PDA

View Full Version : If you think that slot cars --

Dale Thompson
12-17-2004, 10:18 PM
do not involve woodworking, please check the following link. NO!!! Please don't. It's really boring. http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=41

Whatever, check out my post on the OT forum entitled, "Christmas in 1:32 Scale". It is also very boring. Anyway, what do you expect from an old shriveled up Cheesehead? :) :)

Dale T.

Dick Parr
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Very good article Dale. That sure brings back some good memories of growing up. Use to do a lot of SLR and really use to get into the competition. :)

Thanks for bring back some good memories. ;)

Greg Narozniak
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Do they still use Gorilla Snot :)

Dale Thompson
12-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Do they still use Gorilla Snot :)

Greg,
I'm familiar with the old terms "Tiger Milk" to clean the tires and "Candies" as they referred to those colorful soft-sponge tires. They are apparently both out of vogue. Now we use "Silies" (Silicone tires) and magnets on the plastic chassis'. No more of that neat brass and stainless. The problem with running magnets is the speed you can get. INCREDIBLE!! When "rookies" run my track, they are limited to the NASCAR vehicles. The F1s are quite fragile and I don't even allow myself to run THEM! Except, of course, for my "Red Rocket" (a '96 Williams F1 with a few minor upgrades). It will beat everything by at least two seconds on a 100' course. I only use it for "showing off" because any racing is not really fair.

What is "Gorilla Snot"? :confused: :)

Dale T.

Jim O'Dell
12-18-2004, 10:55 AM
That is neat. I think a lot of us remember the hobby store just outside of downtown that had the 8 lane race track. Sold track time in 10 minuts slots.....We actually have a slot car track open here in West Fort Worth. They put in a drag strip a year ago. No, I haven't been. I've got 2 expensive hobbies now (woodworking and showing dogs), with a third in boxes (model trains), I can NOT get hooked on another, so I haven't actually seen the track except through the glass one day when they were closed. Great hobby for a dad and son, or granddad and grandson!! Jim.

Scott Parks
12-18-2004, 2:21 PM
Dale,

You got a picture of your track and cars?

Jim Fancher
12-18-2004, 2:32 PM
Dale, you are truly evil for posting this. I really don't need another hobby. :D I've sort of been looking at slots off and on for about two years. I'm a car nut and I love the larger scale slot cars.

Dale Thompson
12-18-2004, 8:58 PM
Dale,

You got a picture of your track and cars?

Scott,
If I didn't have pics, most of my "friends" on SMC would not understand what I am trying to say. Since it is the holiday season, I will not mention any names. ;) They know who they are anyway! :D :D

I don't have any good pics but I hope that the attached will give you an idea of my layout. I am obviously "scale challenged". Most of the extra stuff on the track are presents from friends and neighbors.

Pic #1 shows part of the 17' elevated straight and the 25 deg custom built banked curve.

Pic #2 shows the starting grid. Some of my cars are also shown. :)

Pic #3 is a wider view of the track. :confused:

Pic#4 looks down the track toward the banked curve. The "dancing" Ostrich is a real fun present from a friend. The loser has to press the "Button" and endure the totally obnoxious dancing and singing of the "ostrich". :( :mad:

Pic #5 is me in my "Vette". Am I georgeous - or what?? :rolleyes: ;)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
12-18-2004, 9:10 PM
Dale, you are truly evil for posting this. I really don't need another hobby. :D I've sort of been looking at slots off and on for about two years. I'm a car nut and I love the larger scale slot cars.

Jim,
My layout is 1:32. Unless you are into HO, 1:32 would be your best choice in terms of both car availability and track selection! Jim, EVIL is a RELATIVE term. :D "TRULY EVIL" approaches complementary status! :) :) ;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! The new Scaley F1s are a BLAST!! :cool:

Dale T.

Brian Buckley
12-18-2004, 9:51 PM
Thanks Dale, that brings back some wonderful memories.

Brian