PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #77

Carl Miller
09-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Does anyone have the dimensions for the cutters for the #77. Otherwise, I'll have to measure them myself. Yeah - I know, I'm lazy. Thanks in advance.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2010, 11:17 AM
My book just says there are 9 of them, it doesn't list the sizes.

Guess you will have to get out the ruler.

jtk

David Turner
09-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Carl:

My book Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools-A guide to Identity and Value lists the 9 cutter sizes as follows:1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, & 3/4. Hope this helps.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Same book, I was thinking of cutters as the blades.

If the finished size of the dowels from the different heads is the information being sought, my misunderstanding.

Come to think of it, they could all use the same size blade.

I do not know.

jtk

Carl Miller
09-21-2010, 1:11 PM
Jim, David. I'm looking for the blade dimensions. I'm pretty sure the dies all use the same blade. Thanks for your help. I've got one blade which is about used up. I'm tired of changing the blade every time I change dies. I'm also almost at the end of my only blade.

Jim Koepke
09-21-2010, 1:56 PM
Jim, David. I'm looking for the blade dimensions. I'm pretty sure the dies all use the same blade. Thanks for your help. I've got one blade which is about used up. I'm tired of changing the blade every time I change dies. I'm also almost at the end of my only blade.

Maybe you can post a picture of the blade.

My image looks like there is a slot in the blade.

I was thinking you may be able to make a blade from a blade from a #45 or something like that.

jtk

Steve Costa
09-21-2010, 7:08 PM
Having 2 of these tools in my collection the cutters are stamped steel 1/16" or so thick. I think the cutters are all the same size with the cutter holders sized for specific dowel sizes as discussed above.

I think the cheapest way to obtain cutters is to purchase them with the cutter holders. These can run from $50 to $100 each (not cheap)depending on where you find them. Try www.finetooljournal.com (http://www.finetooljournal.com) or www.mjdtools.com (http://www.mjdtools.com) or google stanley 77 dowel machine.

harry strasil
09-21-2010, 9:13 PM
I was given a 77, but it only had one size cutter, so I machined a steel copy with a 1 inch hole in it and made a set of insertable cutters from 1 inch round brass stock and made the cutters from pieces of an old hand saw blade.

Carl Miller
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Harry. Do I have this right? The inserts allowed you to accomodate different sizes of dowells. Was the blade flat or did you bend it like the originals?

harry strasil
09-23-2010, 11:34 AM
like the origanol.