PDA

View Full Version : Skarpaz Saw blades

Ryan Hellmer
09-22-2010, 5:07 PM
Has anyone heard of/used them? I found some on Amazon that appear to be pretty inexpensive. Their website shows that they make TONS of different sizes and styles.

Ryan

David Weaver
09-22-2010, 5:11 PM
There was just a discussion here last week about them, and a shop that was pushing them ahead of Freuds. I don't think there was a resolution in that thread, though, other than most people were surprised to hear of a salesperson bashing freud blades.

Until a few people buy them and try them for a while, we probably won't know more details. The skarpaz site was pretty limited in the information it provided.

Does anyone know the origin of the blades? They strangely don't mention the origin of the blades, just the origin of the carbide.

Edit: looked a little more. At least some of the blades come from singapore, according to someone who had bought some and mentioned their origin. MacRae lists the company as an importer, and signapore might help explain why they're in california.

Rick Lizek
09-22-2010, 6:44 PM
http://www.skarpaz.com/home.html
Great tooling at good prices. We've using their saw blades and jointer blades for at least 10 years in our commercial shop. Next time I talk to my blade sharpener/supplier I'll check on where they are made or see if it says on the blade body. There's plenty of industrial tooling sources only folks in the industry know about as they aren't marketed to the hobbyists. We also use a lot of insert router bits from Hersaf, Southeast Tool, etc.

David Weaver
09-22-2010, 9:41 PM
Southeast Tool, etc.

Southeast tool has a lot of really nice looking stuff and pretty good prices. they may not cater to hobbyists per se, but they were really friendly to a buddy and I at IWF two years ago even though we told them right out we were hobbyists.