PDA

View Full Version : G Shaped Bed Side Table

Adam Johan Bergren
09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
My daughter needed a bed-side table, so I made one using a single cherry board, 9.5" wide. I wanted a couple of shelves for her books, toys, etc., and a space for her bed-side light.

I decided to make a dovetailed case, in the shape of a G (her name begins with G). In order to support the long shelves (and also to provide an "end" for books) I made "spindles" out of curly maple.

I played around with where I put tails/pins. Thus, they sort of alternate, but I did this for specific reasons. On the long side, I wanted resistance for when the table is lifted. Then, to help support the middle shelf, I alternated pins/tails to provide resistance where it might experience the most force. Probably would not have mattered, but also think it looks neat this way.

Any comments are certainly welcome, and thanks for looking!!

gary Zimmel
09-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I bet your daughter is very happy with her new bed side table Adam.
Nice design and the maple spindles are a nice touch.
Bonus points for some sweet looking dovetails.. Thanks for the look see.

Jeff Monson
09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Very nice design, the dovetails are a great touch also. How did you attach the maple spindles?

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-22-2010, 8:48 AM
What Gary said. Sweet lookin' work!

Roy Wall
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Nice design and workmanship Adam.

Nothing beats making furniture for your family..........

Jim Kirkpatrick
09-22-2010, 10:47 AM
What a great idea to make it in the shape of a "G". It's something she'll always treasure and pass it down to her family. In my eyes, the feet need to be larger. Great execution overall!

Adam Johan Bergren
09-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone!

Very nice design, the dovetails are a great touch also. How did you attach the maple spindles?

The spindles are joined by mortise and tenons (hand cut).

What a great idea to make it in the shape of a "G". It's something she'll always treasure and pass it down to her family. In my eyes, the feet need to be larger. Great execution overall!

I would agree about the feet with regard to a fundamental design. However, I needed something that had a low profile. These were nice and understated, so I went with them.

glenn bradley
09-23-2010, 12:39 AM
That's great. How did I miss this? She's gonna love that for a long time.

Dave MacArthur
09-23-2010, 4:30 AM
Great design, and a nice dovetail showcase!