PDA

View Full Version : Using Shaker Rail & Stile bit set for T&G Panels

Dave Gaul
09-23-2010, 1:15 PM
I have the Shaker Rail & Stile bit set from Whiteside... is there any reason I couldn't/shouldn't use this set to make Tongue & Groove joined panels? To me, it looks like a 2 bit slot cutter set!

This is the set I have: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/13121

Roger Jensen
09-23-2010, 1:41 PM
The only difference is depth of the groove. R&S joints generally have 3/8 inch depth, but when doing tongue and groove joints you may want to use 1/4 depth when doing 90 degree joints. I can't tell from the link how deep your set is. There may be other times you want a 1/2 inch depth.

You could also get replacement bearings from WS to get the depth you need. Be aware that bearings have slightly different heights, so you may need to adjust the shims in the two-cutter bit to get the proper distance between cutters.

Dave Gaul
09-23-2010, 1:46 PM
Thanks Roger! I thought that might be the only difference. For the application I'm considering, the R&S depth should be just fine. Good idea regarding different bearings, thanks for the tip about the shims!

Roger Jensen
09-23-2010, 1:57 PM
I have the Summerfeld T&G set, and they are designed to leave a small gap between the end of the tongue and the bottom of the groove (this is only visible when looking from the edge). I assume this is to hold a little extra glue instead of it squeezing out. The R&S bits I have don't have the gap, probably because these joints are likely to be more visible.

If you think you want the little extra gap you could adjust your router fence to cut the tongue a little shallower than 3/8 so you get the gap.

Roger

Dave Gaul
09-23-2010, 2:05 PM
Interesting! Thanks again.

I am considering buying a V-grove T&G set, so this may not be an issue for me at all... just trying to weigh all options!

David Prince
09-23-2010, 9:09 PM
Don't most of the dedicated T & G sets have a taper to the joint?

I know when using T & G wood it makes it a lot easier to fit the pieces together if there is a taper.

Dave Gaul
09-24-2010, 7:12 AM
Don't most of the dedicated T & G sets have a taper to the joint?

I know when using T & G wood it makes it a lot easier to fit the pieces together if there is a taper.

All the T&G sets I've seen show a flat solid joint. The only setup with any kind of relief is the v-groove T&G sets, which drives the price up quite nicely!!!

Ron Bontz
09-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Whiteside makes different size bearings as well. I had to make some T&G myself. Bought a slot cutter and changed the bearing.:)

Dave Gaul
09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I ordered the v-groove T&G set from Eagle America. LOML decided she likes the v-groove panel look for the project. Can't complain about justifying and new router bit!!

The EA bit comes with 3 different bearing too!

And David, I did see that EA had one T&G bit that produces the taper you mentioned...