PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0698

Bill Bulloch
09-22-2010, 9:14 AM
I ordered my Grizzly G0698 Lathe yesterday. Like Mike said they are on back order. Grizzly said that they are due in their Missouri warehouse on Oct 15, so I should have it shortly after that.

They also told me that there was an error in there printed catolog: That the Speed Range of 0 - 3200 was wrong. It should read 100 - 3200. I guess that addresses the hunting issue that Roger had pointed out that happens under 100 RPMs.

Can't wait.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a plan Bill. Can't wait to see some turnings off of it.

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I ordered my Grizzly G0698 Lathe yesterday. Like Mike said they are on back order. Grizzly said that they are due in their Missouri warehouse on Oct 15, so I should have it shortly after that.

They also told me that there was an error in there printed catolog: That the Speed Range of 0 - 3200 was wrong. It should read 100 - 3200. I guess that addresses the hunting issue that Roger had pointed out that happens under 100 RPMs.

Can't wait.

Bill,

You are correct Sir, regarding the speed range.........what Grizzly did was to change the advertised speed range to meet what the programing of the inverter does.

Just to let you know, my unit has gotten better over time as the machine has gotten broken in. My lathe will pretty much rotate smoothly at about 75 rpms on low belt setting without hunt and about 180 on the high belt setting. Now Grizzly won't make that an official thing, and mostly they probably look at that as subjective on my part, but it has improved.

That being said, there is not hardly any difference between sanding at 100rpm, and 50 rpm! Turning at 100 rpm is a snails pace, and is nothing but frustrating if you ask me :D

I think you will like the G0698! Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with..........Congratulations!

Don't be surprised if they get it to you a little quicker......I think they pride themselves in doing better than they tell the customer. They want you to have a great customer service experience. At least that has been my experience with them, so far. :)

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Bill,

I was wondering if you can transfer your chucks etc. over to the new Grizzly? It has a 1-1/4 x 8 tpi. spindle, and I wasn't sure what your older version was.

Will you have to get spindle adapters?

Jay Jagerson
09-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Is the price they are asking for this still the same intro price they were asking when they first came out?

I was looking for a lathe about a year ago and I think I saw someware where the price will most likely go up in the next catalog, any truth to that?

I want to get a lathe for this winter, when would be a good time to pull the trigger?

Thanks

Jay

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Is the price they are asking for this still the same intro price they were asking when they first came out?

I was looking for a lathe about a year ago and I think I saw someware where the price will most likely go up in the next catalog, any truth to that?

I want to get a lathe for this winter, when would be a good time to pull the trigger?

Thanks

Jay

Jay,
That is my understanding, and that came to me from someone who had talked with the guys at tech support. The current price of $1295.00 is an "introductory" price.

The new catalog comes out generally Jan.1st of the new year.

Jay Jagerson
09-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Thats good news then, I can wait until Oct or Nov to place an order. Will have to keep an eye open for a Coupon!

Guess I need to decide if I want the Delta Mini or this one, its been a year and I still have no clue:)

Jay

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Thats good news then, I can wait until Oct or Nov to place an order. Will have to keep an eye open for a Coupon!

Guess I need to decide if I want the Delta Mini or this one, its been a year and I still have no clue:)

Jay

Jay,

Only one problem with your plan.........Grizzly only gets a certain number of units in their shipments, and usually they sell out before the order comes in, so if you really want one, you need to get on the list because they fill the back orders that are purchased first, then distribute to the 3 warehouses if they have any left over. This is due to the pace and available capacity of the manufacturer, and not necessarily anything on Grizzly's part.

If I were serious, then I would go ahead and order, if I had the resources, otherwise, it might be next year before a new shipment comes from the manufacturer, and thus a price increase as well.

I will also say, that I think the quality control inspection with Grizzly is better than some other vendors who might carry a similar machine.

Bill Bulloch
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Bill,

I was wondering if you can transfer your chucks etc. over to the new Grizzly? It has a 1-1/4 x 8 tpi. spindle, and I wasn't sure what your older version was.

Will you have to get spindle adapters?

My other lathes are 1 x 8 TPI and the chucks will not fit on the Grizzly. I could buy the adapters, but, since I am keeping the other lathes, I just ordered me two new Chucks: A Supernova2 and a Oneway Stronghold.

The Price for the lathe is the same: $1295.00, but they have incresed the shipping price form $139.00 to @144.00.

Jay Jagerson
09-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Jay,

Only one problem with your plan.........Grizzly only gets a certain number of units in their shipments, and usually they sell out before the order comes in, so if you really want one, you need to get on the list because they fill the back orders that are purchased first, then distribute to the 3 warehouses if they have any left over. This is due to the pace and available capacity of the manufacturer, and not necessarily anything on Grizzly's part.

If I were serious, then I would go ahead and order, if I had the resources, otherwise, it might be next year before a new shipment comes from the manufacturer, and thus a price increase as well.

I will also say, that I think the quality control inspection with Grizzly is better than some other vendors who might carry a similar machine.

One would hope they would honor the price if they ran out. I have no clue how they work as I have never bought from them. It sounds like I should order it now I guess!

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 1:11 PM
One would hope they would honor the price if they ran out. I have no clue how they work as I have never bought from them. It sounds like I should order it now I guess!

Jay,
Most likely Grizzly Industrial does not have control of the number of units the factory can produce and ship, so they most likely will stick with their introductory price up until 12/31/2010, and then those units ordered after that date will probably see an increase in price.

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 3:12 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Bulloch;1519034]

"I just ordered me two new Chucks: A Supernova2 and a Oneway Stronghold."

2 good choices, Bill!

mike caruso
10-04-2010, 5:35 PM
Hello Bill, Mike here just to let you no the g0698 that i orderd on 9/2 is still backordered and after promises of shipment on 9/17 then 10/31 and now 11/26, You should check with them on your order, seems that they have no clue when they will arrive if at all before years end . To bad looks like Jet will get my business got a real good price on 1642 evs from Toolnut should not have to wait 3 months and counting for any product in this global economy, Something is wrong here looks like they have underestimated the popularity of some of there products and can't deliver in a timely manner .
Good luck with your purchase Mike !!!

Roger Chandler
10-04-2010, 6:48 PM
Hello Bill, Mike here just to let you no the g0698 that i orderd on 9/2 is still backordered and after promises of shipment on 9/17 then 10/31 and now 11/26, You should check with them on your order, seems that they have no clue when they will arrive if at all before years end . To bad looks like Jet will get my business got a real good price on 1642 evs from Toolnut should not have to wait 3 months and counting for any product in this global economy, Something is wrong here looks like they have underestimated the popularity of some of there products and can't deliver in a timely manner .
Good luck with your purchase Mike !!!

Mike,

From my experience, and understanding, I think that the problem lies in the scheduling from the factory in china. I believe they give an estimated ship date, and that is what the folks at Grizzly go by, and then if there is some delay from the factory, then the vendors here in the USA and other places are in a bit of a pickle.

Grizzly prides itself on good customer service, and I think this one is something they do not have complete control over.

I just thought of another issue that affects the things coming here from China. I heard on the news some weeks ago that there are some trade issues that the USA and China governments are having [disagreements on open markets, etc] and China has threatened some retaliation in their trade practices, and this may be a factor in slow shipments coming from China.

Jay Jagerson
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Bill, if you call I would be intrested and what they tell you. I still leaning towards the Grizz, have not placed an order yet!

Thanks

Jay

philip labre
10-05-2010, 6:20 PM
I also had the Grizzly on backorder for a month and a half. Gave me time to have more concerns and talk myself into getting what I really wanted. If you're waiting a couple of months for a lathe, what would happen if you needed parts?

Roger Chandler
10-05-2010, 6:53 PM
I also had the Grizzly on backorder for a month and a half. Gave me time to have more concerns and talk myself into getting what I really wanted. If you're waiting a couple of months for a lathe, what would happen if you needed parts?

Hi Philip,

You have a good point about needing parts. However, it is likely that parts would not be needed for some time to come, maybe years. I am not affiliated with Grizzly in any way, but I have a couple of observations.

This lineup is new for Grizzly, and they seem to have more demand than supply at this time because of the introductory price, and I have ordered an extra part and gotten it for my G0698 [a 2nd tool rest assembly, because I have a duplicator that mounts in 2 banjos] and they are able to get parts and will do so if there is a need. It might take a few weeks, as this line up is new to them.

In time the parts inventory will most likely increase and I think they are working on getting parts along with full units as they are able to get them from the factory.

While other makes such as PM and Jet have been on the market for some time, they already do have a parts inventory. I believe in time it will be just the same for the Grizzly G0698.

mike caruso
10-06-2010, 1:12 AM
Roger we have seen all of your posts on all of the turners forums about this lathe. But still Grizz can not supply it why does busy bee and laguna have it ? although at much more money ? seems grizz is playing games low ball to start then bring up the price !!!!!! looking at an old pm 90 it should not cost 2000.00 to turn

Roger Chandler
10-06-2010, 6:24 AM
Roger we have seen all of your posts on all of the turners forums about this lathe. But still Grizz can not supply it why does busy bee and laguna have it ? although at much more money ? seems grizz is playing games low ball to start then bring up the price !!!!!! looking at an old pm 90 it should not cost 2000.00 to turn

Mike,

I think that you have misunderstood the issues that affect logistics related to the number of units that Grizzly can get. The factory in china can only produce a certain amount of units [manufacturing capacity]. They are supplying 4 vendors as we know, that being BB,H&F,Laguna & Grizzly. Last week I heard that Laguna only had one unit in stock, so this is more than just Grizzly.

Each line has a production run.........and I guess that each company contracts for so many units based upon what they believe they can sell. I think that Grizzly is having more demand for this unit than what can be kept up on the production and also there may be some slow shipping from china due to the trade issues between the 2 governments..........I did hear that chinese officials were upset at the U.S. gov't. about the trade deficit being cut by our gov't and it had something to do with free markets, etc.

I don't think that the factory can supply all four vendors without some production limits. I do not think Grizzly is "low balling" as you say, I think it is simply trying to get a line established with a required number of units out there so as to make viable their support with parts & service. A company could not do all that is necessary to carry and fully support a line of machines unless it has a viable number to make it worth doing. If they only sold 25 of these units, then it would not be worth their time and the cost of maintaining an inventory of parts, and training of their service people to be able to repair and do maintenance.

Also, some of the parts on my G0698 are the same ones on the PM 3520b, so that tells me that this unit has some relation to PM and Jet, and the production levels of all the brands surely is something the manufacturer has to juggle to meet all the demands of all the vendors of all the different makes that they manufacture.

mike caruso
10-12-2010, 5:08 PM
Hey Bill any word from griz on the lathe ? Just got off the phone and good news now they say 11/15 thats 11 days sooner than last time !!!!!
Well just keep cutting those blanks have over fifty and another month and a half to lathe arrives.
Michael !!!!!

Bill Bulloch
10-12-2010, 5:41 PM
Hey Bill any word from griz on the lathe ? Just got off the phone and good news now they say 11/15 thats 11 days sooner than last time !!!!!
Well just keep cutting those blanks have over fifty and another month and a half to lathe arrives.
Michael !!!!!

I checked with them after your last disparaging post, and they told me Nov 26, also. I like Nov 15th better, although I am not really in that big of a rush. I have the Jet1236 and the Delta 46-460 to play with. I thought about cancelling it and getting one of those Nova DVR while they are on sell, but changed my mine primarily because of its weight, and I have been reading on the forums about people who are having electronic problems with it.

Speaking of blanks, I have my son-in-law coming over tomorrow to help me cut some. I have Walnut, Magnolia, Polpar, Box Elder, Beech and Hickory that I am going to make some big blanks out of. I have a lot of blanks cut that are under 12", but I want these to be under 18". Wish I had one of those big bandsaws like you do. Mine a Delta 14"; I need a riser block for it. I have one of those long blades for my reciprocating saw (Saws All), that I am going to try and round any blank that is over 6" thick with. If that does not work, then I'll have to get by with what the chainsaw can do.

James Combs
10-12-2010, 6:58 PM

Can't wait.

Are you sure about the delivery date? Did they say they had confirmation? I have had one on order since August 14th and yesterday Grizzly told me that delivery looked like mid November but was not "confirmed". Sooo, I canceled the order and had ToolNut give me q quote on the Jet 2HP 1642. Just pushed the but on it less then an hour ago. I got it for about the price of the Jet 1.5 HP. All this being said if you know that Grizzly has confirmation on the Oct. 15 warehouse delivery I will change it back???

EDIT: Just caught your last post there about the Nov. Date. Guess I will stay with the JET.

Roger Chandler
10-12-2010, 7:03 PM
From what I know about my Grizzly G0698, I think it is definitely worth the wait! I have turned on 2 different PM3520b's and IMHO my G0698 is as smooth, and has great performance, and is a real pleasure to turn on!

Roger Chandler
10-12-2010, 7:23 PM
Michael !!!!!

Mike,

That is a great bunch of turning blanks you have there.........Nice work!

mike caruso
10-13-2010, 9:20 AM
Hey guys there is another way out of this delema , Busy Bee Tools in Canada has the Craftex ct 128n same machine in stock, there price is a little higher and you would have to pay duty fees and shipping, came out to under 1,800.00 for me and the machine has a 2 year warranty instead of grizzly's 1. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Mike !!!!!

Roger Chandler
10-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey guys there is another way out of this delema , Busy Bee Tools in Canada has the Craftex ct 128n same machine in stock, there price is a little higher and you would have to pay duty fees and shipping, came out to under 1,800.00 for me and the machine has a 2 year warranty instead of grizzly's 1. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Mike !!!!!

Mike,

the guys I have talked to that own the Craftex 128 by BB, really like them. They also have gone to a choice of either the 1 x 8 spindle, and now they have a 1-1/4" as well, which for Americans would have the most accessories available.

Most of the owners really like the power and performance of it.

Roger Chandler
10-14-2010, 2:37 PM
Just an observation..........related to the shipments of lathes from China.

On another thread it was mentioned that WoodCraft will not be able to ship Nova DVR lathes until sometime in 2011. It sounds like there is something related to the shipping from China as now I have heard of 3 different vendors [Laguna, Teknatool, and Grizzly] who are dealing with delays from what they had originally expected as far as being able to ship units to customers.

I think there is something related to the trade issues the US gov't. are having with China. I don't think that all of a sudden the demand is outstripping the manufacturing capability of the factories over there. It just seems that since it seems to be an across the board issue, that there is something occurring that is not under the control of vendors who carry the product.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2010, 2:43 PM
Roger,

I don't know that you can just assume that there are trade issues effecting this.

This issue has come up here before on products other than lathes.

Companies use the same assembly lines to manufacture more than one product and they usually have a schedule. So when one orders some product that is not in stock here, the factory doesn't just drop the product they are in the process of manufacturing and immediately retool the line for a different product.

It would be the same if it was manufactured here.

You also have to figure in shipping time. They don't take one of those huge cargo ships and reserve it just for that lathe you ordered. That lathe will ship when the shipper has enough cargo to pay for the ship...usually that means a full hold.

Roger Chandler
10-14-2010, 3:23 PM
Roger,

I don't know that you can just assume that there are trade issues effecting this.

This issue has come up here before on products other than lathes.

Companies use the same assembly lines to manufacture more than one product and they usually have a schedule. So when one orders some product that is not in stock here, the factory doesn't just drop the product they are in the process of manufacturing and immediately retool the line for a different product.

It would be the same if it was manufactured here.

You also have to figure in shipping time. They don't take one of those huge cargo ships and reserve it just for that lathe you ordered. That lathe will ship when the shipper has enough cargo to pay for the ship...usually that means a full hold.

Hi Ken,

I agree with all you said related to scheduling of manufacturing of the different lines, and the "cargo ship" being reserved just for lathes! All of that is a given, and is stating the obvious.

It is not assumption on my part, but trying to read what is going on since I have heard that several companies are dealing with delays in what they had projected in receiving shipments...........

And the story I saw on the news about the Chinese gov't being upset at the US gov't over trade issues, and the gist of the story was that they had threatened retaliation over the US cutting into the trade deficit, etc, as they felt it would harm their economy there in China.

Of course there is a bit of speculation on my part here, but when one puts 2 and 2 together and they begin to add up, and you see empirical information from the parties involved, one begins to wonder.

My only point to all this, is that I hate to see the reputation of a vendor put into the shredder because someone did not get something when they ordered it without knowing that some things are not of the vendors making or control. It was my attempt to speak to that point as it relates to things coming from overseas, which the vendor cannot always maintain control over.

You and I have no disagreement Ken, as far as I can see......;):D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2010, 3:38 PM
I will caution you....about discussing politics......and political speculation....here at the Creek.

It's not allowed here.

Harlan Coverdale
10-15-2010, 4:00 AM
My other lathes are 1 x 8 TPI and the chucks will not fit on the Grizzly. I could buy the adapters, but, since I am keeping the other lathes, I just ordered me two new Chucks: A Supernova2 and a Oneway Stronghold.

Out of curiosity, why two different brands? Both are excellent chucks, but you lose the interchangeability of the jaws.

Just guessing here, but is there a possibility the reduced worldwide demand in general for things like woodworking tools has resulted in the cargo ships not filling as quickly, and thus not making as many trips to this side of the world?