PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Tools

Greg Bender
09-23-2010, 8:48 PM
I wanted to commend Doug Thompson for some fantastic customer service.After reading all the post's about Doug's great turning tools I ordered several gouges and the shaft for a 3 sided tool.Ordered them on Monday and got them today and wow are they great looking gouges.He sent them out within a few hours of ordering them and well,lets just say I was impressed with the results.I need to spend some time this weekend making handles.Curious what size handle everybody suggests for a 3/8" detail gouge.Diameter and length? I know what size I will make for the 5/8" bowl gouge so thats not a problem.Thanx Doug!!
Greg

Mike Wenman
09-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Just ordered a 3/8 bowl gouge the other day and already can't wait to put it to use. Really getting the itch to turn again now that the doc has ok'd me and figured no better way to get back into things than with a new Thompson Bowl Gouge :D

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Congrats on the new tools, Greg! As far as handle length is concerned, I like my handles all to fit under my arm if necessary, so my own handles are longer than bought ones. But I have shaky hands, so it is usually necessary. I don't get good use out of shorter ones. My 3/8 gouge handle is probably 16" long...
Only my parting tools are short handled...
At any rate, have fun turning it... :)

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
The shortest handle I have on my Thompson's is 16" on a 3/8" gouge. I am like Allen. I like my handles longer.

Alan Trout
09-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Bowl gouges I like really long handles. I have a 5/8 bowl gouge handle that is over 24" and a 1/2" bowl gouge handle that is 22" but on my finer detail tools like your detail gouge I find about 12 is just fine and yields a nice balance for finer work.

Alan

John Keeton
09-24-2010, 6:43 AM
Greg, a lot of this depends on your size and the size of your hands. I am short, with small hands, and I like a little shorter handle than some of these other 'mutants'.:D But, I agree on the 12" size for the smaller tools and spindle tools.

As to profile, on the first handles I made, I had the narrow part of the handle too close to the tool. Someone on here pointed out that they preferred a taper from narrow to wider as the handle approached the tool. One is normally 'pushing' with some degree and the taper would keep your hand from moving forward on the handle.

Since then, I have used a modified style similar to the one you see on Benjamin Best tools(below), and many of the others available, except that the smallest diameter on mine is a little further back, and the 'bulge' at the tool tip doesn't carry as far. I make the thicker bulge a little longer than the shank that is inside the handle.

As I am turning the tool, I periodically grip the tool while on the lathe until I have it at a comfortable diameter.
http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/275px/LCVERSA.jpg

Bill Blasic
09-24-2010, 7:42 AM
You might take a look at Doug's new line of handles as they are well thought out and fit your hand very well. Plus having your name engraved on the handle is a great plus. Totally adjustable for weight and balance and they won't roll around when you put them down.
Bill

Greg Bender
09-24-2010, 7:15 PM
Guys,
Thanx for the info ,was thinking 12 to 14" would be a good length to start.What is a safe minimum OD at the ferrule for a detail gouge that is 3/8".I would think you could get away with a 5/8"od and be pretty strong.I would taper up from there so it would fit my hand.

John,
I'm not mutant size but 6' and size 11 gloves I guess would put them in the junior mutant categorie.

Bill,
I saw Doug's new handles while I was ordering my gouges and was really tempted but decided to wait till next month.They look great and they are very reasonable I think.
Thanx,Greg

Thom Sturgill
09-24-2010, 7:34 PM
I was taught to hold a detail gouge such that my index finger is pointing down the shaft. this helps when turning beads and coves. With this style the handle does not need to be long at all. My other hand is on the tool rest with the thumb pressing against the side of the tool shaft to guide the cut.

David E Keller
09-24-2010, 8:30 PM
I'm probably the exception here, but I use my 3/8 detail gouge unhandled. I only use it for finials and delicate things, so I haven't found the handle necessary.

Robert Arrowood
09-24-2010, 8:32 PM
Whats up there Greg?Have talked in a while.Go over to Dragons and get you some of his maple.I would say turn one of each and see witch works best for you.JM2C

Greg Bender
09-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Robert,
long time no see .How are you doing?David is mad cause I did not tell him about all the WO I got.Unfortunately no table bases in the load.I need to find a portable saw mill.The stuff is too big and too much to cut it all for firewood.I'll talk to you soon.
Greg