PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Runaround?

Malcolm Wheeler
09-21-2010, 7:42 PM
My question pertains to the table top of the Ridgid TS3650 part number TH100001 (labeled part number 5 in figure G in the Ridgid TS3650 parts manual). For whatever reason (perhaps poor seasoning before manufacture or stress relief ?) the last four inches or so of the back left of the table top have deflected down by about 15 thousands of an inch. The rest of the table top appears to be completely flat. In other words there is a deflection of 15 thousands of an inch in height over 4 inches of length.

I have marked the deflected section with a red square in the attached pictures. Also, I have registered the saw with Ridgid for the ten year warranty thing.

I called the call center who sent me to the local dealer who called their sales rep who called someone at corporate who said that 15 thou is within spec for the whole table. Well maybe for the whole table but for just the last four inches?

Anyone know a direct telephone number to a manager at Ridgid so I can get to the bottom of this ? (I would prefer someone "in the know" as it were instead of the call center person)

Or perhaps I should just shut my mouth and put up with it?

regards
Malcolm

Kevin Womer
09-21-2010, 8:15 PM
Keep pushing them, I had an OSS and the spindle threads were stripped/damaged after I had used the belt one day. I didn't cross thread it but the knob was extremely tight when I took it off-much much tighter than when I had put it on, as the manual said not to over tighten the knob. They told me to take it to a "service center" when I called the number on the manual. The nearest service center was over an hour away, so I took it to the nearest HD 5 minutes away and they made me pay for it being repaired at the nearest center (which they shipped it to), so no problem as long as it is fixed. When I picked it up a couple of weeks later, I discovered they just put it together and called it "good." The problem was I couldn't put a spindle on it and tighten it enough to keep the sanding sleeve from coming off during operation. So back into the store I went (I looked at this in the parking lot), asked for a manager and told him I had just paid good money for the service center to "fix" it and showed him the problem. He went back to get a new one and took my old one and sent me on my way. It was only 6 months old so I am crossing my fingers I don't have the same problem with this one. I wish you the best of luck with this, please keep us posted as several of SC members have Rigid tools.

Dave Lehnert
09-21-2010, 9:53 PM
What did you do after they gave you the spec? Did you ask for a replacement? I would want a definite "No" to that question before going up the ladder.
I worked in customer service for many years. Sometimes going up the ladder gets you a "HELL NO" then, my hands were tied to do anything. Most times a call to ask about an issue does not automatically give you a solution. You have to inform them what it will take to make YOU happy. One customer may only want a new top, another a new saw.

Steve Griffin
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd definitely keep pursuing this if you feel it effects your cuts.

Frankly, if I had a contractor style saw which had a 1/64 imperfection, I'd probably say "bummer" and then move on to something else more important to worry about.

Now that I think about it, I do have a contractor style saw, and it's the exact same model you have. I used it for 7 years in my shop, before moving it out to our addition for rough work. Tomorrow I'll take a look at it and see how flat the top is.

-Steve

Malcolm Wheeler
09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Steve, I definitely agree with you about the deflection being very small. The problem is that right next to it is the corner of the flat extension wing. The result is a thin ridge of metal sticking up (the wing) that marks wood as you push it through - I end up with a long thin dent on the wood.

I have tried bashing the wing down with a rubber mallet to match the table, but when I do that, the corner of the wing near the front of the table pops up.

Jason White
09-22-2010, 2:23 PM
Loosen all of the bolts on the left wing and re-shim it flush with the table using some small pieces of aluminum foil or masking tape. Use a 3' straightedge and your own eyes to get it flat. Feeler gauges, micrometers, dial indicators and other doo-hickeys will just make you insane.

Jason

My question pertains to the table top of the Ridgid TS3650 part number TH100001 (labeled part number 5 in figure G in the Ridgid TS3650 parts manual). For whatever reason (perhaps poor seasoning before manufacture or stress relief ?) the last four inches or so of the back left of the table top have deflected down by about 15 thousands of an inch. The rest of the table top appears to be completely flat. In other words there is a deflection of 15 thousands of an inch in height over 4 inches of length.

I have marked the deflected section with a red square in the attached pictures. Also, I have registered the saw with Ridgid for the ten year warranty thing.

I called the call center who sent me to the local dealer who called their sales rep who called someone at corporate who said that 15 thou is within spec for the whole table. Well maybe for the whole table but for just the last four inches?

Anyone know a direct telephone number to a manager at Ridgid so I can get to the bottom of this ? (I would prefer someone "in the know" as it were instead of the call center person)

Or perhaps I should just shut my mouth and put up with it?

regards
Malcolm