PDA

View Full Version : Japanese night

David DeCristoforo
09-21-2010, 8:39 PM
I was thinking about those lacquered bowls you get miso soup in. I had some pretty "non-descript" looking maple pieces so I went for it. For some reason, this was fraught with problems. The bowl broke off the 1/2" tenon I was trying to leave at the bottom and it ended up being an odd size. So I had to putz around with it to get it to fit the hole I had drilled in the pedestal. Then I "Keetoned" the top of the pedestal off. I was able to save that one by drilling a tiny hole in the top of the stick and the bottom of the "head", carving a little dowel and gluing it back together with CA. Somehow (don't ask!) it came out perfectly aligned! But as they say, things come in threes and I was only up to two so far. So to round things out, I separated the lid from the top tenon. That's why there is that little flange under the finial (sticker upper). I was able to turn an small "boss" on the little piece that was still in the collet chuck and glue the lid back on. Oh well... no one ever said this was going to be easy!

John Keeton
09-21-2010, 8:55 PM
I am so glad to hear that others have "issues" with their projects - keeps me from feeling 'victimized!!'

David, this one was certainly worth the trouble - just a very nice piece. I really do believe you have found your niche with these variations on a theme. Excellent work!

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2010, 9:10 PM
David - frustrating or not - I am glad you didn't give up! Beautiful work!

David E Keller
09-21-2010, 9:12 PM
Nicely done. I'm glad you posted about your difficulties and how you resolved them. I've never had any troubles turning, but I feel like I'll be prepared if ever things don't go exactly right.;)

Seriously, I love this piece. The color scheme is fantastic, and I really like the overall look and balance. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
09-21-2010, 9:24 PM
Very nice piece David. Love both the shape and the colors!

Tom Sherman
09-21-2010, 9:36 PM
Love those lacquered bowls, and this one is no exception, nice save.

Michael James
09-21-2010, 9:51 PM
What everybody said... some more. That looks so delicate. Awesome job, sir.
mj

David DeCristoforo
09-21-2010, 9:54 PM
" I really do believe you have found your niche with these variations on a theme."

For the moment, I would agree. i'm attracted to this "form" because it requires a "full spectrum" of turning techniques. And since I am still a "padawan learner", I want to practice on something that allows me work on all the different aspects of turning. I know I have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I also have this need to produce something that at least has the potential of being worth the time I invest in it. I also know myself well enough to know that I will never stay in any niche for too long. As long as it holds a challenge, I'll be there and I still have several more "variations" in mind. But I'm finding myself looking at that pile of "chunks" I have acquired recently and I'm itching to start on some deep hollow forms....

Curt Fuller
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice looking piece! I've found that the many things I've almost thrown in the towel on end up bring the greatest rewards.

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Beautiful David!

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:15 PM
That is beautiful David and well worth the effort.

gary Zimmel
09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Another beautiful piece David..

Michelle Rich
09-22-2010, 7:19 AM
I have never known a fantastic piece to have been "smooth sailing" There are always challeges in their production. It's a very nice piece & totally worth the effort. Glad you persevered, and that you shared.

bob svoboda
09-22-2010, 9:03 AM
David. In spite of all the challenges, you came up with another excellent work. I love it top to bottom.

David DeCristoforo
09-22-2010, 1:57 PM
"...I've found that the many things I've almost thrown in the towel on end up bring the greatest rewards..."

It is satisfying to complete a frustrating project. Not that I could not live without the frustration!

Allen Neighbors
09-22-2010, 2:15 PM
Another winner, DD! You keep making me eat my heart out... :D

David DeCristoforo
09-22-2010, 4:22 PM
"You keep making me eat my heart out..."

Don't eat you heart out Allen! I'm flying by the seat of my pants here!

Every time I start a piece, I'm thinking "This is going to be "the one". This is going to go perfectly and there will be no mishaps, no catches, no severed heads or broken tenons or any other "unfortunate events". I envision every cut with the gouge going smoothly and leaving in it's wake a clean, polished surface that will require only the lightest sanding with the finest grit. Every detail carved with the razor sharp skew will come out crisp and well defined. But by the time I'm done, I'm thinking more along the lines of "Well it kinda looks like what I had in mind and at least I was able to save this or fix that and it's really not too bad and the next one will be perfect."

The last thing I started was going so well. I had the shape exactly how I wanted it and the hollowing out of the inside had gone really well. There was no tearout at whatsoever and all I had to do was to turn the bottom down to final size. But as I did, I broke into a hidden inclusion of bark and void space right where I wanted the leave the tenon. The bowl just kind of fell off the stump that was gripped in the chuck, leaving nothing even resembling a tenon on the bottom. That one is sitting on my bench and I'm thinking that when I get my vacuum adaptor (which is now going on two weeks of backorder) I might be able to rig up some way to hold the bowl "upside down" and fix the bottom. There might be just enough wood left in the bottom to still make it work...

James Roberts
09-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks for sticking this one out, it would have been a shame to waste something this nice on a "Oh, the H@#$ with it!" moment. Beautiful piece David, which is becoming your norm.