PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used a Festool MFK 700 router?

Roger Jensen
09-23-2010, 10:53 AM
This router is going on sale Oct 1 and I'm thinking about it. I have the Bosch Colt, but the poor height control (lots of slop when loosening, adjusting and tightening) has me thinking of upgrading. Also, any kind of dust collection would be better than no dust collection on the Bosch. It is the messiest tool in my shop.

Another option is the new Dewalt plunge router announced at IWF, but I don't think anyone has gotten their hands on one yet.

BTW - I'm not a hard core Festool guy. I have two of their sanders, which have been very good, and I use their guides with my Hilti saw.

Roger

Tom Ewell
09-23-2010, 2:15 PM
Adjustments are very precise. The router itself is well made, I like the stability of the teardrop shaped base, very smooth and flat as well. Don't recall if Porter Cable template guides fit this base or not. (probably do)

In horizontal mode, the router excels at edge banding but is limited to the thickness of banding it will handle... something like 5/8" or so.... haven't tried full 3/4" but I suspect that it would at or be slightly beyond the upper limit.

"Normal" overall bit lengths with 3/4" or 1" cutting edge are usually too long to fit collet depth and still clear the horizontal base. There is probably a bit out there that will work for ¾” edge, just haven’t looked that hard into it.

If you do P-laminate edging, you'll need to get the 0 degree horizontal base to trim flush and square to the top subsurface (assuming that one applies the "top" laminate after edge band.)

Adjustment is very limited compared to the Colt and all other trim routers I've used, something like 1/2" (off the top of my head).

Profile cutters are limited to roughly 1" OA diameter and the 1/2" height adjustment comes into play again.

Dust collection is similar to the other Festo routers but not as good as their sanders. IE, when doing edge work, most of the debris is collected but there is still a mess, usually directed down and out, substantially less than one would get with a Colt without collection, however.

Having a vac hose hanging on the thing can be cause for awkward moments in handling but once one gets used to it …. it’s not too bad.

Roger Jensen
09-23-2010, 2:25 PM
Thanks - I'm not sure I understand the issues with maximum bit length. I have seen this mentioned before.

Is it only a factor when doing horizontal routing? It seems like it shouldn't matter when the router is vertical (like a Bosch), unless it won't fit with the dust collection hardware.

Thanks again,

Roger

Tom Ewell
09-23-2010, 2:38 PM
Right, bit length applies only to the horizontal base (that I've found so far) and is my primary beef with the unit. The 1/2" adjustment was also a little disconcerting to me at first but now, not so much.

PS, I went out and checked out the under base hardware for DC. One attaches directly to the base and another is attached to the edgeguide.
Both are plastic with the potential to be modified to accept longer bits but as they stand, if you were to use the DC hardware for edge profiling you'd be limited to roughly 1" below the base. A small diameter pattern bit might get by being longer.

I normally don't use the underbase collectors but it appears that if you did it would collect even more of the debris.

Roger Jensen
09-23-2010, 3:00 PM
Thanks - I guess you can get a little more effective height adjustment by moving the bit in and out, but that will be pretty limited.

I just cut 70 mortises for 35 butt hinges for my kitchen cabinets and small adjustments with the Bosch were tedius. Since I occassionally had a hinge I had to make proud a fraction of an inch it meant adjust/trial cut/adjust/trial cut, etc. Of course if I had made my inset doors exactly right it wouldn't have been a problem...

Roger

Tom Ewell
09-23-2010, 3:07 PM
Yeah, bit placement "up and down" helps out with the height adjustment thing.

Precision depth control for your hinge mortises is right up this routers alley.

Will Blick
09-23-2010, 4:31 PM
Have you considered adding a Micro plunge base to your Colt? Its is a great system IMO...

http://microfence.com/images/pb_new_1.jpg