PDA

View Full Version : New Kindle with 3G and wireless

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 9:59 AM
Got LOML a new 6" Kindle for an early B'day present. That is one slick little marvel.

.5 pound, pencil thin, a month on a charge, cheap.

I get it now. I have seen the future and it saves trees. More trees for us to cut up...

Yea, yea. It's not an ipad, but it is not supposed to be - so sit down.

Scott Shepherd
09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I have seen the future and it saves trees.

Yeah, saves trees and also gives us all those wonderful toxic byproducts used in making electronic equipment. Nothing says "Save the planet" like a battery in a landfill :eek:

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, saves trees and also gives us all those wonderful toxic byproducts used in making electronic equipment. Nothing says "Save the planet" like a battery in a landfill :eek:

Debbie Downer.

Start a new thread examining the diesel and other resources used to harvest and transport the trees/produce pulp and paper and then transport the books and the by-products/pollutants of paper/ink manufacturing. I'll be glad to offer a few links showing the disgusting acid-laden mess downstream from just about every pulp mill and the naked mountaintops.

Even the recycling of paper has it's down side.

It would be an interesting comparison.... mining/chips/batteries/plastics/disposal compared to trees/paper/transportation/pollution/recycling. Which has the smallest footprint.

I'm guessing if during the lifespan of an 8oz Kindle containing a 1.5oz battery, 100 to 300 books, magazines and newspapers are not produced the kindle comes up with the smaller footprint.

Even by reading magazines and watching video news clips on my 2yo laptop I've avoided making/disposing of 100+ periodicals... and counting.

In part:

http://cleantech.com/news/4867/cleantech-group-finds-positive-envi

"New report conducts lifecycle analysis of Amazon’s Kindle, suggesting significant environmental advantages compared to the publishing of books, magazines and newspapers."

"The Cleantech Group forecasts that e-readers purchased from 2009 to 2012 could prevent 5.3 billion kg of carbon dioxide in 2012, or 9.9 billion kg during the four-year time period. "

http://gigaom.com/cleantech/why-the-kindle-is-good-for-the-planet/

Glenn Clabo
09-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Mitchell,
My wife and I are a convert also. She even has an Ipad for work...but goes to her Kindle for reading books/articles. I can sit outside and read for as long as I want without any eye strain. When we moved we realized how many books we actually have but since getting the Kindles we have limited our paper books to a VERY few. However...the REAL reason we love them is convenience. Every book we have bought (literally 100's) since getting the Kindles are at our finger tips. Makes mobility and reading extremely pleasant.

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 11:47 AM
When they make a color screen.... look out. That will truly make college textbooks, art books, travel brochures, etc., things of the past and blow the market wide open.

On the down-side....

I can imagine my Kindle buzzing to alert me that a brochure with a discount coupon (and bar code on the screen) has arrived for a restaurant at the next exit on the highway. THAT'S coming, mark my words. ...Hope the feature has an 'off' button.

Chris Kennedy
09-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I recently bought the really fancy Kindle through work (it's the 9inch), and I am pretty bloody impressed. I bought it because there are more and more reference works I use that are available for Kindle, and I thought it would be nice to have them in a lightweight electronic version that I can carry with me anywhere in the world.

It is nice to be carrying copies of twelve books rather than the books themselves. The books are a little cheaper in Kindle format as well. These are high level math texts, and they are graphic intensive (although not color). I know that there are some calculus textbook publishers already going into e-Book format. I don't know if I would want to read it on a 6 inch screen, but it is already happening.

Cheers,

Chris

Bonnie Campbell
09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I just got my 6" Kindle this week. I'm VERY impressed with it. Since I'm a book lover, I'll end up buying the paper versions of some books also. After having moved from MS I DON'T want to ever have to decide what books I'll give away again. With the Kindle they say you can have something like 3500(?) books on it. Figure out how many boxes THAT would take to move if in paper!

Scott Shepherd
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Debbie Downer.

The highlight of my day, being call Debbie Downer by Mitchell. Irony is at finest :)

Keith Harrell
09-23-2010, 12:55 PM
Gave one to my wife and she really likes it compared to my ipad. The Kindle is a lot easy to hold for long term reading compared to the ipad.
The other reason is now I don't have to share the ipad.:D

Mike Zilis
09-23-2010, 1:10 PM
My wife bought me a Kindle DX last Christmas. I liked it. I found it on the slow side - as far as turning pages and using the menu system and the keyboard was terrible. I presume the new models are better. Anyway, a month later the iPad was announced and I sold the Kindle on eBay. What I miss the most about the Kindle is the no glare screen and being able to read in direct sunlight.

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 1:16 PM
The highlight of my day, being call Debbie Downer by Mitchell. Irony is at finest :)

I'm starting a club.

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 1:20 PM
What I miss the most about the Kindle is the no glare screen and being able to read in direct sunlight.

Mike

You NEED light, just like a book. I also got the leather cover with the book light. It's powered by the kindle.. clever.

Wayne Hendrix
09-23-2010, 1:41 PM

While he did say "saves trees," he also said "for us to cut up," so he wasnt really saying "SAVE the trees," he was saying "saves the trees for WOODWORKERS." No implication of trying to save the planet. :D

Dave Lehnert
09-23-2010, 2:04 PM
I would like to have one just to read the news paper but want color.
Reviews say that papers like USA Today is watered down and not as much images.

Be great to get your woodworking magazines on.

Darius Ferlas
09-23-2010, 2:52 PM
Quite a coincidence. No more than two hours ago a friend came over to brag with his newest generation kindle. I really liked it and wifey will be getting one for Christmas. She always takes a book with her (just in case there is a line in the store). That little kindle will make things and choices easier for her.

I read that you can import pdf format into it, but not sure if it need to be a book bought from Amazon, or can I also transfer books I already bought elsewhere.

A side note: I'm kinda unsure about my position on the whole issue of saving trees, discussed on a woodworking forum ;)

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 3:18 PM
I read that you can import pdf format into it, but not sure if it need to be a book bought from Amazon, or can I also transfer books I already bought elsewhere.

It has a USB connection, so PDF files will import from a computer. Handy if you have a LOT of emails to read while sitting on the throne.

It will also charge via the usb, so you can leave the charger at home if have a laptop handy.

Darius Ferlas
09-23-2010, 3:40 PM
Thanks Mitchell.

Looks like the new awesome ROS will have to wait. Kindle gets the priority.

Glenn Clabo
09-23-2010, 8:31 PM
Each Kindle has an email address so you can email pdf's for a few cents.

Ben West
09-23-2010, 10:10 PM
I've looked at the iPad and Kindle, and just ordered the Kindle. It seems a very simple decision to me.

If you just want a book reader, the Kindle is better at that task in almost every way. If you want a device to do a little of everything, read books, surf the web, read email, calculate your retirement, etc, the iPad is the clear choice. Both are great little gadgets.

Tom Esh
09-24-2010, 8:56 AM
Stumbled on this video blog for it while researching another product:
http://www.eevblog.com/2010/09/02/eevblog-108-amazon-kindle-3-3gwifi-review/ (http://www.eevblog.com/2010/09/02/eevblog-108-amazon-kindle-3-3gwifi-review/)

No destruct testing on the Kindle like some other products he's done, but informative and entertaining anyway. (...and of you're an engineering geek of course you'll want to be sure to watch part 2 where he takes it apart.)