PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some money...

Dan Blackshear
09-21-2010, 9:31 AM
With the sale of my fathers house, I put some aside for some tool upgrades and I'm kind of in a quandary about what to upgrade to. I know it's always fun to spend other peoples money so here is the chance to help me upgrade a few pieces in the shop.

I currently have a Jet 6" jointer, a 12" Delta lunch box planer (which is on it's last legs) and a Jet 14" bandsaw with riser. I also have a Jet 3hp cabinet saw and a Jet 22-44 drum sander, but it's the jointer, planer and maybe the bandsaw I am really looking to upgrade.

Option 1: Grizzly 609x 12" jointer w/ spiral head and a Grizzly 454z 20" planer with spiral head

Option 2: Grizzly 634z 12" planer/jointer with spiral head and Grizzly 636x 17" bandsaw

Option 3: Hammer A3-31 12" jointer/thicknesser (would not arrive till mid Nov)

The work I do is mostly arts and crafts style furniture for the house and some built-ins, but as my skills improve I picture myself getting into more elaborate pieces and figured woods.

Here is my thought process so far:

Option 1- last jointer and planer I would ever need, going to be a tight fit in the 20x24 shop though. No bandsaw upgrade.

Option 2- An upgrade to my current jointer and planer, would have to use the drum sander for glued up panels. Shorter jointer table gives me some concern. Upgrade to bandsaw for resawing. Space issue stays about the same as I would still keep the 14" bandsaw for curved cuts.

Option 3- No bandsaw upgrade, even shorter table than the grizzly but most people who own one praise it and you would have to pry it from their cold dead fingers to get them to give it up.

I know this is probably one of those "whatever works for you" kind of questions, but I have been mulling this over for the past month and with the Grizzly summer prices ending this week, I need to "sh#t or get off the pot" as my Dad used to tell me. So hopefully you guys might be able to think of something I haven't that would seal the deal.

Dan Hintz
09-21-2010, 9:37 AM
In case you weren't aware, Jet/Powermatic is running a sale on jointers/planers until the end of the week... just another thing to consider.

Brian Kincaid
09-21-2010, 9:49 AM
I vote (1) as it will be a final upgrade for those two machines. Most people I have heard with combo machines would go with individual machines if they were of the same quality and had the room.

I hope you have dust collection to keep up with the planer otherwise you are in for a shock :eek:

-Brian

Stephen Cherry
09-21-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll chime in with the same thing I always say:

considering buying used, and you will be able to get your jointer, planer, and bandsaw.

For example, you are also going to need dust collection. In many cases, it is possible to buy the collector at a fair price, and have all the duct work thrown in for free. I bought my bandsaw and a bunch of blades, including two carbide blades, were thrown in.

Also, the used Asian import tools will likely have been made in Taiwan, rather than mainland China, if that matters to you.

One other thing, if you take a little time and leearn how to set up strait knives, changing jointer and planer blades really is not hard at all.

Dan Blackshear
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I looked at the Jet Jointer/planer and thought about it pretty hard but I think I want to go with the spiral cutterhead. I know the Hammer isn't spiral and that's definitely a minus, but with the hammer the blades are self setting so at least I don't have to futz with aligning them when I do change them.

I do have dust collection, it's a 1 1/2 Hp bag unit but it keeps up with the drum sander so it should keep up with a 20" planer. -At least I hope it will-

Jacob Mac
09-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I would go with option 2. That bandsaw is a beauty, and since you have a drum sander, I bet you can get by with a 12" planer with no problem.

Paul McGaha
09-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the creek Dan.

I would do option 1 if you have the floor space and option 3 if you dont.

Both of these options are going to be major upgrades compared to the benchtop planer and the 6" jointer.

Good luck with your decision and purchase.

PHM

Ryan Hellmer
09-21-2010, 11:54 AM
I would second the "go used" sentiment, but even go further saying, look for old industrial american made stuff. I upgraded to a 16" jointer and 18" planer for less than the Grizzly 20 inch w/ spiral. If you're looking for turnkey, I would go with the Hammer. I've not used them, but hear the same things you do. Have you considered the Grizzly or Laguna 16" jointer/planers?

I have thought about getting a bigger bandsaw for resawing, but I've never resawed anything that would outdo a 14" with riser block. Plus I just don't resaw all that often, so I'm not as familiar with what regular resawers might want.

No matter what, it sounds like you will have a sweet setup.

Ryan

Van Huskey
09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
If it were me I would go with option one. The 609 and four post generic planers have been solid from Grizzly. They should indeed be the last ones you ever need. Used takes time and if you want a spiral cutter head, I think it is the right decision, opten a lot of the savings evaporates with the costs and effort of adding a Byrd. I have passed on a couple of 12" jointers since by the time you get a helical head on them they are more than the 609x new.

You can get the Hammer with a installed Byrd head, I think it is about $800.

There are plenty of people who love the Euro combos, I have played with them and they are just not for me, and that goes double fot their Asian cousins.

If you decide on option 1 or 3 settle into a search for an Italian bandsaw. They do show up usually in great condition just takes a little time.

Paul Johnstone
09-21-2010, 1:02 PM
I looked at the Jet Jointer/planer and thought about it pretty hard but I think I want to go with the spiral cutterhead.

Consider buying seperate Jet machines if they are on sale.. Last year, during the sale, after shipping (Tools plus) the 20" Jet Planer with spiral was less than the Grizz 20" spiral . I don't know if that is still the case during this sale, but it is worth looking into.

I guess it all depends on what you do.. I totally love my 20" Jet planer. I often will just join one face, glue up my panel and then run the entire thing through the planer.. that is a huge time savings. So, if you do a lot of raised panel doors, I think a 20" planer is better than a 12" combo machine. Much better. I only have an 8" jointer, but that is plenty adequate for me.

I would go with a 20" planer and upgrade the bandsaw later. Or maybe get an 8" jointer and Bandsaw.. But.. I really don't resaw that often, so a 14" BS is more than adequate for what I do.

Can I say again that I really love having a 20" planer :)

Frank Martin
09-21-2010, 1:07 PM
I have the spiral head G0634, I would recommend the Hammer on your list. I have had some issues with my very low mileage G0634. Grizzly CS has been very helpful in addressing them, but I think a lot of these issues could have been avoided with better quality control and materials... I have never seen anybody complaining about the Hammer version, so....

Dave Verstraete
09-21-2010, 7:10 PM
I vote for choice # 1. :D
You will never regret those spiral heads:cool:

Steve Rowe
09-21-2010, 8:06 PM
Hammer away and don't regret it. I have a J/P combo (not Hammer) with absolutely no regrets. These are extremely well thought out machines and maximize the use of your shop space.
Steve

Peter Quinn
09-21-2010, 8:35 PM
Most a&c furniture is not bs intensive, so the 14" will do most of that with ease. Well set up it will do your basic resaw too, so that's an upgrade I'd make when you really need it or the price is right on a good used monster, not just cause.

The 20" planer will change the way you work and the speed at which you can mill stock, which saves more time for the joinery and shaping, which is my favorite aspects of woodworking. So for me, big planer is a boon. But you are giving up space, and running into a 20" planer can hurt!:D you can get it done with the drum sander, I know because I do, so the 12" combo puts you in a good place too. Your shop, your space, your knees, so really your call is best there.

My real best wish? Get a 16" j/p combo, keep one eye open for the bS down the road when you need it or can afford to add it in. That's where I'm heading when finances allow. But I already have the big bs, because it presented itself so I grabbed it.

Steve Rowe
09-21-2010, 9:48 PM
But I already have the big bs, because it presented itself so I grabbed it.
ROFL:eek::eek::eek:

Clint Olver
09-21-2010, 11:08 PM
If it were me, without a doubt, or hesitation option #1. 20" planer and 12" jointer!?! Come on, has anyone ever regretted that decision? The helical heads are a bonus, and awesome for figured wood.

I'm not a fan of most combo machines because of the short and narrow beds, and the change over time. As quick as it may be, it's irritating.

C

Dan Blackshear
09-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I would say you have all helped me tremendously but looking at the results there is still no real clear winner although option 1 does seem to be getting a bit of a lead.

I would not mind going used for the big stuff, I just don't seem to find it until it's gone. It also doesn't help that I'm in a small town and it's about 75 miles to the nearest large city, so if it's a really good deal, chances are it's gone by the time I get there or it's got more issues than a lifetime magazine subscription and I just wasted $30 in gas and 4 hours.

I'm not opposed to straight blade systems either, I sharpen my own jointer blades and align them, I would on the lunchbox too except they are double sided and disposable. But to me it would be very nice to not have to futz with blades and from what I understand the little carbide chippers on the spiral heads have a much longer lifespan and on top of that have 4 sides to use as well. Top that off with good performance on just about any grain and it just makes sense to go ahead and go spiral if I can.

I have only seen one review of the Laguna 16" jointer planer and the owner sent it back with tables that wouldn't align and a nightmare with their CS. I also looked at the 16" Jointer planer from grizzly ( same thing as a Scheppach Plana 7 )and if they weren't discontinuing it or I could get parts for it on this side of the ocean then it would be a possibility. It has a leitz head with the double sided blades so not as much futzing but I think I'd still rather have spiral.

I think once it's said and done I will have option one in the shop and start saving my pennies for a nice bandsaw

Hans Braul
09-22-2010, 6:41 AM
It's already been said but I second the earlier comments re dust collection. This is a significant cost if you don't currently have a system, and you WILL need it with the upgrades unless you're prepared for an awful mess.
Hans

Peter Quinn
09-22-2010, 5:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I would say you have all helped me tremendously but looking at the results there is still no real clear winner although option 1 does seem to be getting a bit of a lead.

I would not mind going used for the big stuff, I just don't seem to find it until it's gone. It also doesn't help that I'm in a small town and it's about 75 miles to the nearest large city, so if it's a really good deal, chances are it's gone by the time I get there or it's got more issues than a lifetime magazine subscription and I just wasted $30 in gas and 4 hours.

I'm not opposed to straight blade systems either, I sharpen my own jointer blades and align them, I would on the lunchbox too except they are double sided and disposable. But to me it would be very nice to not have to futz with blades and from what I understand the little carbide chippers on the spiral heads have a much longer lifespan and on top of that have 4 sides to use as well. Top that off with good performance on just about any grain and it just makes sense to go ahead and go spiral if I can.

I have only seen one review of the Laguna 16" jointer planer and the owner sent it back with tables that wouldn't align and a nightmare with their CS. I also looked at the 16" Jointer planer from grizzly ( same thing as a Scheppach Plana 7 )and if they weren't discontinuing it or I could get parts for it on this side of the ocean then it would be a possibility. It has a leitz head with the double sided blades so not as much futzing but I think I'd still rather have spiral.

I think once it's said and done I will have option one in the shop and start saving my pennies for a nice bandsaw

I was looking at both Felder and Rojek. The rojek is a more basic machine but also less expensive. I saw one run, it looked solid and was built like a tank. Almost as heavy too. Good luck in your decision, looks like a great upgrade either way.