PDA

View Full Version : Planer purchase @ 20% off

Jim Dunn
12-17-2004, 9:27 PM
:( I'm in a quandry (if I got it spelled right, if not I'm in a predicament).

What with Lowes having a 20% off sale would it be wise to purchase the Dewalt DW735 planer. Does anyone have any experience with this particular planer? Are the in/out feed tables an important item as they are not included?

As I don't currently own a jointer would I be foolish to purchase a planer before a jointer?

John Weber
12-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Jim,

I've not really heard any negatives about the DeWalt, @ 20% off it's a very good deal. I started with a jointer first and think that is a little easier, but plenty of guys start with planers. If you have a source for good flat stock you should be fine. But I would guess you will be wanting a jointer sooner rather then later.

John

William Lai
12-18-2004, 3:15 AM
I'm in a similar siutation, and decided that the Dewalt 734 from Amazon is a good deal. It's 303 - $25 Amazon discount - $50 in gift certificate = $228 is a very good deal. It has the same 3 head cutter as the 735, but is missing the two speed feature, which most have judged to be inconsequential. It also doesn't have the beefy construction and look of the 735, but for $175 I can do without them.

Jim Dunn
12-18-2004, 9:13 AM
I looked at the other model also and decided that the low profile would suit my needs for space savings better.

I am however wondering about the non locking screw system for raising and lowering the cutter head.

Jerry Olexa
12-18-2004, 1:04 PM
One litlle thought: its HEAVY (over 100 lbs I think) so its not really portable. Of course so is my Delta 22-580. I probably would have bought the Dewalt but got a good deal on the Delta. You'll be alright..

Scott Behrens
12-18-2004, 10:04 PM
My Local HD was willing to give me 20% off the RIDGID stationary tools to match the Lowes deal even though they are a different brand. Don't know what you are looking to buy, but you might be able to get both a jointer and planer for $560. Just thought I'd mention that option.

Scott