PDA

View Full Version : How long will a Pen Kit last?

Jay Jagerson
09-22-2010, 1:54 PM
To make a long story longer I was going to buy a lathe last year, I did not get a lathe but bought a oneway chuck and a pile of pin stuff (pen kits, some funky looking wood, drills, some kind of spindle thing and some other stuff) from a fellow with the idea I was going to get a lathe.

The plan is to still get a lathe this year but at this point I really have no intrest to make pens. I'm not sure how many kits I have but their has to be 40 or so I think, have not looked at them for a year:).

I would like to list them for sale on Craigs List or maybe here but if the pen kits have some kind of shelf life I would not like the sell them if they are no good.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jay

bob svoboda
09-22-2010, 2:03 PM
As long as the parts have not been exposed to moisture, they should be fine. I might consider putting new refills in the kits to be sure they write ok.

Jay Jagerson
09-22-2010, 2:22 PM
You know I never even thought about just checking one to see if they wright! Some times its just to simple!

ray hampton
09-22-2010, 2:54 PM
is it hard to install a new refill after your pen have been use for a couple months

Jim Meyer
09-22-2010, 3:01 PM
Ray- No, it is real easy. The one I have all I do is take the tip off, old cartlege w/spring comes out new goes in. Jim

Michael James
09-22-2010, 10:03 PM
is it hard to install a new refill after your pen have been use for a couple months

there are several variations on how the refills go in, but none are complicated.

I would agree that moisture (metal) and heat (ink) might be problematic, but the parts themselves should be fine unless someone has fiddled with them. my .02
mj

Paul Douglass
09-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't know how long they last but I have some kits that have been around a long time. They look fine. Don't know how the ink is. If I were you I'd forget craigslist and go over to International Association of Penturners (IAP) to sell them. Or if the price is right, there are pen turners here.

Jon Lanier
09-23-2010, 12:37 AM
3256 licks. So, much longer than a Tootsie Pop.

Greg Just
09-23-2010, 7:01 AM
You might consiuder contacting a local turning club to find buyers. They are likely to pay more than someone on CL. I would not worry about the age of the kits, They were probably make in China a year or 2 ago.

Jay Jagerson
09-23-2010, 8:47 AM
I don't know how long they last but I have some kits that have been around a long time. They look fine. Don't know how the ink is. If I were you I'd forget craigslist and go over to International Association of Penturners (IAP) to sell them. Or if the price is right, there are pen turners here.

Thanks for the info, I would put them on CL or here I think. I would just assume put them on here and give someone a good deal, everyone here has been more than helpful to me, its kinda a way to return a favor.

If I get a chance I will take some pics this weekend and try to post them. There is a decent pile of stuff, some of it I dont even know what it is, all I know its for pens:)