipe on poly... we haven't tried that yet.

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Really nice work, Alan. And, a good report on the Turner's Choice! I turned a piece of chinaberry and liked how it turned, but it was wet and warped badly. This may be a good way to deal with that.

Alan Zenreich
09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Thanks John for the kind words.

We're having fun with this... so many firsts.

In fact, this was the first time I used our pyrography setup to sign a bowl.

It's a Burnmaster Eagle, and I used a Razertip pen with a fine ballpoint tip to do the signing. The ballpoint tip, and low heat setting allows for some nice control.

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Alan those are beauties. I like the ambrosia maple. I like the way that pen does the sig line.

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Nice work on both bowls! I really like the coloring of the Chinaberry - very rich tone!

Dick Rowe
09-24-2010, 2:05 AM
Nice bowls.

I have had some Ambrosia Maple laying around here for a while and seeing your bowls has inspired me to get it out and do some turning this weekend.

William Hutchinson
09-24-2010, 6:27 AM
Nice bowls and you've taken your lessons to heart. Thanks for the info on Turners Choice-I was cautious of the yellowish tint effecting wood color, but I just ordered some to give a go.

Alan Zenreich
09-24-2010, 7:23 AM
Yellowish tint? I don't understand. The Turners Choice liquid is clear.

John Keeton
09-24-2010, 7:40 AM
In fact, this was the first time I used our pyrography setup to sign a bowl.

It's a Burnmaster Eagle, and I used a Razertip pen with a fine ballpoint tip to do the signing. The ballpoint tip, and low heat setting allows for some nice control.Alan, that is neat!! I just recently purchased a similar setup off CL! Pyrography is on the list of things to try. Went to a demo last nite with Jim Adkins - amazing work!

http://www.jcgltd.com/images/gallery/ADK0012010023998.jpg

Baxter Smith
09-24-2010, 8:40 AM
Those are two very nice looking bowls Alan.

bob svoboda
09-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Very nice Alan.

Allen Neighbors
09-24-2010, 7:03 PM
Great bowls, Alan. You and Lauren are a team!! Two Thumbs Up!!

William Hutchinson
09-24-2010, 9:31 PM
Yellowish tint? I don't understand. The Turners Choice liquid is clear.

Not to detract from the OP, the product MSDS states that the color is yellow, but also describes the physical state as a clear, low viscosity liquid. Since I've never seen the cedar wood oil and mineral spirits carrier I assumed it departed a pale yellowish tint similar to some oils.

Alan, since you have actual experience using Turners Choice and say it is clear that is perfect; clear is what I wanted.

David E Keller
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Nicely done. I love the color on the chinaberry, and the ambrosia shape is great.

Mark Hubl
09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Very nice bowls. I am a big fan of ambrosia. Looks good.