PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive help

Deane Shepard
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
I have an adhesive question that is not exactly engraving connected but I know of no greater pool of knowledge than here on the Creek.

I have a friend who does a lot of work with handblown glass in decorating for events. She needs a clear adhesive that will bond two pieces of glass together, but not be permanent, i.e. after the event, the pieces will be separated. The final requirement is that the adhesive most hold under water.

As an example, she may place two or three tall glass vases in a shallow glass bowl or tray. The vases need to be secured to the tray for the duration of the event, a few hours to a few days, but then be separated so that the glass can be reused in another configuration later. The shallow bowl or tray may be filled with water or gel to keep flowers fresh or for the decorative effect and the water moisture can not dissolve the bond.

So 1) clear, 2) bond glass to glass, 3) non-permanent, 4) not water soluble

It would be acceptable to have to soak the pieces (say in mineral spirits) to dissolve the bond.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Deane Shepard
Universal M-360

Doug Griffith
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I'd give 3M a call. Here's one pressure sensitive tape that might do the job:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0_nid=TD71D4CGQCbeS 0CK81H2Q8gl

You can purchase small quantities of 3M tape at McMaster Carr.

Before filling with water, running a bead of Vaseline around the perimeter of the joint might help with temporary water proofing.

Joe De Medeiros
09-23-2010, 11:30 AM
3m sells a foam tape that has acrylic adhesive, it's very strong and water proof. I would use small pieces on the base, so that it's easy t remove, but still holds.

Martin Boekers
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
This may work....

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=20

Marty

Anthony Scira
09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
How about plain old silicone. The stuff they use on glass aquariums. Easy on, easy off and made for water.

Robert Walters
09-23-2010, 1:28 PM
How about good old fashioned rubber cement (cured of course)?

Or maybe carpet tape?

David Fairfield
09-23-2010, 2:37 PM
How about plain old silicone. The stuff they use on glass aquariums. Easy on, easy off and made for water.

Ditto that, meets all four requirements. Small dabs are easy to peel off.

Ed Mihalack
09-23-2010, 7:55 PM
How about good old fashioned hot glue?

Deane Shepard
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank you all very much for the great suggestions. I think there is a solution in there. You are great.

Deane Shepard
M-360