PDA

View Full Version : The Fleet is in!!

Tyler Howell
12-17-2004, 10:03 PM
The Fleet is in:confused: First pix look more Like the shores of Florida after one of their hurricanes!
Had the day off just for play. Thought I'd dig in to the fettling process that’s been going on for about Four months now. I had no idea how out of control this had gotten till I lined them all up. I've been lapping and honing, waxing and tuning to my hearts content. Spent a lot of time comparing each plane under a variety of conditions.
Did a lot of mixing and matching of chip breakers, totes, and adjustment knobs to get the best fit and function.
Joel from Tools For WW and Bau of of Baumont's Quality Tools were very helpful.......and patient.

The woody still needs a lot of work. One of my captures from the very early Rust Hunt is being transformed from smoother to a Scrub.
Just about all of them have been put into service for one thing or another on the house projects.
Clearly the New LN and LVs are the superior machines. The LV LA Jack with the HA iron has been a real treat to play with. That and the Bedrock with a Hock A2 are the most fun as is the Sweetheart #80.
I'm very glad I followed this path.:cool:
The journey is just beginning.:D

Mark Stutz
12-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Geez, Tyler.....and I thought I had it bad! ;) I hear that Miller's Falls shave is a little tricky to get the hang of. I have some LV shaves on my list for Christmas! Let me know how they work.

Mark

Terry Hatfield
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
t,

Cool!!!!!! I suggest you think.....cabinet...really, really big cabinet. :D

You have a super nice set going there...notice I didn't say c*llecti*n. :D

Sure wish LV hadn't had a little mixup on my orders. I ordered the LA Jack and then a couple days later the LA block. Got shipping confirm. that the Jack was shipped and due here on the 14th. Sure enough about 6 p.m. on the 14th the door bell rang and I heard the FedEx dude peeling out down the dirveway. I scramble to the door to find a box about 8" square. I look at it with dismay because I'm pretty sure a 15" long plane is not in a 8" long box. They had shipped the block instead and the Jack is on BO until 1/17. I'll live I geuss. At least I did get the block to play with. :D
t

Dick Parr
12-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Wow poor Tyler has really gone over the edge. I guess it's a good thing he never did get into lathe work. :eek: No telling what might happen. :D :D

Dan Moening
12-17-2004, 10:38 PM
G A S P

You said mm...

mmmaa...

machine !:eek:

Those LV spokeshaves are works of art.
My LV wishlist still shows "has = 0" :(

But there's still time!

You can spend hours comparing the minor differences between 2 planes.
That's why it's so important to have more than 1 of each kind.

or, um, so I'm told. :D

Jim Dunn
12-17-2004, 10:45 PM
D-mn Tyler your going to have arms as big as a bull ox driving all those neander tools around. Better eat your Wheaties:).

Really though, nice collection of tools.

Mark Singer
12-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Tyler,

Lookin really good! Enjoy the fleeet your ready to attack (wood)!:D

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
12-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Hey, Tyler, I'm not even going to respond to this one. It might be catching.

Seriously, I enjoy your accounts of your new found infatuation.

Keith Christopher
12-17-2004, 11:26 PM
Tyler,

nice gaggle of planes there, I'm still trying to figure out how you use that bright red one to the left of the open LN box in the second picture ? *giggle* AWESOME collection, I think you're out to top Dave A !

Keith

Lloyd Robins
12-18-2004, 1:03 AM
Tyler, good grief! You really have slipped way down the slope, haven't you. Good luck with the fleet. Keep us posted with pics!

Dave Anderson NH
12-18-2004, 8:01 AM
I am very gratified to see that you have managed to find your way through the gate at the top of the slippery slope. In fact, it looks to me like you took it off its hinges and burned it.;) Obviously your selflessness is rapidly becoming an inspiration to others like Terry Hatfield and John Milinius. Your efforts to help get the universe back into balance will be well rewarded. Endangered electrons everywhere thank you.

I noticed that Millers Falls #1 cigar shave tucked away in the edge of one of your pictures. A finicky tool and a pain in the posterior to sharpen, but very useful once you learn how to use it. Ya see..... I have this thing about #1s, in fact, I own four of them. They are one of my favorite tools and if you have any difficulty getting it to work right, let me know and I'll help you out.

Congratulations on your acquisitions.

John Miliunas
12-18-2004, 8:51 AM
Egads! And you've been "collecting" these articles for HOW long now? :eek: Yeah, I'd say you're well on the way! :)

Jim Becker
12-18-2004, 9:31 AM
Oy Veh!! I can see that the woodworking show tomorrow is going to be dangerous should I tarry in the LV booth...

Nice collection, Tyler!!

Tyler Howell
12-18-2004, 9:38 AM
Thanks Folks,
It's been very educational and fun. A lot of the inspiration came from the creek of course but also the shop keepers took a particular interest when I said I was a student. They helped me dig through rust piles or point in the right direction. The basic POS planes I had acquired before enlightenment can perform reasonably well too after some TLC. You don't have to drive the tool snob models for good results.
It wasn't until I could test them side bye side that I could see and appreciate the features and qualities of each.
Built up a strong grip after hand lapping all this iron.

I purchased the LV shaves on sale back in the spring "Sweeet". Hadn't touched them till the class. I was afraid of them! The Miller Falls was more a curiosity that has turned into a challenge. Going to need a little help on this one Dave. The Iron was in bad shape. Found a new one at Tools For WW. It needed some tweaking too! Still looking for the the the "sweet spot" on the M.F. cigar.
I agree with Terry in a previous thread that "having a user plane restored is a way of honoring the tool and the craftsman that previously owned/used it." Not only restoring them but using them. If nothing else to see how far we've come.
It wasn't the Makita impact driver or the PM 66 that built this great country of ours (and many others). It was these old war horses (with, woodies before that and a sharpened rocks before that).

Somebody please push me off this soapbox! I'm going to go play with my rusty tools.:D

Tom Scott
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Tyler,
Nothing like jumping head-first into the water, eh?
Have fun getting all of those goodies to working condition. That is part of the fun.

Tom