PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Vase and Bowl

Thomas Bennett
09-22-2010, 8:52 AM
Here are two box elder pieces I turned earlier in the summer. These pieces have just a splattering of the red coloring. I bleached both pieces and finished them with Deft semi-gloss in a spray can. I thought the high gloss would be a little too much.
The bowl really has the curl, as you can see.
I’ve made several of the vase forms with different species and I am thinking I want to start experimenting with a foot detail on the next one. If anyone has any inspiration on a foot detail, or criticism in general, please comment.

steven carter
09-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Thomas,

Very nice vase and bowl. I really like the curl in the bowl!

Steve

Michael James
09-22-2010, 9:30 AM
beautiful pieces.... I agree on a semi gloss.... for almost everything if not flat. good choice.
That wood is very nice - I've never experimented with bleaching... any tips? Household products or ????
thanks for posting!
mj

charlie knighton
09-22-2010, 9:57 AM
well done.....

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Really nice bowl and vase. I like the curl in the bowl and nice finish.

Al Wasser
09-22-2010, 10:22 AM
They look great but I think the foot on the bowl might be a bit small. That, of course, depends on how you think the bowl might be used. I have found that a bowl that is used for fruit needs a large foot because it will easily tip with the removal of say just one orange. For popcorn, a small foot works fine. Maybe I over think this stuff, but you be the judge.

bob svoboda
09-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Both pieces are very nice. I really like the look of the vase-coloration makes it look more like marble than wood to me.

Frank Van Atta
09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Two very nice forms. What did you use for bleaching?

Paul Douglass
09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
WOW that is some beautiful wood. Nice turnings. Gorgeous!

Roger Chandler
09-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Woo Hooo! Now both of these are just really, really fine! Beautiful wood, and I really like both forms, but the first one [vase] just stands out! I need to find me some box elder, cause that is just too pretty! :);)

Baxter Smith
09-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Very pretty wood and shapes with a nice finish as well!

Mike Willeson
09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Two very nice forms. What did you use for bleaching?

+1 on the bleaching question....you would have thought that would wash out the other colors as well, but that does not appear to be the case.

Very nice. I really like the shape of that vase.

David E Keller
09-22-2010, 1:35 PM
Very nicely done on both. The figure in the bowl is wonderful. As for the foot, I'd consider doing without. If I were to put a foot on, I'd consider a small bead detail. I usually shoot for a foot diameter about a third of the overall diameter for utility bowls, but I'm not too precise on that measurement.

Edit: I didn't read the original post closely and thought the foot question related to the bowl. The opinion above is for bowls, but I agree with Allen's thought on the vase foot.

Allen Neighbors
09-22-2010, 1:35 PM
I like both of these! I ditto the thoughts about the bleach not fading the reds...
As far as a foot is concerned, I think a foot on the vase (sort of a flattened bead) would look nice... but its already a knock-out, like it is.
Having a foot, or not, is really up to the eye of the beholder...
Beautiful bowl, too!

Jim Burr
09-22-2010, 2:13 PM
Good form on the vase...but the bowl is my favorite. Well done!!

John Keeton
09-22-2010, 2:15 PM
Both are great pieces, but the bowl takes the prize for me!! I would prefer just a little wider foot, and perhaps not quite as tall. But, footed bowls are so subjective - and I like feet!! Does that mean I have a foot fetish?!?!?!;)

David DeCristoforo
09-22-2010, 4:31 PM
Those are some sweet forms and that box elder is amazing wood. I'm gonna look around and see if I can get some. I love the red "veining". It makes it look like marble but it also makes me thing of "strawberry swirl" ice cream!

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2010, 5:36 PM
Nice work on both pieces but the bowl steals the show for me! Love the form, small foot and the amazing wood!

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing what's next!

David Christopher
09-22-2010, 6:30 PM
very nice, that wood is awesome

Thomas Bennett
09-22-2010, 7:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments:
As for a possible foot for a future vase form:
Allen said “ As far as a foot is concerned, I think a foot on the vase (sort of a flattened bead) would look nice...”
That is exactly what I will try next time, thanks Allen!

I tried to draw it with autocad with limited success.
To Michael, Mike and Frank , the bleach seems to accentuate the box elder red coloring. I know it doesn’t make sense. One would expect it to bleach out. I tried to bleach some curly soft maple and found it did not do anything. The below bleaching product is an established “trick.”

As for the foot on the bowl, John Keeton (aka “The Wise One”) says it all:
“footed bowls are so subjective - and I like feet!! Does that mean I have a foot fetish?!?!?! “
I always get a lot of opinions on the foot detail. It shows me folks are really looking and leads me to try different approaches.
Thanks again everyone