PDA

View Full Version : Ever feel like chucking the whole thing?

Dan Karachio
09-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Not to be a whiner, but lately nothing I do in the shop is working. Having taken music lessons in the past, this kind of frustration is usually a sign that I am about to bump up in skills, but it's a pain and frustrating. As a pathetic exercise in self pity, I actually priced out all my tools for what I might get for them on Craig's List! So, instead of whining and cleaning up the shop over and over, I am pushing on, but I hope it ends soon. FYI, my two stumbling blocks are in cutting clean and accurate dovetails and mortise/tenons - by hand, with a router, a table saw, bandsaw... just need to find what works for me.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2010, 1:17 AM
Dan,

I have been there periodically throughout my life in more areas than just woodworking in my shop.

Currently I am experiencing a similar problem finishing a table I built for my wife.

It has a lot of firsts on it for me but the old "finishing" problem is biting me again.

Couple that with going deaf now and running up against insurance company constraints yesterday. My patience is wearing thin.

And yet, I 'll strip the lacquer off that table top and get it done right. I will either get a fix for my hearing or learn to deal with being deaf.

I have outlived my father by 15 years already. I have 3 wonderful kids, 7 wonderful grand-kids, 4 wonderful great-grand-kids with another on the way....and life is good.

I will beat this finishing problem and learn a lot along the way.

You will overcome your problems too!

Dan Karachio
09-23-2010, 2:15 AM
Hi Ken. Now I feel like a spoiled brat for whining about wood working!

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about how to handle your hearing, but I can tell you from family experience this - that you are acknowledging it is no small thing and will make things easier for you and your family. My mother in law cannot hear, but she will not acknowledge it. She simply refuses to accept it and yet we all yell in her face and she misunderstands people all the time, including doctors, because she cannot hear them (leading to more misery). We want to help, we want to talk to her, but by being afraid to admit it and deal with it, she is actually shutting herself out from everyone. If she had a different attitude, she would be happier. Does this make sense?

Okay, I will tackle my skills issues and best of luck to you on that finish! I'm sure you will lick it!

Andrew Arndts
09-23-2010, 5:49 AM
I hear your anguish man... We all go through it.
If I can parallel Wood working to performing Comedy...
A comedian will be working on ones routine for 10 years until they find their voice. Now I would have to say that a wood worker can very easily take 10 years to define a particular style or method but more often I would assume that it would take much less time.

My Grandfather had a sign in his office that read, "The hurrier you go, the behider you get." He also had a saying, Patience is a virtue. "Possess it if you can. It is seldom found in woman, and never found in man."

If anything, take a break from dovetails. perhaps as short as a week. Find your focus.

Brian Ashton
09-23-2010, 7:52 AM
I just turned to my wife and asked her how many times have I wanted to sell off all the tools and throw it away. She says it's at least 6 times in the past 15 years. Sometimes the tools are not touched for a year but I always end up come back to them.

I've been at it since I was 12, I'm 46 now, and(!) I still can't cut great fitting dovetails. Just did some last night and they suck! But! I have really learned how to hide the loose fitting ones! Personally I really couldn't careless if they're tight or not anymore. I no longer do woodwork for a living so it really doesn't matter anymore.

Don't sweat it. It'll come. Lower your expectations to where you do it because you want to and enjoy it not because you want to be able to compare with someone else's skills. If there's no joy in it then put the tools away till you find you have the desire again.

John Coloccia
09-23-2010, 8:12 AM
Sometimes it's good to take a deep breath and get back to basics. I do this a lot when a machine starts acting funny. I start from square one and methodically make sure it's setup properly. Sure enough, I'll find something that's drifted just a tiny bit. That gets fixed and things are good again.

Maybe forget the joinery for a couple of hours and make sure all your tools are tuned so that wood comes out with faces that are parallel, edges that are square and everything straight. Precision work starts with precision stock preparation. When I goof, it's almost always because some edge somewhere wasn't straight or parallel.

Anyhow, it's a great feeling of satisfaction with I can go to whatever machine I want, make a cut, slap a straight edge or a square on it and have it be, for all intents and purposes, perfect. It's one less thing to worry about.

Harold Burrell
09-23-2010, 8:23 AM
I remember when I was a kid. My dad passed away when I was 14. Tough time for a guy to lose his dad...

My mom remarried 3 years later. And in the "adjustment" time with my step-father, he tried to teach me to golf.

I sucked.

However, as much as I hated it, I refused to give up (I am horribly competitive). And then...it happened. I still vividly remember hitting the shot. It was a beauty. And I remember thinking, "Hey...I can do this!"

The same feeling has come on occassion with my newest endeavour...woodworking. I remember the first time I tried handcut dovetails (actually, the first several times). They were horrific. Something out of the Flintstones. But I perservered...ugh.

And then, I got it. It worked. I made a box that was nearly perfectly fitting. And I thought once again, "Hey...I can do this!"

Keep at it. You'll get it. The failures make the successes all the sweeter. AND you will grow in the process.

BTW: This vid really helped me...
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/08/04/podcast-36-hand-cut-dovetails-with-robby-pedersen/

Rod Sheridan
09-23-2010, 8:37 AM
"Ever feel like chucking the whole thing?"

Yes, every time I make two lefts instead of a pair, or realise that although the 3/4" and 5/8" forstner bits are beside each other in the box, the 5/8" bit is the one with 5/8" marked UNDER the bit location.

I chuckle everytime I watch the credits at the end of The WoodWright's Shop.

You can see an outake where Roy is looking at a partially completed Windsor chair, and he tosses it in the scrap.

It makes me chuckle every time I see, because we all have those moments.

Keep forging on, the fact that you've asked the question means you're thinking about the process, that's a good thing.

Regards, Rod.

John Coloccia
09-23-2010, 8:46 AM
"Ever feel like chucking the whole thing?"

Yes, every time I make two lefts instead of a pair, or realise that although the 3/4" and 5/8" forstner bits are beside each other in the box, the 5/8" bit is the one with 5/8" marked UNDER the bit location.

I chuckle everytime I watch the credits at the end of The WoodWright's Shop.

You can see an outake where Roy is looking at a partially completed Windsor chair, and he tosses it in the scrap.

It makes me chuckle every time I see, because we all have those moments.

Keep forging on, the fact that you've asked the question means you're thinking about the process, that's a good thing.

Regards, Rod.

Somewhere sitting in my dumpster is 4 or 5 guitar necks, several bodies, etc etc. All happy little accidents. I refer to them as "prototypes" but only because I didn't get it right the first time. LOL.

glenn bradley
09-23-2010, 9:26 AM
I eased a lot of pain by collecting old pallets and any other usable cast offs. I did (and still do) use this material for mock ups and test runs on new techniques or designs. A pallet runner would not make a good practice board for dovetails but, when it comes to dovetails, I am not driven by them. I use them occasionally but they are fussy for me and so I generally design without them.

You may want to reconsider what you are trying to make at this stage in your work. After a large or taxing project I will routinely make a batch of small boxes, picture frames or do-whats-itz just for diversion. I do not persue the curlyque styles but would probably become quickly frustrated if I went after a crowned highboy with eagle-clawed feet. I have never done this type of work and skills need practice to develop.

Breath, cancel the CL ad, relax and have some fun ;-)

Mitchell Andrus
09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Self-improvement isn't supposed to be easy. Watching TV.... now THAT'S easy.

PM me your address, I'll swap you a 32" TV for all of your tools to settle your nerves. Saturday is good for me.

BTW, I too studied music, took lessons. 2 hours/day for two years got me into a few jazz and swing bands on the sax. Pain/reward.

Ben Franz
09-23-2010, 10:59 AM
I think getting frustrated with oneself is close to a universal life experience. Not to over-generalize but, people attracted to craft activities like woodworking seem to be more suceptible to self criticism - we are detail oriented and any "mistake" or imperfection can be very upsetting. Maybe it's just unavoidable. I try to let go of my fixation on perfection as I get older but it isn't easy. Compare it to an activity like golf: If you play like I do, a round of golf is maybe 95% failure with 2 or 3 successes and that's what keeps it interesting.

Chris Padilla
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
I thought everyone's stuff turned out perfect the first time. Mine does.

:confused:

;):D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2010, 11:14 AM
I thought everyone's stuff turned out perfect the first time. Mine does.

:confused:

;):D

In your dreams Padilla.....only in your dreams....:eek::rolleyes::D

and this from a guy who has curtains on his shop windows too!

Chris Padilla
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
In your dreams Padilla.....only in your dreams....:eek::rolleyes::D

and this from a guy who has curtains on his shop windows too!

My God, those curtains have been gone for like 5 years!!! I think I know what to get you for your shop for Christmas, Ken....hehehe :p

Lee Schierer
09-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Cutting dovetails with a router for me was a challenge until I learned that the the jig I had was a piece of junk and replaced it. Also had to learn that the height of the bit in the router made a huge difference in how the pins and tails fit together. Once I figured that out and set the height properly in my new jig, made a test cut or two on scrap my dovetail fit up got much better and they were no longer a problem.,

Mike Cutler
09-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Dan

Everybody feels like you do from time to time.
My current project requires legs that are a compound, tapered ( width and thickness), radius, with dados for shelves, and a ledge for a skirt, and just for fun a perpindicular face in one section to mount doors. (Google the Charles Remy MacKintosh Music Salon table and you'll see what I need to do.)

It took me about 3 days just to develop a router jig to do this accurately. I was ready to give up too.

Keep at it,and make no mistakes about it, the two joints you are struggling with are not easy to do well. They take time to learn to execute properly, even with all the whiz bang jigs available.

Jim Rimmer
09-23-2010, 1:41 PM
We're all with you here. I personally struggle with mounting hinges. I'm working on a project right now to make some boxes for work to hold testing samples (half dollar sized metal pieces). My box (finger) joints came out fine, I figured out how to route the slots to hold the samples, calculated the right height for the lid to clear the samples yet hold them in but I screwed up the first box because I can't mount the hinges properly to make the lid line up with the bottom. And I make boxes a lot. I was so frustrated I was ready to slap the hinge on the outside of the box rather than mortise it in. But I'll get it.

As others have said, we are own worst critics. Hang in there.

Don Alexander
09-23-2010, 6:26 PM
if we were ever totally satisfied with what we make there would no longer be that drive to do it better the next time :D

thus a little "failure" here and there is a great motivator :D

Mike Cruz
09-23-2010, 7:10 PM
Yeah, if it makes you feel better (probably won't, though) I've been there. I just have to walk out each time. Come back later, or even another day to see if the stars decided to line up for me. But, that is, of course, not what you want. You want to be out of your funk. Sorry, I have no sympathetic "everything'll be dandy" magic wand that will make everything hunky dory. Just know that this too shall pass. Even so that isn't very comforting...

Can you tell I'm in one of "those" moods? Not only did I screw up my right arm (tennis elbow) about 2 months back, but I just screwed up the OTHER one...same D#$$ed thing. I can't pick up a soda without pain. Beer? Well, I manage... Going for cortizone shots in both elbows tomorrow. Yipeeeee.... Hey, this is not a hijack. Don't anyone make it into a tennis elbow thread.

Did I mention I'm cranky right now?

John Coloccia
09-23-2010, 8:42 PM
Yeah, if it makes you feel better (probably won't, though) I've been there. I just have to walk out each time. Come back later, or even another day to see if the stars decided to line up for me. But, that is, of course, not what you want. You want to be out of your funk. Sorry, I have no sympathetic "everything'll be dandy" magic wand that will make everything hunky dory. Just know that this too shall pass. Even so that isn't very comforting...

Can you tell I'm in one of "those" moods? Not only did I screw up my right arm (tennis elbow) about 2 months back, but I just screwed up the OTHER one...same D#$$ed thing. I can't pick up a soda without pain. Beer? Well, I manage... Going for cortizone shots in both elbows tomorrow. Yipeeeee.... Hey, this is not a hijack. Don't anyone make it into a tennis elbow thread.

Did I mention I'm cranky right now?

Switch to scotch. It's lighter. You're welcome.

Dan Karachio
09-23-2010, 10:56 PM
You may want to reconsider what you are trying to make at this stage in your work. After a large or taxing project I will routinely make a batch of small boxes, picture frames or do-whats-itz just for diversion.

That is great advice (so was everyone else). Obviously I am not ready for what I am trying to do, so small projects will help me get my "chops" up - I can have fun making something, anything... while getting a little sharper on overall skills. Funny thing is I did exactly this last year and it was in the most productive spree I ever had in my little shop. Gees, Glenn, how did you get to be such a wise fellow? :D

Mike Cruz
09-24-2010, 7:56 AM
A couple of light beers in the evening, then a daquerie (wow, I think I bombed on spelling that one!) with dinner. I was much better. :D Looking forward to a little shop time this morning before my double cortisone injection today. :o

Stephen Stark
09-24-2010, 8:34 AM
I am going through the " I think I need a different hobby" phase right now. Haven't done a thing in the shop for 6 months, not really motivated to do anything right now either, but I see all those tools and lumber waiting and then I get to feeling guilty, I should be doing something, which in fact only makes it worse. I know there is something wrong when I use the excuse that I can't think of anything to make, Sheesh! The cold weather is coming, I've wasted the summer oh geez the downward spiral is starting.:o Sometimes I think we over think stuff, a friend calls it paralysis by analysis, maybe its best just to put your head down and forge onward. But hopefully the spark will return and the ideas will start to flow.

Harold Burrell
09-24-2010, 9:04 PM
Seriously...I am having trouble relating to this thread in regards to wwing. Of course, I am new to it...so the novelty of it all hasn't worn off yet.

But then again...I will probably NEVER run out of things to make as my darling wife (of 30 years this month) continually adds to my list of things to build.

I absolutely love making the stuff for her. And I love the enjoyment that it brings to her when it's done.

Hmmm...

Come to think of it...I'm wondering what it is that I enjoy more...

The woodworking...or the "pay"...

:eek:

:cool:

Dan Karachio
10-07-2010, 5:52 PM
It's been a while, but I am out of my funk. I went back to just working on some basic skills and when it got frustrating, I burned off energy cleaning up and reorganizing the shop. Then back to experimenting on scrap. This was repeated a number of times. Let me tell you, my shop is nicer than ever. However, now I am starting to see results. First, my chisels and planes are working better and are sharper then ever (I practiced sharpening too).

Better than that, after about 10 tries, I cut some nice single dovetails for connecting a top rail to some legs. I tried them completely by hand 8 times and gave up. Butt ugly was the result. Then I tried a combination of using my router table, hand saw, chisels and band saw and I have a perfect joint that I have done four times. All this was on a poplar scarps and a poplar prototype, but if I had tried this on my nice wood, I would be looking at an expensive pile of dust and chips. Meanwhile the stack of nice mahogany and maple sits there patiently. I can almost hear it saying, "Take your time, but keep going man. We will be here when you are ready."

Sean Troy
10-08-2010, 5:56 PM
It's been a while, but I am out of my funk. I went back to just working on some basic skills and when it got frustrating, I burned off energy cleaning up and reorganizing the shop. Then back to experimenting on scrap. This was repeated a number of times. Let me tell you, my shop is nicer than ever. However, now I am starting to see results. First, my chisels and planes are working better and are sharper then ever (I practiced sharpening too).

Better than that, after about 10 tries, I cut some nice single dovetails for connecting a top rail to some legs. I tried them completely by hand 8 times and gave up. Butt ugly was the result. Then I tried a combination of using my router table, hand saw, chisels and band saw and I have a perfect joint that I have done four times. All this was on a poplar scarps and a poplar prototype, but if I had tried this on my nice wood, I would be looking at an expensive pile of dust and chips. Meanwhile the stack of nice mahogany and maple sits there patiently. I can almost hear it saying, "Take your time, but keep going man. We will be here when you are ready."
Thats good news!!! Love to see some pics of the joints when finished.

Harold Burrell
10-11-2010, 8:48 AM
Meanwhile the stack of nice mahogany and maple sits there patiently. I can almost hear it saying, "Take your time, but keep going man. We will be here when you are ready."

Yeah...you know it's back when the wood starts talking to you again.

:D

Chuck Wintle
10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Not to be a whiner, but lately nothing I do in the shop is working. Having taken music lessons in the past, this kind of frustration is usually a sign that I am about to bump up in skills, but it's a pain and frustrating. As a pathetic exercise in self pity, I actually priced out all my tools for what I might get for them on Craig's List! So, instead of whining and cleaning up the shop over and over, I am pushing on, but I hope it ends soon. FYI, my two stumbling blocks are in cutting clean and accurate dovetails and mortise/tenons - by hand, with a router, a table saw, bandsaw... just need to find what works for me.

Yes there have been times when I wanted to chuck everything and become a hermit. But then I realized hermits don't have access to the internet. :D

Michael Arruda
10-11-2010, 4:09 PM
I call them "dark times of the soul." Kinda makes acting like a whiner sound more intellectual and brooding.

I'm kind of in one right now- I'm working on a new project, making Cremation Urns, Customized and carved on my CNC. Things have been going wrong left and right as I try to get this set up so I can make some good examples to get into local funeral homes. I've made the contacts, have the venue to get the product out there, but things keep going wrong getting the darn things built. To compound that, it's been so long that I've been working on this without an appreciable income otherwise, that I'm 2 months behind on the car and mortgage. Oh, and I'm getting my migraines back again. :)

Keep at it- the deepest pit of self pity has consumed many- don't let yours consume the light of day. I trust that God will help me out of this and get me to where I need to be.

Don't give up on what you love!

-Michael

Don Jarvie
10-12-2010, 3:21 PM
If you have the time consider taking a class somewhere on the skill(s) you need to work on.

I couldn't sharpen worth the beans so I took a class at Woodcraft and while I'm no superstar I understand what the steps are and how to do them.

You would be surprised a quick 2 hr class with someone showing you the right way how fast you can pick it up.