PDA

View Full Version : Top mounted blade guard/vacuum

Saul Levinson
09-21-2010, 10:25 PM
I've just setup my new Porter-Cable 10" table saw. Everything adjusted up well (getting the riving knife set right took some doing, though).
As I've stated in a previous post, I don't like the supplied blade guard. I think it's flimsy, lots of lateral slop, cumbersome, visually distorts where the blade is, and I think, is very dangerous to use. Relying on the advice of other creekers, and being a novice woodworker, I don't think I should run the saw without a blade guard.... which brings me to the point of looking for a replacement blade guard, I kinda like the idea of a top mounted guard/vacuum head. I've looked at some of them, but would like to get some input from some experienced woodworkers on a good choice. I'm leaning to the Grizzly setup ($ is good), and the Delta setup. Would I have trouble retrofitting either of these to my Porter-Cable table saw? Are there better choices out there?

Thanks, in advance, for any input.

Saul

Gary Muto
09-22-2010, 6:56 AM
I just bought a Shark Guard which comes with 3 splitters and a guard. The guard and splitters are easily removed which means I'll use it more. I also wanted the dust collection and this guard works well at collecting the chips. I have no experience to compare with the overarm guards available through Excaliber, Delta PSI, etc.. I can tell you that Lee was very helpful in getting my guard to work on a slightly unique Delta cabinet saw. It was a pleasure doing business with him.

Here is a link to his site:
http://www.leestyron.com/

The Shark guard site

John Morrison60
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Saul

If there is a Sharkguard available for your saw, go for it.
The level of customer service that you get from Lee Styron trumps other choices.
His product is also well made using quality materials.
The only downside is the wait for delivery.

Good luck
John