PDA

View Full Version : Met a Creeker Today!

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2010, 2:25 PM
Creeker, Byron Constantine, took a break from his travels and stopped in for a few hours today! Got to do the traditional shop tour and, my favorite, Show & Tell!

Had lots of fun talking about turning, tools, forms, inspirations, and even a couple of modifications for his lathe! Went through my wood stash and managed to fill up the back of his truck with wood not common to Texas – like Sugar Maple, Birdseye Maple, Curly Maple, Black Cherry burl and a healthy chunk of Box Elder! Should give him something different to turn for a while!

Byron gave me a bag of Texas Ebony – first I have ever seen! Man – that is some beautiful wood and about as heavy and dense as imported Ebony! Should make for some beautiful turnings!

Thanks Byron – for the wood and, more importantly, for taking the time to stop in and visit! It’s always fun to meet and get to know a fellow Creeker!

Have a safe trip home!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2010, 2:32 PM
Congrats Byron and Steve!

Josh Bowman
09-22-2010, 2:35 PM
Agreed,
Congrats Byron and Steve!

The trips to Mecca begin!?

bob svoboda
09-22-2010, 3:09 PM
It doesn't get much better than a Creeker visit. Good on ya!

Ken Glass
09-22-2010, 3:26 PM
Creeker meets are great.....

David DeCristoforo
09-22-2010, 4:28 PM
You're gonna love that wood, Steve. It's not called "ironwood" for no reason but it turns really nicely. I have a mallet I made out a log section a guy gave me and I remember (this was in '85) that it was very easy to work on the lathe as long as the tools were sharp. The stuff will polish without even any wax.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 4:57 PM
Steve and Byron doesn't get any better than that.

Allen Neighbors
09-22-2010, 5:03 PM
Great! It's a good thing, to get to trade wood in a face to face!! Good for both of you. :)

John Keeton
09-22-2010, 7:24 PM
Great visit!! Nothing better than swapping shop stories, tradin' a little wood, and good ol' fellowship with a creeker!

Cathy Schaewe
09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Nice - always fun to meet somebody who enjoys the spinny stuff!