PDA

View Full Version : unisaw question

dale rex
12-17-2004, 8:38 PM
havent picked up my unisaw from the store yet, but wanted to know how many of you unisaw owners use both of the cast iron wings?I have seen pics of some that only had the left wing installed, and on the right side, the extension table was mounted directly to the saw without the cast wing. Whats your opinion on mounting this right side wing? Thanks, can hardly wait any longer:D . BTW I got the 50" Biese fence. Will it make a difference when using the mobile base if I do or dont mount the right side wing?

Jack Norfleet
12-17-2004, 8:54 PM
My unisaw only came with one wing which is mounted on the left side. The extension table on the right dips down in the middle of the edge that contacts the saw so it was rather difficult to align. Now that I have it aligned, it works fine but I would rather have another extension wing and a shorter extension table. The benefits of the extra wing are more weight on the saw for stability and a flatter surface. Your extension table should be sized to work with the extra wing so not mounting the wing is not really an option.

On a side note, my extension table is not nearly as flat as a cast iron wing and I have a Jess-em router lift FX mounted there. I am seriously thinking about the Bench Dog cast iron extension wing with one of their aluminum plates with my router lift mechanism mounted on it..

Bob_Hammond
12-17-2004, 9:10 PM
If you have 2 wings, use them both. As noted above it is much more solid, flat, and stable.

Bob

dale rex
12-17-2004, 10:08 PM
if I understand correctly there are different versions of the saw.....some have two wings and some only have one? Then the extension table is smaller if the saw has a right side wing and larger if the saw doesnt? I think mine has two cast iron wings, so I probably will have the shorter extension table:confused: . Have to wait till I pick up the saw to find out.

John Weber
12-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Bob is on the mark, if you have both use them. At one time Powermatic even made a 49" cast iron extension wing/table.

John

William OConnell
12-17-2004, 11:19 PM
This is my beloved 1949 Unisaw. It came with 2 cast iron wings. Although I have a dedicated router I like the idea of having one right there with the table saw and a cabinet underneath. The saws on a mobile base I welded out of old fence posts my neighbor was throwing out.
Believe it or not the picture isnt even my garage. I moved the Saw, Planer,sliding compound miter, etc. to this house and took over there garage as I do large scale home improvements and renovations as the bulk of my workhttp://www.woodworkers.us/tempfolderpics/light%20uni%20and%20cabinet.JPG

Greg Narozniak
12-17-2004, 11:29 PM
My Unisaw was the standard one that only came with one Cast Wing. the one that came with my saw I could not get lined up. It was slightly dished. I called Delta and had a new one in a few days. I still have the old one that I will try on the right side some day and maybe have 2 :)

Joe Scarfo
12-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Some models come with one extension wng, some come w/ two...

If you get two, I suggest using them both.

The always included left wing will be curved at the front left corner.

The right wing will have a sharp corner at the rear and front on the right side. This to avoid a gap between the right most edge of the wing and the right extension table.

Enjoy the saw, I know I enjoy mine. So does every guy who walks through the shop.

Good Luck
Joe in Tampa

Hoa Dinh
12-18-2004, 1:47 PM
My saw as a DW slider on the left and two cast iron wings on the right, followed by a stamped steep router table. It is rock solid.

Some of the pictures are here (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/my_photos).