PDA

View Full Version : Two Stage Snow Blower Advice

Mike Gregory
09-23-2010, 6:31 PM
I am looking at an Ariens 22" compact and at a 24" troy built. Does anyone have experience with either of these two machines. I am sure they both perform well in the first season ... it's the 4th, 5th, 15th seasons I am more concerned with. BTW, both are in my price range at around $6-700. Can't really afford more than that so any other recommendations need to be in this ball park. Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Mike Gregory

Fred Voorhees
09-23-2010, 6:35 PM
Mike, I have had a nice sized Simplicity for going on over twenty years now and the thing has never winced at anything that Mother Nature has thrown at it. Of course, it cost me a grand back when I bought it brand new also, but it has more than paid for itself over and over. One thing that I would stress is to absolutely go with a two stage. Don't EVER consider a one stage snow blower. Without a doubt not worth the money if you have any amount of driveway and sidewalk to clear. Two stage is the way to go.

Mike Gregory
09-23-2010, 6:41 PM
Fred, I agree. I had & just sold a 17 year old Toro 2-cycle, 3 hp and single stage. For what it was, it was GREAT ... just not enough. I will definitely replace it with a 2-stage. The problem is, just as with ww tools, I am afraid that mfgrs have cheapened these things and would like input from owners of 2-4 year old machines to help my decision. Keep um coming' folks!

Mike

Doug Shepard
09-23-2010, 8:50 PM
My current blower is a 32" Ariens that's going on about 5 years with no problems, It's predecessor was another Ariens that lasted about 30 years before giving up the ghost. Dont have any experience with the Ariens model you're looking at though.

Pat Germain
09-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I have a 2-stage Troybilt. I think it's a 24", or a little larger. It really works! I can throw giant snow fountains from the sidewalk all the way across the street. I've had it for about five years. It's very well made; simple and tough. I've used it to clear snow over two feet deep and it chugs right through. It struggles a little when the snow is deeper, but it will still clear it.

My only issue would be the motor is of the old flathead design. The newer models I've see now have overhead valve engines. But that motor can still throw some serious snow.

Bryan Rocker
09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
I have been in the hunt for a 2 stage snow thrower as well. I would also recommend the Sear 24" and more importantly, the Sears 26" with steering. It has good reviews and you can pick it up for around $750 ish. Some local guy picked one up for $670......One little note about most of the toro, mtd, sears etc. They are almost without question made by the same company.......

Bryan

Ben Franz
09-24-2010, 12:25 AM
I have an MTD 26" 8 HP 2-stage that has been without problems for 4 years. Right around your price level. Of course, once I bought it, had almost no snow for 2 years so longevity may never be an issue.

Dave Gaul
09-24-2010, 7:42 AM
Consumer Reports rates two-stage craftsman snow blowers pretty high. I have a 22" craftsman. I bought it used, like new, last year for $200 (IIRC)... it runs like new too!

To add to Bryan's comment about those brands being made the same... this is from MTD's site

"The MTD family of brands includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold"

I had a Troy-Bilt years ago at my first home, ex wife got the house and i left all the lawn equipment there... man I wish I kept that snow blower!! It was a nice machine!! I did manage to get my Weber grill though!!

Lee Schierer
09-24-2010, 7:54 AM
Mike, I have had a nice sized Simplicity for going on over twenty years now and the thing has never winced at anything that Mother Nature has thrown at it. Of course, it cost me a grand back when I bought it brand new also, but it has more than paid for itself over and over. One thing that I would stress is to absolutely go with a two stage. Don't EVER consider a one stage snow blower. Without a doubt not worth the money if you have any amount of driveway and sidewalk to clear. Two stage is the way to go.

My 8 Hp Simplicity is 3 years old and has not had a single problem. It replaced a 8 Hp Toro and wow what a difference. The Simplicity throws the snow twice as far, uses less gas, clogs less often by far, is quieter and is easier to start.

P.S. We get on average 90" of heavy wet snow per year. Last year it was 120"

David Weaver
09-24-2010, 8:14 AM
we also have a simplicity 8 horsepower blower. About 15 years now with no problems. They are money well spent if you have to remove a significant amount of snow. If you just have a small patch, any department store blower is probably fine as long as you read the manual and make sure you know where the shear pins are and have some on hand.

Jeff Monson
09-24-2010, 8:50 AM
I have a toro myself, no problems besides gas and oil changes since 1997, and it sees ALOT of use. I have a good friend with a troy built, he has also have very good luck with his, one thing I do like about the troy built is the compact design (shorter overall length), it is much easier to turn in tight quarters. I wouldnt hesitate a bit on a troy built, I have no experience with an airens.

David G Baker
09-24-2010, 1:35 PM
Mike, I see that you live in Michigan, check out Craigslist in your area, in the Mid Michigan and Northern Michigan area there are several used snow throwers for sale at reasonable prices.
I have a Simplicity 8 HP 2 stage snow thrower and have used it for the past 8 years on my 300 foot driveway. It is still going strong and will plow through 22 inches of dry snow. It has a little problem with real wet snow but so will almost every other snow thrower. If you do go for a Simplicity shop around because after I bought mine from a local dealer I found the same one Online for around $300 cheaper and that included shipping. If my driveway gets real bad and the snow is wet I get my John Deere out with a 6 foot back blade and do the job in less than a third of the time. The driveway is much neater if I can get by with just the snow thrower.

Mike Gregory
09-26-2010, 9:52 AM
Thanks to all for your advice. I really appreciated every reply! Friday night, I broke down and bought the Ariens 22" compact. It came filled w/ oil so I dumped some gas in it and it fired right up. Not a good test considering it was about 65 out yesterday. The real test will come in December and January ... let's hope it was a smart choice. The troy-built was a real close second!

Later ya'll,
Mike Gregory

Mike Gregory
09-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention a tip regarding wet snow. Apply some car wax to the discharge chute of your snowblower to help keep the snow from sticking. I saw this idea somewhere in my research ... just can't remember where. Sounds like a really good idea.

Later,
Mike

Kent A Bathurst
09-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Mike, I see that you live in Michigan, check out Craigslist in your area, in the Mid Michigan and Northern Michigan area there are several used snow throwers for sale at reasonable prices.

My catty-corner neighbor from my years in Michigan got the best deal of all - FREE - for a 4-year old, elec start, powered-wheel, 4 - 5 hp IIRC, single stage [forget brand].

He got it from me the week before we moved to Atlanta :D. Plus 2 accessory snow shovels. Plus 4 mounted winter tires for my BMW - told him to sell 'em and keep the $$.

Haven't missed any of that stuff for one second. One odd thing I have noticed, tho - even with Atlanta as a primary hub, it turns out Delta has no flights to Michigan from, say, Dec through Feb. Strange, huh? :p

Chris Harry
09-26-2010, 10:34 AM
Oh, I almost forgot to mention a tip regarding wet snow. Apply some car wax to the discharge chute of your snowblower to help keep the snow from sticking. I saw this idea somewhere in my research ... just can't remember where. Sounds like a really good idea.

Later,
Mike

SC Johnsons paste wax (meant for hardwood floors) works even better. You might want to re-apply every other storm or so, as it seems to wear off eventually.

I have a 26" Ariens I picked up a few years ago on clearance at HD. I absolutely love it, everything about it is heavy duty. They should last a very long time.

David G Baker
09-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Kent,
My SO flies to Atlanta once in a while. She flies out of Flint, the last trip cost her $138 for a round trip plus tax and $25 for a checked bag each direction so the total was just under $200.
The sales on Craigslist for cold weather equipment are similar to yours. There are so many folks leaving the state to find employment that schools are closing or consolidating due to the lack of money and students.

John alder
09-26-2010, 4:48 PM
I have an ST824 Airens bought it used 2 seasons now and no complaints.I have a very steep driveway and going down hill if the gas tank is not more than 1/2 full it will run out of gas because of the way the fuel line is routed this drove me nuts till I figured it out.I spray the chute and impeller chamber with cheap pam like cooking oil to keep wet snow from packing up.John

John alder
09-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Kent,
My SO flies to Atlanta once in a while. She flies out of Flint, the last trip cost her $138 for a round trip plus tax and $25 for a checked bag each direction so the total was just under $200.
The sales on Craigslist for cold weather equipment are similar to yours. There are so many folks leaving the state to find employment that schools are closing or consolidating due to the lack of money and students.
Dito for Long Island NY Craig's list here is very busy for all kinds of Merchandise.I would sell yesterday and move if I could find a VA Med ctr as good as the one I depend on very much.How ever with the bridge and tunnel tolls always going up even that might be a prob (grin)John