PDA

View Full Version : modifying hitach mv12

chris toomey
12-18-2004, 10:31 AM
hey guys

i just ordered the mv12 from amazon for $129.00. i plan to dedicate this to a table. i remember reading an article on line about modifications like taking the springs out and grinding some metal awat so it can accomodate some larger bits. anybody know what i'm talking about? i thought it was on pat warners web site, but it isn't. i also checked rod petersons with no luck. any help is appreciated.

Tom Scott
12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Chris,
Here you go. M12V Modifications (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmt-jr6.htm) I've been saving this in case I ever decide to get a router and table.

Tom

Tyler Howell
12-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Is the M12V a good hand held machine??? I'm real happy with my PC table set up. Hard to pass up that price:eek:

David Wilson
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Chris

I have 2 Mv12 routers. One mounted in table and one for hand held work. Have had no problems with ether. The mods linked by Tom basicly tell you all you need to know.

Tyler

The router is a bit heavy wich can be a good thing (for stability) or a bad thing. (Don't drop it on your foot). I have had no problems using the router for hand held work. The slow start and the mass of the router Make it very stable. I am still thinking about dust collection for the routers. Any one have any suggestions?

Bill Marcheck
12-18-2004, 12:30 PM
Chris

I am still thinking about dust collection for the routers. Any one have any suggestions?

There is a dust hood for the MV12. It's clear plastic and
mounts to the "ears" on the base. I found it by searching
the web. If I can find the link I will post it.

Bill

chris toomey
12-18-2004, 1:13 PM
thanks tom...just what i was looking for........

Peter Stahl
12-19-2004, 3:48 PM
There is a dust hood for the MV12. It's clear plastic and
mounts to the "ears" on the base. I found it by searching
the web. If I can find the link I will post it.

Bill

Bill,

Is this a aftermarket accessory or is it a Hatachi? Bought a Hatachi and I'm interested to see what It looks like.

thanks, Pete

Jerry Crawford
12-19-2004, 8:30 PM
FWIW, I've owned a Hitachi TR12 since 1983 and it's still giving me good service. I love the idea of now building a dedicated table around it. (so many projects .... so little time ;) )

Ernie Kuhn
12-19-2004, 9:36 PM
Chris,
I just finished installation of same router in table. Read about spring removal. Its almost as many pro as con. I left mine in. I use a Rout-R-Lift that I bought a year ago and have had no problem. I did remove the ears on the bottom, metal cutting jig saw and clean up with round file. I also drilled hole for 1/4 20 all thread rod into spindle lock so I could put a knob on outside of table. You will definitely want to get the bent wrench.
Ernie

John Lucas
12-20-2004, 3:04 AM
Chris,
Here you go. M12V Modifications (http://www.woodshopdemos.com/cmt-jr6.htm) I've been saving this in case I ever decide to get a router and table.

Tom

Thanks to Tom for listing the URL. I use to remove the springs but with ROuter Raizer installed you do not need to.

John Lucas
woodshopdemos.com

John Miliunas
12-20-2004, 8:48 AM
Is the M12V a good hand held machine??? I'm real happy with my PC table set up. Hard to pass up that price:eek:

:eek: EEEEEEK!!! :eek: Hey Tyler, ol' buddy, I hate to tell you this, but that router has a CORD on it, which you plug into an ELECTRICAL outlet, and kill ELECTRONS in the process of using it! :eek: :D :cool:

Tyler Howell
12-20-2004, 9:14 AM
:eek: EEEEEEK!!! :eek: Hey Tyler, ol' buddy, I hate to tell you this, but that router has a CORD on it, which you plug into an ELECTRICAL outlet, and kill ELECTRONS in the process of using it! :eek: :D :cool:John,
If they die, they die! That's a great price.

John Miliunas
12-20-2004, 9:19 AM
John,
If they die, they die! That's a great price.

No, that's an *AWESOME* price! I believe I paid $149.00 for mine quite a while ago and that was a "great" price! Although it's spent the bulk of its life in the table, it's a super unit and for that kind of $$, you can't go wrong. :cool:

Charlie Plesums
12-20-2004, 1:23 PM
I have an M12V and have used it with very large bits (panel raising, etc.) You do not have to remove the ears for any normal router bit. It would be easier to tighten the collet without the ears, but mine are still in place.

I have used the M12V as a hand-held router, but it is HEAVY. In a table that is fine, but when you are holding it in front of you (say, on a dovetail jig), it is a killer to the shoulders. (Also, some of this hand-held use requires the ears.) Therefore I got different lighter router for handheld use.