PDA

View Full Version : "Dino Egg"...

Scott Hackler
09-22-2010, 9:35 PM
... is the name of this piece. This is the first of some BOX ELDER (miss labeled before, ignore references to this being Mulberry) I scored. All the wood, from this score, has these distinct red streaks. Works up great and looks pretty decent, IMO. Only took 2 weeks after the Dna bath to be totally dry and ready for finishing.

The size is 8 1/2" tall and about 5 1/2" wide. Thinned to about 1/8" until the bottom of the vessel, which is about 1/4". Sitting on a little chunk of Claro Walnut. The walnut was coated with Blo and the the vessel was left natural. I embellished the edge by dabbing on dark stain, with a paper towel. 4 coats of rattle can lacquer on all. The last picture is for a size reference.

Thanks for looking and bring on the comments and critics! :)

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg1.jpghttp://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg3.jpg

Michael James
09-22-2010, 9:41 PM
Very nice Scott! I think the edge makes the pedestal work like a champ!
Excellent piece - thanks for posting.
mj

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 9:43 PM
Really nice work! I think we have another "artist" on the creek!

David E Keller
09-22-2010, 9:48 PM
That's really nice. I love that you went thin, and the overall form is wonderful. Great job.

Baxter Smith
09-22-2010, 9:53 PM
That is a great piece with a very approppriate name! Well done!

John Keeton
09-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Well named, but where did "Dino" go when he hatched?!?!!?:eek::D Very nice work, and that wood sure is nice.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 10:10 PM
That is a beauty. Really nice looking wood.

Paul Douglass
09-22-2010, 10:17 PM
WOW that looks fragile! Nice nice nice!

David Christopher
09-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Scott, that is beautiful, but it looks more like box elder than mullberry

Scott Hackler
09-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I thought the same thing when I was cutting it up but I had my wife grab a leaf off a Mulberry tree in the front of the property and compared it to this fallen tree. They looked identical and both look exactly like every other Mulberry tree I have ever seen. Really weird.

David Christopher
09-22-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought the same thing when I was cutting it up but I had my wife grab a leaf off a Mulberry tree in the front of the property and compared it to this fallen tree. They looked identical and both look exactly like every other Mulberry tree I have ever seen. Really weird.

maybe weird but still beautiful

Nathan Hawkes
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Scott, you have an unusual hunk of wood there! Mulberry leaves are pretty distinct, and can't really be confused with a box elder unless you're blind. I got a piece of mulberry that has a very reddish orange heart, and light sapwood. Very different in all respects from the mulberry I've turned before; I believe it to be a white mulberry, an asian species. Maybe that's what you have.

Cathy Schaewe
09-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Very, very nice!

James Roberts
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Scott, that is beautiful. Looks as if it could have held quite a large baby dinosaur. It has a very fragile quality about it.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-22-2010, 11:54 PM
... is the name of this piece. This is the first of some Mulberry I scored. All the wood, from this score, has these distinct red streaks. Works up great and looks pretty decent, IMO. Only took 2 weeks after the Dna bath to be totally dry and ready for finishing.

The size is 8 1/2" tall and about 5 1/2" wide. Thinned to about 1/8" until the bottom of the vessel, which is about 1/4". Sitting on a little chunk of Claro Walnut. The walnut was coated with Blo and the the vessel was left natural. I embellished the edge by dabbing on dark stain, with a paper towel. 4 coats of rattle can lacquer on all. The last picture is for a size reference.

Thanks for looking and bring on the comments and critics! :)

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg1.jpghttp://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/egg3.jpg

Scott I've turned quite a bit of Mulberry, both Red and White, and never seen any look anything like this piece you have, I do think you do have Box Elder, but whatever it is, you made quite a beautiful piece from it, I really like the pedestal/foot the shape you gave it just suits it to a T, well done :D

Scott Hackler
09-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Here is a picture or two of the tree (trunk and leaves beside it). The only thing I can think of is that this fallen/rotten tree (with no leaves left on it) had a small Mulberry tree growing right beside it (this is where we saw the leaves). I have never seen a Mulberry look like this but I'm no arborist and just went by the leaves. Either way, I'm thinking of going back after more of it.. now that I have turned some and see the results.

The last pic shows what this giant tree (not owned by me) did to my rental unit!

David DeCristoforo
09-23-2010, 12:27 AM
+10! Bingo. All I can say is I love this piece.

Tony Wheeler
09-23-2010, 2:34 AM
nice job Scott I have never seen any mulberry with red in it but I would sure get more of it

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2010, 4:29 AM
Here is a picture or two of the tree (trunk and leaves beside it). The only thing I can think of is that this fallen/rotten tree (with no leaves left on it) had a small Mulberry tree growing right beside it (this is where we saw the leaves). I have never seen a Mulberry look like this but I'm no arborist and just went by the leaves. Either way, I'm thinking of going back after more of it.. now that I have turned some and see the results.

The last pic shows what this giant tree (not owned by me) did to my rental unit!

Scott what you have there is Boxelder, AKA Acer negundo, Ashleafmaple, Manitoba Maple and a few more names.
I have a few pictures here that should help with the ID of that tree, just have a close look and you will see the leafs in your picture are compound leaves, Mulberry (see picture) has simple leaves, not compound, I also have another picture that shows the compound leave where there are more leaves on one leafstalk, HTH with seeing that what you have there is Boxelder and yes you should get all you can as it looks like very nice and still not too punky.
162284 162285162286

bob svoboda
09-23-2010, 9:08 AM
Nice form and great wood. A definite winner, Scott.

Tim Rinehart
09-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Well done, it really looks like a big Dino egg or perhaps an Egg cup for use with ostrich eggs.
As you inferred...time to go after some more of it.
Great job, I like the pedestal it's on as well.

Scott Hackler
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and thanks to Leo for the tree ID. I wasn't looking as close to my own pictures as he was. Below is a zoom in of the same picture of the stump I posted. Appearently there IS a small Mulberry tree growing beside this massive Box Elder tree stump! I guess that is the leaves we looked at when I cut it up. Now I have to go back in and see about cutting up some more before it rots. Mulberry = OK... Box Elder = more that OK!!

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/treeid.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Very nice turning Scott! Great looking wood but more than anything - I really like the imagination that went into this piece!

Keep up the good work!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Scott....very nice......very delicate.......

charlie knighton
09-23-2010, 4:30 PM
very nice.....

Joe Aliperti
09-23-2010, 4:55 PM
That's a nice piece! Delicate and fragile looking and you did a great job on the pedestal.

Rich Aldrich
09-23-2010, 5:04 PM
Beautiful work. Nice looking wood. Maybe if you go back for more you will find the other half of the Dino egg.

Mike Cruz
09-23-2010, 5:07 PM
I love it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Tony De Masi
09-23-2010, 8:06 PM
Beautiful piece Scott. Nice matching of the egg and pedestal.

gary Zimmel
09-23-2010, 8:13 PM
Scott, that is one very nice piece. Excellent work....

David Campbell
09-23-2010, 8:36 PM
Beautiful piece of art my friend, beautiful.

Richard Madden
09-23-2010, 8:49 PM
Well done! I like!! Do get more of that wood.

Greg Ketell
09-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow that is really nice!! I love the shape, I love the wood, and I love that you got it thin enough that it could actually pass for an egg. Very well done!