PDA

View Full Version : Hummer Saw?

Mark Dorman
09-21-2010, 5:57 PM
Ran across this and was wondering if the caption is right and if so what is the oiler for? I found it on a vintage tool biz site.

Hope the link works it's an open office doc.

I just opened it and the picture took like 7 seconds to open but it did open.

Mark

Bill Houghton
09-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I couldn't get it to open; maybe software incompatibility.

I note the caption refers to a cast iron handle. I wonder if it's a docking saw or something similar for rough work, in which case, perhaps the oiler could be to keep the saw plate slick to keep pitch off - kind of like a chainsaw oiler, kind of.

If you can figure out how to capture the picture in a way that will show here, it would be interesting to see it.

Can't resist: I didn't know that company made saws, too; I thought they just made giant, inefficient, really not very practical SUVs.

Roy Lindberry
09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I couldn't get it to open; maybe software incompatibility.

I note the caption refers to a cast iron handle. I wonder if it's a docking saw or something similar for rough work, in which case, perhaps the oiler could be to keep the saw plate slick to keep pitch off - kind of like a chainsaw oiler, kind of.

If you can figure out how to capture the picture in a way that will show here, it would be interesting to see it.

Can't resist: I didn't know that company made saws, too; I thought they just made giant, inefficient, really not very practical SUVs.

Let's see if this works

Bill Houghton
09-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow. Cool beyond words. NO idea how an oiler would work there. Is the price right enough for it to follow you home?

James Taglienti
09-22-2010, 7:31 AM
probably about as useful as an oiler knob on a plane...

Mark Dorman
09-22-2010, 7:56 AM
Thanks for turning that into a jpeg Roy. No price on it; I think they were still trying to figure out the value.

Mark

Deane Allinson
09-22-2010, 1:22 PM
I saw that one on the popular auction site a week or 2 ago. It could be a saw for cutting drain pipe, way back when. I would probably like an oiler for that operation.
Deane