PDA

View Full Version : Where I stand with my D-8s

Robert Culver
09-23-2010, 8:09 PM
Well I ran it around in my head long enough. Having a hard time triing to pick a route to go to give a new set of handles a shot so I shot that idea down and grabed my card scraper and set out to clean up the old. I wrapped up the tumb hole handle today. The thing that is disappointing the most with this is the machined look and the fit. While some may cring I modified this to fit my hand a bit better and carved a little lambs tounge on the bottom. It gave it just a little more spice. Im happy so far. Tomarrow it gets a coat of teak oil then onto the other. This handle has a small chip in it so Im not sure how im going to handle this one but maybe I will have some sort of creative dream tonight. I was impress with the qualisole I used on the #7 handle its simple and nice. I still may give the tru-oil a shot going to have to head to woodcraft sooner or later.:D

Tony Shea
09-23-2010, 8:17 PM
Glad it worked out well for you. I am one that has absolutely no problem with someone modifying an antique user tool to suit the needs and wants of the person using them. This is of course only true for antiques that aren't very rare sought after items. But for some D-8's I'm all for it.

But IMO this never happened until you show us a picture of your progress.

Robert Culver
09-23-2010, 8:24 PM
HAHAHAHA I will post pics. I still live in stone age and use dial up it takes me longer to upload pics than it does to clean up a saw.