PDA

View Full Version : First Time using cermark and getting really messed up results

Dan Ashlin
09-23-2010, 3:50 PM
So, i got my first batch of cermark in the mail today to get ready to do saome flasks for a wedding. I figured it try it out on some scraps around the shop to get my bearings on it. Firs, i tried our mider saw. The cermark jsut seemed to stain the saw the first go round, but didn't engrave using the reccomended settings (100 Speed X 25 Power). So, i slowed it down a bit to 100 x 10 and ran the other side. This time, it stained it and the cermark washed off a little. What did mark is now rusting rapidly. So, scratch that, We'll try another piece of metal. I used the back of a piece of engraving stock. Marked great, no staining, but the cermark washed off completely and it looks like i didn't do anything to it at all. What am i missing here?

Bruce Volden
09-23-2010, 4:18 PM
First off, what are you trying to engrave on? When I engrave/mark with Cermark I first clean the area with DNA. Then apply a diluted (1:4 +-) mixture of Cermark, 1 part Cermark to 4 parts DNA. I like applying with a foam brush (most of my work is on knives) as you can throw 'em away! The application dries to an almost transparent look. My settings are 15 speed, 75 power, 400DPI with my 35 W machine. Results have always been GREAT. On occasion things will go wrong (mispell??!!) and I have had to remove the markings with my buffer as this stuff REALLY sticks well, actually it does more than stick but thats the term I use. Feel free to ask more.

Bruce

Andrew Mammoliti
09-23-2010, 4:28 PM
Hi Dan what watt is your laser? Are you spraying it on?

Dan Ashlin
09-23-2010, 4:35 PM
25 watt laser here. I assumed my saw was stainless, it looked like it to me. All items were cleaned with DNA before hand and applied the cermark with a foam brush

Andrew Mammoliti
09-23-2010, 4:39 PM
Try 100% power and 10 Ips, or 10% speed, I use the spray and it applies much better and smoother, image is also darker when lasered. You were going too fast by the sounds of it. It needs to be full power on your machine and much slower speed.

Thanks Let me know.

Dan Ashlin
09-23-2010, 4:40 PM
Already ran it on 10 speed, that washed off completely

Andrew Mammoliti
09-23-2010, 4:42 PM
Dan check your PM.

Mike Null
09-23-2010, 5:11 PM
It's really important to apply a thin coat of cermark. Too thick and it won't adhere. I rarely have a problem with steel but aluminum is another matter.

There have been many threads on this topic. Just do a search to view them.

Frank Corker
09-23-2010, 7:04 PM
On a 25 watt the speed needs to be almost dead slow with 100% of the power. Your initial settings were off by so far. On a 45watt using 30 speed with 100 power you get a good result.

As has been mentioned, the cermark needs to be very thin and barely covering the steel. You also have to be aware that at slow speed the heat generated by the laser beam may cause distortion of thin metal.

Dan Hintz
09-23-2010, 8:56 PM
Frank, I'm surprised you can go that fast... with my 70W+ I'm running at around 25S for a good mark.

Dan, make sure there's no clear coat on whatever you're trying to mark, too. Cermark won't bond with clearcoats.

Hilton Lister
09-24-2010, 2:10 AM
I run at 100% power and 12 - 15% speed depending on the thickness. I mix it quite thin (Milk consistency) with Methylated spirits, brush it on quite thickly and flow it back and forth across the surface until it dries reasonably evenly. then finish off with a hairdryer. Satin finish stainless gives better results than polished.
Have to admit that the finish from the aerosol cans of Cermark appear blacker than the paste, but it is so expensive in comparison.

Andrea Weissenseel
09-24-2010, 2:58 AM
I use the spray can and spray it on thin and engrave it at 20% S with 95% P

Andrea

Hannu Rinne
09-24-2010, 3:04 AM
I'm using Thermark LMM14-S on stainless with 15 speed / 65 power. I'm sparying it straight from aerosol can which makes the layer quite thick and makes also too much waste... ( for me the price of 170gr spray is $ 102,- so it might be much reasonable to start to us paste ). I've been wondering if there's any difference between Thermark / Cermark ? ( Cermark seems to be just a little cheeper here - for some reason... )

Regards, Hannu

Dan Ashlin
09-24-2010, 7:23 PM
Well, f I run it on a speed of 2 it works lol. If
You refer to my other thread about getting a new laser, I guess I can add power loss to the list of problems lol

Andrea Weissenseel
09-25-2010, 2:28 AM
If we are talking so much about power and speed settings, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tell us how much wattage your system has ;) It' easy to integrate it in your signature

Andrea

Hannu Rinne
09-26-2010, 6:00 PM
If we are talking so much about power and speed settings, it wouldn't be a bad idea to tell us how much wattage your system has ;) It' easy to integrate it in your signature

Andrea

You are absolutely right - I'm sorry - signature added :o

Regards, Hannu