PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow form

Josh Bowman
09-23-2010, 9:36 PM
It's either a HF or a wooden light bulb. Oak, 5 1/4" x 3 1/2", finish is J&J wax. Hollowed with the Monster system. Suggestions or criticisms?

Roger Chandler
09-23-2010, 9:41 PM
Josh,

Who could criticize a first hollow form? It is an adventure in itself, but with the monster system the stresses of hollowing are minimized.

Nice work, pretty wood, and a great first step to learning how to do hollow forms. That reminds me, I need to get another HF under my belt, as I have a lot of learning to do with that kind of turning.

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2010, 9:47 PM
First hollow form; it ain't splintered; and it's in one piece; it has a finish on it; you turned it endgrain. Great job!! :D
My only suggestion is to sit this one on a shelf in a prominent place, and refer back to it occasionally, look at it from all sides, and really check it close, as you continue to turn hollow forms. Think about the things you really like about it, and try to figure out why you like that. Think about the things you don't like about it, and try to figure out why you don't... And as you continue to improve, you'll be able to see just how far you can go. For a first, it's fine!! Two thumbs up!!

David Christopher
09-23-2010, 10:00 PM
pretty cool looking light bulb...LOL

I like it

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Josh, you get bonus points for doing it in OAK!!!!:eek: Pretty good for a first! They will get easier - and, more addictive!:D

Frank Van Atta
09-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Light bulb or HF? Just plug it in the wall; if it lights up it's a light bulb . . . :D

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I have to agree. It is oak, it is a hf, and it is a pretty nice one for your first.

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Josh - congrats on completing your first hollow form! You get quite a sense of accomplishment when you finish one of these!

I agree with Allen - sign your HF and hang on to it! There is only one '1st' and you just opened the door to the true vortex of turning! Enjoy the ride!

bob svoboda
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Congratulations on your first. I am new to HF also and understand the elation of getting one off the lathe in one piece (my current project has demanded that I create a pedestal for it :eek:)