http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/OCanadaFront.jpg

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/OCanadaSide.jpg

http://fgvanatta.tripod.com/OCanadaBack.jpg

alex carey
09-23-2010, 1:32 AM
wow thats a beauty, nice job.

Jon Lanier
09-23-2010, 2:26 AM
Just amazing color. Nice form and finish.

Ray Bell
09-23-2010, 3:00 AM
Very nice Frank. I have a burl like this, and have been thinking about how to turn it. How did you clean up the outside (bottom) of this?

Frank Van Atta
09-23-2010, 3:24 AM
Very nice Frank. I have a burl like this, and have been thinking about how to turn it. How did you clean up the outside (bottom) of this?

The bottom was turned and finished first, with the flat face of the burl mounted on a screw chuck. Then I turned a jam chuck that loosely fit the curvature of the bottom, centered it using a tailstock chuck adapter, and attached it using blue tape, hot melt glue, and several wedges. This became the chuck for hollowing out the top of the bowl.

Ray Bell
09-23-2010, 4:28 AM
The bottom was turned and finished first, with the flat face of the burl mounted on a screw chuck. Then I turned a jam chuck that loosely fit the curvature of the bottom, centered it using a tailstock chuck adapter, and attached it using blue tape, hot melt glue, and several wedges. This became the chuck for hollowing out the top of the bowl.

Thank you Frank. If you look at the second picture it doesn't look like the very bottom has been turned. Is this just an illusion?

Frank Van Atta
09-23-2010, 4:36 AM
Thank you Frank. If you look at the second picture it doesn't look like the very bottom has been turned. Is this just an illusion?

No, it isn't an illusion. The bottom was flattened just enough to ensure the bowl is stable (see the last picture). I like to leave as many of the spikes on the burl as possible.

Ray Bell
09-23-2010, 4:56 AM
No, it isn't an illusion. The bottom was flattened just enough to ensure the bowl is stable (see the last picture). I like to leave as many of the spikes on the burl as possible.

I like the spikes. How did you clean, and polish the area amongst the spikes?
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to do this right.

Michelle Rich
09-23-2010, 8:00 AM
very nice bowl & I'm sure the chucking was iffy, but it was worth the end result. Very appealing vessel

bob svoboda
09-23-2010, 8:53 AM
Spectacular. Good job Frank. That's a lot of crazy figure there.

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2010, 9:28 AM
Beautiful Frank. I just turned my first Mallee. Love it.

Paul Douglass
09-23-2010, 9:52 AM
Really awesome ye. Sure has a maple leaf shape. I got to look for a piece of that wood.

John Keeton
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Now, that makes an impressive bowl!! I like the overall effect that you have achieved.

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow - the color sure jumps out at you! Great bowl!

Chris Haas
09-23-2010, 11:23 AM
they should have given those out instead of gold medals. stunning

Robert McGowen
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Very nice, Frank. What finish did you use?

Michael James
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Looks like a geode cracked open and polished... very beautiful piece.
I marvel daily at the creativity applied to get some of these pieces to the finish line. thanks for posting!

David E Keller
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Pretty stuff! Great use of a gorgeous burl.

Richard Madden
09-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Beautiful..very :cool:. This is of great interest to me cause I've got a couple of big leaf maple burls and I'm trying to figure out how to tackle them. You should be proud, really nice looking!!!

Frank Van Atta
09-23-2010, 1:02 PM
I like the spikes. How did you clean, and polish the area amongst the spikes?
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to do this right.

I usually use a brass brush and a Dremel tool to clean up around the spikes if necessary. (If the burl is coated with wax, heat with a hair dryer, blot with a paper towel, and repeat until all the wax is removed.) When I get ready to finish the piece, I use a small craft brush to apply shellac to the spike areas. One coat is usually enough - it goes on pretty thick with a brush.

Ask all the questions you want; the whole purpose of these forums is to help one another and share ideas/techniques.

Very nice, Frank. What finish did you use?

Three coats of hand rubbed shellac and mineral oil (one brushed coat on the spikes) and then buffed with Tripoli/White Diamond/Carnauba Wax.

Frank Van Atta
09-23-2010, 1:06 PM
very nice bowl & I'm sure the chucking was iffy, but it was worth the end result. Very appealing vessel

The first couple of these I did the chucking was pretty iffy, but over time I've found that plenty of (high temperature) hot melt glue and the judicious use of wedges creates a very strong hold (thank you, Terry Scott). But I still use the tailstock as much as possible and take small cuts.

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2010, 1:40 PM
Awesome work on some awesome wood!! If I'd done that, I wouldn't have any buttons left on my shirt. Great job!! :)