PDA

View Full Version : Corel Premium Suite X5

Tim Bateson
09-23-2010, 6:02 PM
I see Corel has their Premium Suite X5 on sale. Sounds like an interesting set of programs. Does anyone have this product? Any recommendations? Pros - Cons?

Gary Hair
09-23-2010, 6:06 PM
There is quite a discussion about it on the Corel forum - not much positive to say about it. Apparently the website program uses outdated technology and is pretty much worthless by todays standards. I don't know much about it, but wouldn't buy it based on the comments there.

The price isn't very attractive either, $299 as an upgrade for any version of Corel and, supposedly, $199 if you already have CD X5.

Gary

Here is the link to that thread:
coreldraw.com/forums/t/21958.aspx

Dave Russell Smith
09-23-2010, 6:20 PM
Stick with the earlier versions its a little buggy still:(

Mike Null
09-23-2010, 6:35 PM
If you're talking about plain vanilla X5, I've had it up for about 3 weeks with no problems yet.

Gary Hair
09-23-2010, 8:48 PM
Stick with the earlier versions its a little buggy still:(

It depends on what you are using for - I have had it since it was released and it's working fine for me. I have installed SP1 and that took care of any little glitches I had. The people who are having most of the problems seem to be doing more color work, not so much laser work. Although, I have been using it for my dye sub work and it's been fine. Just lucky I guess...

Gary

Tom Bull
09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
I have the X5 Graphics Suite and am lovin' it. The premium seems to be for web design and video stuff, things I have no use for.
One thing I really like is the font identifier. It went to the 'net with my sample to match, choose the match without any input on my part, and had a bunch of alternate choices.
I also like the new opening screen thing. Lets you see 15 recent projects. Also has a place to set up your new job with a name and a bunch of job parameters. The name doesn't have to be the name you save to, it is sort of like a nickname to keep track of that particular layout.
Has a ton of graphics that have descriptions so you can use Romcat to find what you want.
I bought it through Corel Unleashed on a special deal they were running. That deal is gone, but if you are looking to buy, be sure to shop around there are some deals out there if you can be patient.