PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0698 or Delta 46-460 Whats right for me?

Jay Jagerson
09-23-2010, 3:15 PM
I have tried to to stay away from the vortex, have been able to put of the lathe for a year now but I'm back.

So what lathe would be a good fit, Grizzly G0698 or Delta 46-460?

At this point I have no real desire to make huge bowls at this point, I think I would enjoy the bird houses and ornaments, etc for now, maybe a set of small bowls. I dont really like to buy to small of a tool and wish for a bigger one latter but the Grizzly seems just so overkill for what I'm looking at doing at this point. I cant tell on how big the vortex will be on me, one never knows I guess.

Another thing I'm not to sure about, I have a Oneway Talon Chuck and from what I read they dont recommend that chuck for a lathe over 16" swing. With the smaller stuff I'm planning would the Talon chuck work or would that be a lost cause? I would need another insert for the chuck, I think I have a 1" in there now and the Griz is a 1.25".

For the overall dollars that appear to be spent on this vortex/hobby I think the lathe may be the small bill. I guess what I'm saying, I dont want to be picking up nickles while five dollar bills are falling out of my back pocket:)

Any words of wisdom from the people who have travled this path before me?

Thanks

Jay

Thom Sturgill
09-23-2010, 3:27 PM
You can always turn small items on a big lathe, but you can't turn big items on a small lathe. I started with a Jet 1220VS and upgraded to a Jet 1642. I recently had the opportunity to take a class on turning ornament and we used a Powermatic. What a step up! Larger typically not only means more power but bigger, smoother bearings.

That said, I can't speak to the Griz, as I haven't turned on one, a few have them and seem to like them. I have seen the Delta and it is a fine machine for its size, and the owners seem to love the machine.

dennis kranz
09-23-2010, 3:42 PM
I started on a small 1014 Jet thinking that pens, bottle stoppers and small items would be all I wanted to do. In less than 9 months I was putting money away for my 1642. If you are not sure go with the larger size. I am now thinking of a 3520b.
Dennis

Roger Chandler
09-23-2010, 3:59 PM
Jay,

I have the Grizzly G0698. Both the Delta 46-460 and the Grizz are good lathes. I upgraded from a craftsman Vs, 15" swing lathe, and am glad I did.

I think most turners will tell you to get the most lathe you can get for the bucks you have to spend, in order to not have to keep upgrading [a great way to loose $$$$, for sure]

That being said, if you really do not have much interest in doing anything over 12 inches in diameter, then most likely the Delta would serve you well, and will work with your talon chuck.

The point made about weight and quality bearings, etc and features such as variable speed, reversing etc. really do make a difference. The Delta midi does have VS, reversing, but half the horsepower, and it is also half the size.

If pens, small vases & hollow forms are your interest, then the Delta will save you good money to put into tools and accessories, but you will have to make a stand, or have a bench on which to mount it to keep it stable.

Both will allow you to become an accomplished turner if you use them well, so it boils down to what you believe in your heart is your interests as far as projects you want to do. Good luck! :)

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 4:02 PM
...the Grizzly seems just so overkill for what I'm looking at doing at this point....

For the overall dollars that appear to be spent on this vortex/hobby I think the lathe may be the small bill.... Jay, this is the exact place in which I found myself a few months ago - the Griz or the Delta, and because of your second statement noted above, I went with the Delta.

You are certainly correct in that the lathe is just the beginning! Sounds like you may have some of the basics already, but there simply is no end to what you can - and will - buy to accessorize your lathe.

I do not regret the Delta purchase at all. But, then I really am not a bowl person. I don't have any difficulty turning a 12" bowl on my lathe. From what I understand, bowls larger than that are difficult to sell.

All that said, the Griz is apparently an excellent lathe, and you certainly would not regret that purchase either.

It really comes down to capacity vs. dollars! For the money, the Griz is hard to beat for a larger lathe. On the other hand, if you are not going to turn over 12", then the Delta will do it all - except perhaps core with ease. I have not tried that, but others have been able to do it - carefully.

Best of luck whatever you choose, and great to have you sliding down the slope with the rest of us!!:D

Jay Jagerson
09-23-2010, 4:17 PM
Thanks all for the input.

Do you think the Talon chuck would work with the Griz? Or is it a no brainer and I would need a Stonghold?

Michael James
09-23-2010, 4:34 PM

Do you think the Talon chuck would work with the Griz? Or is it a no brainer and I would need a Stonghold?

Jay, I can hear the sucking sound from NM.....as you slip into the vortex, BIGTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Personally, I dont have the room for a big lathe, or I would be restricted in my garage. My opinion is I will find a buddy to let me use hisher lathe if I want to turn something larger. My eye is on the 46-460 and I'm not budging on that. Make a decision you're willing to live with, and get all you can. You are right..... the lathe itself seems to be the least investment once you start getting accessories and more tools!

Bill Bulloch
09-23-2010, 5:36 PM

I believe the Talon Chuck will work on the Grizzly for most of the turnings you will be doing. The Grizzly has a 18" swing, but in reality you will only be able to turn about 17", and the Talon will work for that. That is, unless you are loading an extra heavy blank that is really out of balance.

I have the Delta 46-460 and really do like it, but I just ordered the Grizzly so I can move up to larger stuff. By the way the Grizzly is on back order right now. They told me they expect it in their Missouri Warehouse on Oct 15.

Roger Chandler
09-23-2010, 6:02 PM
I believe the Talon Chuck will work on the Grizzly for most of the turnings you will be doing. The Grizzly has a 18" swing, but in reality you will only be able to turn about 17", and the Talon will work for that. That is, unless you are loading an extra heavy blank that is really out of balance.

I have the Delta 46-460 and really do like it, but I just ordered the Grizzly so I can move up to larger stuff. By the way the Grizzly is on back order right now. They told me they expect it in their Missouri Warehouse on Oct 15.

Bill,

Since the Grizzly G0698 has a sliding headstock like the PM and the Jet 16/42, one can turn off the end, and turn up to 38 inches[this would be for platters, but not some long heavy log blank for a large hollow form; not off the end of the bed, that would be inviting trouble!]. Another plus for the G0698 is that there is a lot of different configurations along the bed for most any setup that one might want to use.

For example, I have taken the headstock about 2/3 down the bed, and because I have limited space in my shop, I was able to maximize the room for standing and using long hollowing tools by that configuration. The ability to configure the headstock and tail stock positions have been a great help to me.

Paul Douglass
09-23-2010, 8:45 PM
Well weirdo me, just went the other direction. I went from a bigger to a little smaller. I have the Delta 46-460. purchased recently. So far I love it. I also have a Nova 1624, a good lathe but I've always wanted a smaller lathe. I really like the size of the Delta. Plenty of power for it's size. I think it will be my definite go to lathe. I can not comment on Griz stuff. I don't own anything of theirs and probably never well.

Donny Lawson
09-23-2010, 9:31 PM
Well, my Delta 46-460 was an excellent machine and I never had the first problem with it.I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a midi lathe for smaller bowls or pens. Right now mine is being taken apart and cleanned since the fire. It will run again.
Donny

Paul Douglass
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, my Delta 46-460 was an excellent machine and I never had the first problem with it.I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a midi lathe for smaller bowls or pens. Right now mine is being taken apart and cleanned since the fire. It will run again.
Donny

Don that is really good to read. All is not lost.

Jake Helmboldt
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM

The Talon will do everything you need if you get the Grizz. You would be surprised at how big even a 16" bowl is once you have it in your hands. And you won't be turning at the 18" max that much. The Stronghold will simply be bigger and bulkier than you need (and an added expense). Spend the money on additional jaws or another Talon body since the jaws are not interchangeable between the Talon and Stronghold.

Jay Jagerson
09-24-2010, 3:22 PM
Thank you all for the information, if my Talon chuck will work I'm leaning towards the Griz. If I get to turning some bigger stuff I can always update the chuck.

With that said next i will come home with a Delta:)

Thanks again all.

Jay

Joe Scarfo
09-24-2010, 4:52 PM
Jay...

I started making pens on a Delta Iron Bed lathe... I wanted to make bigger bowls but decided the lathe just couldn't handle it...

In the meantime I had purchased a Delta Midi for the pens... and went on the hunt for a 3520B which I picked up a few weeks ago... and I love it...

I'm considering selling the midi and turning everything on the 3520B...

Good luck with your choice.. as long as you;re patient an dbuy used lathes, you won't get hurt fincially if you decide to upgrade ... or down grade later...

Joe

charlie knighton
09-24-2010, 8:32 PM
both make things go round

Dave Ogren
09-24-2010, 8:53 PM
Jay,

Two years ago I was in your same position, wondering what size to get. I kept reading thei forum and finally made up my mind to get a 3520. Wanting to get a good deal I started looking for a used one. Finally I found one, only about an hours drive from my home. He kept putting me off on the delivery date, always had only two more bowls to make for his friends, call me in two weeks. All of a sudden I started to find Oneways available within a few hours of drive time. I decided that I was done waiting and wasn't going to wait any longer. The morning that I was going to actively buy something indtead of the 3520 that I really wanted I looked on e-bay and viola there was a Voisey-Busse Design Lathe also known as a VB 36. Within days we had made a deal. Never owned a wood lathe before and am very pleased. What that means is buy the most you can afford and you will never look back.

Good Luck and happy future turning.

Dave

Thom Sturgill
09-24-2010, 9:29 PM
Just one chuck? If you ask around I think you'll find that you will end up with several. I have 4 and 2 more on the way.