PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing scrap wood

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 9:20 AM
Hi all,

Yesterday, I decided to use up some scraps that I had laying around creating clutter. I had a few saw offs of southern yellow pine, and a piece of black walnut that was pretty punky and cracked so I sealed the crack with CA glue, and made the top. I also had a very small piece of mahogany that I did not want to throw away either, so here are some birdhouse ornaments made from scraps.

I plan to do more in the future and I also am going to order some small birds to sit on the perch of them as well.

The sanding on the roof is not up to my normal standards, but I had a very difficult time holding these in the chuck, and they wanted to fly away without the birds in them, so the punky wood and the lack of holding power made sanding less than I desired, but it is still a good way to utilize scraps you may have.

George Morris
09-21-2010, 9:39 AM
Roger good use of scrap! They look great from here!

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Great looking birdhouses Roger. I save all my scraps for projects like those and other small projects such as ornaments.

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Great looking birdhouses Roger. I save all my scraps for projects like those and other small projects such as ornaments.

Thanks Bernie,

I have a wood stove, and it gets used during the winter, but I hate to throw anything away when it comes to wood. Especially mahogany or maple or black walnut.

After a while, the clutter can get to be a bit too much, so working some of this stuff up is a good idea anyway.

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 2:08 PM
Good use of scraps, Roger. :)

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2010, 2:31 PM
Good looking bird houses Roger!

Don't know where you are planning on ordering the small birds but when I went to Alabama a couple of years ago - we stopped in at a Hobby Lobby and they had lots of the miniature birds and a heck of a lot cheaper than anywhere else too!

Have fun but be warned these little birdhouses can become addicting! I went to try my hand a turning a couple after seeing Bernie's version. In a couple of hours I had turned 72 - so things can get a little nuts!

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 2:38 PM
Good looking bird houses Roger!

Don't know where you are planning on ordering the small birds but when I went to Alabama a couple of years ago - we stopped in at a Hobby Lobby and they had lots of the miniature birds and a heck of a lot cheaper than anywhere else too!

Have fun but be warned these little birdhouses can become addicting! I went to try my hand a turning a couple after seeing Bernie's version. In a couple of hours I had turned 72 - so things can get a little nuts!

Thanks Steve,

72 in a couple of hours :eek::cool::D I can only wish! I enjoyed these two that I did, but I think I need some better way to keep them mounted to be able to sand the things.

They sure went a-flyin' without even the birds! I could not put enough pressure on them to be able to make the abrasive effective [especially the tops]

You have given me some good ideas before, and thanks for the tip on Hobby Lobby, and maybe you could tell me a good way to get these little things stable for sanding, etc. I'm all ears! :)

John Keeton
09-21-2010, 4:07 PM
Nice work, Roger!! Sounds like you may have gotten into an addictive behavioral pattern seeing some of the other birdhouses these guys do.;)

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 4:14 PM
Nice work, Roger!! Sounds like you may have gotten into an addictive behavioral pattern seeing some of the other birdhouses these guys do.;)

Actually John, I have not seen any threads with the birdhouses that I remember. We have a member of our club who sells these things by the dozens, and I just happened to remember a couple of the shapes.

Steve said that Bernie had made some, so I need to look his thread up and maybe get some ideas from him. Steve also said he did 72 in a couple of hours................well, I need to find out how to do a better job holding mine in the chuck if I am going to come anywhere near that speed :eek::D