PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tool Storage Idea

Gordon Vizecky
09-22-2010, 10:22 PM
In another thread a couple weeks ago I had posted a link to bowl rough out and coring video I had done. Someone watching the video noticed and asked about the tool storage setup briefly shown in the video.

When I bought my lathe, it came with a bunch of turning tools and the bucket I had been keeping my stuff in wasn't going to cut it anymore. I don't like open racks (shaving collectors) and I didn't have the space for a stand-alone rack off to the side.

It finally occurred to me that I should mount a drawer of some sort on to the bottom of the shelving system that I have my lathe under.

The shelving setup is a regular utility type available at any big box home improvement store with an ordinary plywood shelf.

I was mainly interested in proof-of-concept so my prototype is nothing fancy but it works well enough that I will be making a nicer one at some point.

The box itself is some scrap oak that is butt jointed and pocket screwed together with 1/2" ply screwed to the bottom. I used a piano hinge cut to size on the back of the box. I wanted some some cushion on the open and some assistance on the close so I incorporated two cheap storm door closers (one on each side). The rack is held closed with a simple window hasp.

I also eventually want to add an additional box for chucks and wrenches to go on the portion of the shelf over the headstock.

Tips for anyone who decides to do this:

Take the shelf down and put it together on the ground I had a heck of a time putting it up in place. I was too lazy to clear the shelf off thinking it would be easier---it wasn't.

Allow room against the wall for lower rear corner of the box to move or it will bang on the wall.

A stronger door closer may work a bit better.

The shelf above is 3/4" ply without any type of bracing and it bows from the weight on the window hasp.

James Roberts
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Pretty neat idea Gordon, thanks for sharing.

Tony Kent
09-23-2010, 6:13 AM
Hello
Great idea for storage....hmmm think I'll kinda steal part of that from you :eek:
Tk