PDA

View Full Version : "...and the two shall become one..."

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 3:53 PM
Well, this is the multi-piece turning on which I have been working, and for which the flutes were turned. It is different, and began with this -

The base is curly maple, as are the streams, and the flutes are quilted maple with African Blackwood stems. The base is approx. 10" wide, and the overall height is just under 10". The flutes are 6" long.

Here is the 'Artist's Statement' as David Keller called it -

"...and the two shall become one..."

The African Blackwood and quilted maple flutes, depict the stark contrast of man and woman. There is little room for gray, as compromise has not been required. This union will require much of them.

Quick in strength and force, often a manifestation of power and energy, red symbolizes love, blood and the martyrdom of Christ and represents man in this union. Devotion and harmony, associated with understanding, blue is the color of tranquility symbolizing Mary and Advent.

The beautiful sea of purple, signifying divinity, reverence and royalty represents life together - no longer lives separate and apart, but one together - a new life melding the unique qualities of the two. The beautiful grain and chatoyance depict the vibrant life they share together. The volume of the pool exceeds the capacity of the goblets as their life together exceeds that which they would have had alone - boundless and free to reach out.

The first ripple is wide representing the struggle of coexistence, but then it subsides into calm. The next ripple represents the first of many conflicts, but over time, those conflicts fade in intensity, eventually exhibiting the peaceful calm that comes in the autumn of life.

Roger Chandler
09-23-2010, 4:04 PM
John,

I have been waiting on this one to be presented to the public! You brought your concept to life! Great work, fantastic symbolism, and truths revealed in a piece of art.

I also sense a bit of a poet as well as an artist reside beneath those white locks of yours!

Congratulations on pulling this one off, especially with the carving and other things required to make it what it is.

BRAVO!!!!

Jack Mincey
09-23-2010, 4:12 PM
Very Very Cooooooooool! Great idea.
Jack

Steve Mawson
09-23-2010, 4:13 PM
Quite unique John. I assume the lettering is lasered into the wood. Just beautiful. Hope you don't mind if a copy would come along someday? Love the artist's statement as well. Kind of makes me think of my union of many years.

bob svoboda
09-23-2010, 4:20 PM
Wonderful, John. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

charlie knighton
09-23-2010, 4:23 PM
very nice, thanks for sharing

Michael James
09-23-2010, 4:23 PM
Earth to Keeton.... what planet are you from John???:eek::D
I'm speechless...... Very artistic and the description is right of out some magazine I dont read.....but heard about! Time to hit the big time circuit, amigo!!

Well, this is the multi-piece turning on which I have been working, and for which the flutes were turned. It is different, and began with this -

The base is curly maple, as are the streams, and the flutes are quilted maple with African Blackwood stems. The base is approx. 10" wide, and the overall height is just under 10". The flutes are 6" long.

The African Blackwood and quilted maple flutes, depict the stark contrast of man and woman. There is little room for gray, as compromise has not been required. This union will require much of them.

Quick in strength and force, often a manifestation of power and energy, red symbolizes love, blood and the martyrdom of Christ and represents man in this union. Devotion and harmony, associated with understanding, blue is the color of tranquility symbolizing Mary and Advent.

The beautiful sea of purple, signifying divinity, reverence and royalty represents life together - no longer lives separate and apart, but one together - a new life melding the unique qualities of the two. The beautiful grain and chatoyance depict the vibrant life they share together. The volume of the pool exceeds the capacity of the goblets as their life together exceeds that which they would have had alone - boundless and free to reach out.

The first ripple is wide representing the struggle of coexistence, but then it subsides into calm. The next ripple represents the first of many conflicts, but over time, those conflicts fade in intensity, eventually exhibiting the peaceful calm that comes in the autumn of life.

Sean Hughto
09-23-2010, 4:25 PM
Very conceptual and creative. I'm sure it will be a hit.

Doug W Swanson
09-23-2010, 4:43 PM
John,

That is very well done! Excellent job!

Doug

Joe Aliperti
09-23-2010, 4:51 PM
John,

Stunning piece! What a creative idea and way to see it to fruition. You have set the bar even higher for yourself. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures!

- Joe

Joshua Dinerstein
09-23-2010, 5:00 PM
Wow. That is just amazing. I find myself speechless.

Joshua

Tim Rinehart
09-23-2010, 5:07 PM
Wow, John...that's something I'd expect to see in the next AAW Journal!!

Fantastic vision to put that one together. Just remarkable. Wow!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2010, 5:09 PM
Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!

Mike Cruz
09-23-2010, 5:14 PM
I can only imagine the headaches this caused you. Just beautiful.

Jim Silva
09-23-2010, 5:52 PM
phenomenal.

David Hullum
09-23-2010, 5:54 PM
You constantly amaze me!! That is beautiful.

Wayne Bower
09-23-2010, 6:00 PM
Wow, Wow, Wow. That is really a beautiful piece.

Roger Chandler
09-23-2010, 6:04 PM
Wow, John...that's something I'd expect to see in the next AAW Journal!!

Fantastic vision to put that one together. Just remarkable. Wow!:)

Tim, don't be surprised if it happens! I won't! ;):) I think most likely another WOW cover is order!

David E Keller
09-23-2010, 6:10 PM
Very nice, John. I love the coloring. I really like the way the figure in the wood mimics actual liquid. I think you've done a great job transitioning from conceptual to actual... Of course, the sketch is quite detailed.;):D

Fred Perreault
09-23-2010, 6:38 PM
John, that is far out.
You are too much...........

Robert McGowen
09-23-2010, 6:45 PM
That is something else, John. Did you design it for someone specifically or is it a display piece?

David Christopher
09-23-2010, 6:46 PM
there's not much left to say, its all been said......WOW

Ken Hill
09-23-2010, 6:52 PM
Great labor of love John...I dare not call it work!

Russell Eaton
09-23-2010, 7:04 PM
INFREAKINGCREDIBLE !!!! That is AWESOME!

Michael Ginsberg
09-23-2010, 7:08 PM
John,
WOW!! I hope that will be shown at the next symposium.

Bob Wolfe
09-23-2010, 7:54 PM
Now I've seen it all. That is quite a piece. I especially like the way you created the illusion of a puddle on the base. That is so cool. Keep em coming.

gary Zimmel
09-23-2010, 8:02 PM
All I can say is wow. Seeing it all together is sweet.
Beautiful craftsmanship John....

Tony De Masi
09-23-2010, 8:02 PM
Jiminee Crickets Mr. Keeton. That is one incredible piece of work/art. I don't have any idea how you artists do this kind of stuff either.

I keep looking real close at all of your turnings, at least the ones you have shown us, and I still haven't been able to find that table leg.:rolleyes:

I think the big boys will hear of you quite soon Mr. Keeton.

Jon Lanier
09-23-2010, 8:16 PM
Okay, I quit turning after seeing that!

That would be neat to have on hand for when I do weddings.

Tom Sherman
09-23-2010, 8:58 PM
John this is one incredible work of art. All of the components flow together in a most humbling way. You have out done yourself with this one absolutely wonderful.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2010, 8:59 PM

The thought turned into substance, and what a substance it is :cool:, I know everyone will OOH and AHH over this piece (rightly so) I just say well done !!!!
It's out of this world, John

Scott Hackler
09-23-2010, 9:10 PM
Nice piece John. Quite a bit different than what you have been doing. Very "artsy"!

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 9:48 PM
Thanks, guys! It is very different from what I normally do, but it was an interesting piece to bring together.

I assume the lettering is lasered into the wood...Kind of makes me think of my union of many years.Steve, yes, it was laser engraved, and then after the dye process and lacquer, I rubbed in gold paint. And, glad you were able to appreciate the symbolism.:)

I can only imagine the headaches this caused you. Just beautiful.Mike, all of the turning portions of this were actually pretty easy - carving the streams and getting the coloration correct was really the tough part.

Steve Vaughan
09-23-2010, 9:55 PM
That is just the coolest thing! Well thought out and executed!

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Incredible pieces,, brought together perfectly... Great... Truly Art!!!
BTW.... uh... what's your real name, anyway... I know you're just masquerading as John Keeton... Why are you pulling this scam on us??:D;):p

Jake Helmboldt
09-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Okay, I quit turning after seeing that!

That would be neat to have on hand for when I do weddings.

Exactly! Now we know why Keeton has been refraining from buying a new full size lathe; he knows that half of the Creek is going to be selling their lathes after seeing his work!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2010, 11:04 PM
I still haven't been able to find that table leg.:rolleyes:

Tony,

It is kinda hard to imagine 4 of these under a table top isn't it?:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2010, 11:12 PM
John don't know what to say except to say it is beautiful.

Van Huskey
09-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Absolutely stunning visually and artistically!

Kirk Miller
09-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Very nice work John. well thought out, and well executed. It will be a long time before something comes along that tops this.

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Excellent work John!

You know that I value the imagination used in turning above just about everything! Your turning skills have developed exceptionally fast and you have already created some artistic pieces that are truly stunning! This is one of those pieces!

The neat thing about this turning adventure is that the more you embrace it, the more inspired you become! The progression of your art proves the point!

Thanks for sharing the journey! Looking forward to seeing which doors will open next!

Have fun my friend! :cool:

William Hutchinson
09-24-2010, 6:42 AM
Putting physical form to embody the spiritual qualities of a struggling human bond maturing into lasting tranquility is quite a feat in itself; your sculpture did this admirably.

Andrew Kertesz
09-24-2010, 6:53 AM
John,

Your work never ceases to amaze everyone!! The turnings you show are absolutely stunning and give me something to aspire to while trying to increase my skill level. I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind. How long have you been turning and how much time do you get weekly on the lathe?

This piece is AWESOME!!!

Andy Kertesz

John Keeton
09-24-2010, 7:35 AM
Thanks for all the follow up comments!!!

Steve S., you deserve a special thanks! Your constant encouragement and help along the way has been invaluable - not to mention the friendship!! Thanks!

Andrew K., I started turning in October of last year, with a set of table legs, and then some Christmas ornaments. I turned my first cherry 'dish' on Christmas Eve. From there, it has been a constant outflow of $$$$$$!!!:D I think I own more burls than I can turn, and still buying more! As for lathe time, it is seasonal to a degree. In the summer, lots of chores as we have some acreage. In the spring and fall, I hunt a lot. But, most weeks, I can get in 10-15 hours total time.

Baxter Smith
09-24-2010, 7:46 AM
When I got home from fishing late last evening and had finished looking and reading I was well...speechless!:) More than just a turning, even a very pretty one! I guess the "real you" is starting to come out.:)

Alan Trout
09-24-2010, 8:00 AM
John,

That is a very cool effect and very nicely executed as well. Very well done!

Alan

Cathy Schaewe
09-24-2010, 8:46 AM
Unbelievable!

Barry Elder
09-24-2010, 9:55 AM
Please excuse my short comment, but, "WOW"!!!

Mike Willeson
09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Beautiful John....and the fact that you have been turning just a short time makes it all the more impressive and inspirational to us new turners.

Paul Douglass
09-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Well it certainly has all been said and I add +1 to every comment.

Rob Cunningham
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Truly amazing work John. Once again you have raised the bar on all of us.

Mark Cothren
09-24-2010, 2:25 PM
Very well thought out and very well executed!

Pete Jordan
09-24-2010, 2:30 PM
You have to be some famous turner working under an assumed name!

Just wonderful!

Mark Norman
09-24-2010, 4:21 PM
Putting physical form to embody the spiritual qualities of a struggling human bond maturing into lasting tranquility is quite a feat in itself; your sculpture did this admirably.

I must agree with ^^^

I got goosebumps reading the artist depiction.

A+ on the design and the excecution.

Gary Herrmann
09-24-2010, 5:48 PM
Oh my. That's just beautiful, John.

Mark Hubl
09-24-2010, 6:43 PM
Very creative work John. The piece is nicely executed, love the colors. Is this to be a wedding gift?

David Hullum
09-24-2010, 7:03 PM
It is so nice I have to post twice. I keep coming back to look at it. I do not think you are human.:D

James Combs
09-24-2010, 8:31 PM
There is really nothing left to say. If I had though of it I would have said any or all of everything said. Way to go John.

John Keeton
09-24-2010, 9:59 PM
You folks are just too kind!!:o Thanks, so much.

Is this to be a wedding gift?No, Mark, it was just something that came to mind.

Randy Gazda
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Way to raise the bar!

Nice work.

Joe Adams
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
John,

You have a gift.

It's time to give up your day job and concentrate on creating art.

Bravo!

steven carter
09-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Wow John!

I guess you can tell that I hadn't seen this before we talked yesterday, because I sure would have mentioned it. This is just fantastic, everything about it is great, but I am especially impressed with the two "streams" as I have done some carving, and know how difficult that would have been for me, but you got it done perfectly. It is a rare combination to have the imagination to think up somehting like this and then the craftmanship to produce it.

Steve

Moshe Eshel
09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
my utter admiration for this piece.

I have not been visiting SMC as much as I'd like lately, but a friend sent me a link to this post, at first, seeing the link during my workday troubles, I thought "Oh well, another nice piece by John...", I even had complaints that the sketch looked more lively than the creation.

A few minutes later, I took another look, this time at the enlarged photos and with more time to spare - I was stunned! first by the creation and execution - and then by my inability to see this at first view...

So John! I never seize being surprised by you, in a good way, and this time is no exception - you outdid yourself yet again. I am proud to be a member of the same forum, though I suspect that I should be kicked out based on my (non) accomplishments :)

I love the goblets, I love the base, I love the idea, I love the "statement" - I love it as the combination and I think it is brilliant, and not to leave the technical achievement and glorious finish out...

Keep up the good work, if this ever goes on sale, let me know your asking price!

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 4:17 PM
Randy, Joe and Steve, thanks for taking the time to comment and I appreciate your kind words.

Moshe, a special thanks to you! Admittedly, the technical aspects of the 'turning' of this piece are rather simplistic. It was the message to be conveyed that stirred me to do this, and I very much appreciate your in depth comments. Not every turning is done with the idea of impacting someone's view of life, but this one was special for me in that regard. For those that "got it" I feel blessed.:)

Curt Fuller
09-27-2010, 7:01 PM
John, I've been pondering your inspiration behind this piece. In your profession, I would suspect you see more cases where the two flutes don't flow together quite as well. Would this be a case of looking at the brighter side of life and expressing your thankfulness that your life has been good?

John Keeton
09-27-2010, 8:41 PM
Curt, my practice is largely divorce cases in which custody is the primary issue - the worst of the worst. There are no winners.

Yet, I have been truly blessed with successful children, all in church, doing a great job raising 13 grandchildren. I am married to a wonderful lady that is truly my best friend. Without doubt, that was the background from which the inspiration arose for this piece.

Thanks for the thought and comment!

Matt Hutchinson
09-28-2010, 9:05 AM
John, I have been meaning to comment on this piece for a few days now. Great concept, and beautiful execution! I always enjoy seeing new and creative ideas, and you've done a great job with your choice of wood and color combinations.

Thanks!

Hutch

Roland Martin
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Curt, my practice is largely divorce cases in which custody is the primary issue - the worst of the worst. There are no winners.

Yet, I have been truly blessed with successful children, all in church, doing a great job raising 13 grandchildren. I am married to a wonderful lady that is truly my best friend. Without doubt, that was the background from which the inspiration arose for this piece.

Thanks for the thought and comment!

John, you simply have a God-given talent of self-expression that resonates in everything you do. I honestly admire the way you can proceed from start to finish with your particular vision and statement and end up with clearly "Poetic Art". In my opinion, this "package" is "the one" that you will remember as the initiation into the art world in which you unquestionably deserve. ABSOLUTELY TOP SHELF"!!!:eek:

Sadly, I have missed way too much time on this forum these past couple of months and very much miss the learning and sharing. I've been blessed with a more than full work load this summer and really need to take full advantage while it's here. It doesn't even look like I'll be able to join the contest that you've put together for October.