PDA

View Full Version : Any projects for metalworking lathe?

Alex Kuzn
09-23-2010, 1:00 PM
I have finally got a metalworking lathe :D in addition to my Powermatic 3520
As a first project I'll be making some aluminum face plates for my Powermatic.
Can you suggest any other woodworking related projects I can do on a metalworking lathe?

Thanks,
Alex

ray hampton
09-23-2010, 1:26 PM
may I ask the make of your metal lathe ? the first thing that you will need is a mallet----keep every body informed as to your ideas

David Woodruff
09-23-2010, 5:12 PM
Alex, I have a 4400 lb beast from MSC/ENCO. I use this extremely accurate and stable beast to: Make waste blocks that are superbly circular and flat which is essential to circular indexing to the workpiece, flatness for CA gluing to the workpiece base. Precision turning of Ebony, CocoBolo, etc. base and throat rings prior to CA gluing. No guestimate on the digital readout. For the rings of a HF with an interferrence fit of .0005" then wicking in super thin CA at the interface. Cheating, I think not, use the technology available, not that this has been hi-tech fot 125+ years. Think of it as metal lathe machining of wood. If I really wanted to punish myself I could get a re-pro of an old treadle lathe. My philosophy is use the best as you can afford, strive for transparency of machinery introduced artifacts and explore your creativity with freedom. I am amazed; however of the beautiful pieces created on a Treadle Lathe, however time consuming. Artists have existed always regardless of the technology. Anyway back to the metal lathe, and of course I use the beast to make tool rests of many sizes; 2" to 14" and cutting tools, steady rests; difficult to imagine wood turning life without a good metal lathe; I guess I should mention the 1968 Bridgeport, also a fine machine that compliments the lathe in metal tool fabrication. I have talked enough.

Dave Ogren
09-24-2010, 9:02 PM
David,

The '68 or '69 Bridgeport was the last of the good ones. The following year the casting thickness became much thinner and the machine weighted a lot less, and machining tolerances grew much larger. Really sad even to mention this kind of stuff. But that is history.

Dave

Greg Bender
09-24-2010, 9:34 PM
Dave,
have to agree with you,I grew up in Bridgeport,CT and watched over the years the slow demise of that company.I worked for one of there competitors and a sister company going back to 1908, Moore Tool makers of the best jig grinders and jig borers ever made.I have a jet milling machine and wish I had room for a nice 12 by 40 or so metal working lathe.It must be nice

David W.
know anybody who might have a milling machine vise for sale locally here in NC.Shipping on those things is murder.

Alex,
congrats on the lathe acquistion,what kind and what size?
Have Fun,
Greg