PDA

View Full Version : Finally Turning

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 5:04 PM
Well got back Saturday from another 3 week trip moving our son from Richmond, VA to Wichita, Ks. For old dad that was a long hard trip especially moving furniture from the third floor around winding stairs with no elevator.:mad:
Anyway got back Saturday so Sunday got up and went to the shop to find out if the old lathes still knew and would run. Well they did. I have a bunch of Christmas to get done so thought I would get a start. It is a potpourri pot. My sister sent me 4 lids she found and told me I could have 3 if I made her one. It is cedar. 3 1/2" tall and 6" in diameter. She wanted it glossy so finished with minwax wipe on poly. 8 coats and buffed. Feels great. The lids are metal and flat black. Looks pretty good against the cedar. Let me know what ya think. Just good to be back turning again although we are leaving tomorrow for our grandson's birthday Sunday. Grandma said I missed 6 and it ain't going to be 7.:D

Allen Neighbors
09-22-2010, 5:13 PM
Glad you're back to the spinning side, Bernie!! Looks good! First time I've seen these flat black Potpourri lids. It looks nice! Welcome back! :)

Ken Glass
09-22-2010, 5:21 PM
Bernie,
Been there, done that. My Daughter's move wasn't quite that far, but was taxing, none the same. Glad to see your back in the swing, so to speak. I like the wood on the Potpourri and with 8 coats and buffed, I'll bet it does feel great. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2010, 5:29 PM
Bernie - good thing you got a new truck with all the traveling you've been doing!

Nice looking little potpourri bowl! I like the contrast between the color of the wood and the flat black of the lid! Should be big sellers for you!

charlie knighton
09-22-2010, 6:31 PM
very nice.....

David Christopher
09-22-2010, 6:37 PM
that is very nice Bernie, now you only have three more to do

James Roberts
09-22-2010, 6:39 PM
Nice looking piece Bernie, glad you got some shop time in.

Your quote: "Grandma said I missed 6 and it ain't going to be 7."

Sounds like Grandma means business! You miss #7 and you'll probably miss your own 64th.:D

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 8:20 PM
I really like that cedar Bernie. very good finish on it! I think gloss on cedar is hard to beat! Thanks for posting this nice potpourri pot.

John Keeton
09-22-2010, 8:24 PM
Bernie, that lid is a refreshing change from the pewter lids I have and see most often - really looks nice on the cedar!

Glad you are home, and the old lathe still remembers you!

Paul Douglass
09-22-2010, 9:20 PM
That is pretty. For some reason I always figure cedar can not be pretty. I'm really wrong there.

Baxter Smith
09-22-2010, 9:55 PM
Pretty wood and the black lid gives it a nice contrast. Welcome back to turning!:)

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Yep it is good to be turning for sure. I will be gone about 4 or 5 more days and then I hope I am home for a month or so to get caught up. I have to find out where she got those lids for sure. I think the flat black will look good one several woods.

Steve we have put on over 12,000 miles so far but it is nice to have the kids and grandkids only 4 1/2 hrs away now.

James you aren't wrong. If something should happen that I would make her miss his 7th birthday, I wouldn't make it to my 64th for sure.

Cathy Schaewe
09-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Bernie, that's a very pretty piece. I bet the truck needs a wash! I'm sure it's nice to be back in front of the lathe - :)

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks Cathy. Yep it needs a good wash and wax. Yes it is good to be turning.