PDA

View Full Version : Oh brother!!! plus other Q's

Tony Kent
09-22-2010, 2:39 AM
Hi fellow creekers,
Here's one from the "oh brother pay attention" file,
I wanted to buy a narrow parting tool so did some searching and found a great price on a 1/16th size...woohoo I thought and ordered it. Well of course it was a great price because it's a micro parting tool...hahahaha When I opened the box and saw it I just had to laugh. I will still use it, but it does say to me pay better attention when ordering online since ya can't really see the product. It's so small, looks more like a toy.
Just a few more things to do and I will finally be set up to turn again. Almost done with the sharpening set up so weather permitting up here in Western Wa I am looking forward to gluing a few pieces of mystery wood(it was free so woohoo) and see what turns out.....pun intended. :)

Which disks to order at Vinces? I had tried all the cheapy kind some years ago and at the time had a compressor etc and wasn't thrilled with the results. I have seen that many of you get your disks etc from him so thats good enough for me. :) Backing pads...hard or soft? Both?
I have forgotten so much being away from turning for just two years , so thanks for reminding me of some of these basic things.
Take care all,
Tony

John Keeton
09-22-2010, 5:44 AM
Tony, seems from the recent threads, the blue flex discs are the ones to get, and having used them I agree. On the backing pads, I think one gets better mileage from the hard ones, but I think I like using the soft ones better for getting a good finish.

Tony Kent
09-22-2010, 7:48 AM
Thank you So much for the reply....I'll order some this morning,,, :)
Tony

David E Keller
09-22-2010, 8:04 AM
Ditto... Blue pads and both backers. Glad you're about to be up and turning.

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2010, 8:22 AM
Hey Tony! Another vote for the Blue Flex disks. I use the 2 3/8" variety and the firm pads. Found the soft pads didn't give me the control I wanted for normal sanding but may work well for the super high grits like John suggested.

Hope you get everything up and running soon! Looking forward to seeing some of your work again!

bob svoboda
09-22-2010, 8:59 AM
Hey Tony. Totally agree with the blue flex and firm pads. I do like the soft pads on the rare occasion that I use the micromesh disks. Still waiting to get that birch and see if I can lure you into a visit!

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Ditto above. Blue pads and both backers. I find when sanding above 400 grit the soft works really well.

Tony Kent
09-23-2010, 6:07 AM
Thanks ya'll...ordered the blue flex...also set up little ryobi table saw today.....nothing like my big saw in storage, but will do for now. Looks like I will be doing segmented stuff for now until I get my bandsaws, delta lathe etc etc up here. Must say I am getting antsy to turn, all in due time I spose. Thanks again, Tony
PS Bob hope to get down that way when I go back to CA to get my stuff will let you know when that is planned... :)

Josh Bowman
09-23-2010, 6:45 AM
Tony,
Also call Vince, he is very helpful concerning all things sanding.