PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my first lathe, is this decent?

Bill Sanson
09-21-2010, 9:14 AM
Hello fellas,

I thought I would tap into your vast knowledge for some help. I am looking to buy my first lathe, mainly for front legs in a rocker but I also would like to try my "turn" at bowls in the future. This lathe was offered to me for 150 with the chisels and where I am from there doesnt seem to be to much on the used market. I have attached the photos, can anyone help me out and let me know if this is decent or should I keep looking??

Bill Sanson
09-21-2010, 9:17 AM
these are the chisels, which i know are cheapies but are free

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 9:25 AM
Bill,

This is a way to get started cheaply. That being said, there are so much better lathes on the market now, and you will likely want to upgrade in just a few short months [probably weeks] so I would recommend getting a midi lathe to start out with, if you can afford it.

The Penn State Industries has a Turncraft Commander for a little over $400.00 and has variable speed, etc and a 12" swing as well, and the Delta Midi [46-460] sells for about $550.00-$599.00 and is a great machine as well/

Bill Sanson
09-21-2010, 9:33 AM
Thanks Roger,

What sort of features should I be looking for? I am assuming that there must be some that sets newer midi lathes from this one? As I mentioned I need it for chair legs, are these lathes capable of 22" between heads?

thanks again

George Morris
09-21-2010, 9:37 AM
Bill welcome to the turning side! That will get you started most of us have done that then upgraded then upgraded again and again! You will always be able to resale it when you upgrade.
Most important is to join a club get some lessons and have fun! The lathe is the cheap part of this turning thing! You will need a good dust mask,a dust collection and lots of tools. Then it is a bigger shop and so on....
Have fun! G

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks Roger,

What sort of features should I be looking for? I am assuming that there must be some that sets newer midi lathes from this one? As I mentioned I need it for chair legs, are these lathes capable of 22" between heads?

thanks again

Bill,

A number of our more accomplished turners on this forum have the delta 46-460, and they have gotten the bed extensions which allow them to turn over 40" or more. The Penn State Turncraft commander has a bed extension that you can get as a package as well. Both lathes have Variable speed and reversing as well as an RPM readout, which you will find these invaluable, and both have more power and the same swing over the bed as the craftsman you are considering.

You can get started with the one you show in the pics, but you will want to go better before long ..........just ask any turner! You will most likely do more than table legs in time, [I know this from experience, as a dedicated flatwork guy] but this turning VORTEX gets a hold on you, and then you will decide you want more..........again, just ask any turner! :eek::);):D

David Woodruff
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Bill, Good advice has been posted here in response to your question. Please do not take offense, but this lathe is at best marginal as is most any lathe under a few hundred $. If you find you enjoy turning, upgrade quickly. I know of several turners who almost stopped turning because of experiences with their first lathe, a cheap wannabee. Early on it is difficult if not impossible to tell the difference between your mistakes and those caused by deficiencies in the lathe, but don't give. Turning is a real pleasure with good equipment. Good Luck. Ask questions of The Creekers.

Bill Sanson
09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys,

it seems like what I thought is in fact the truth. I am under budget constraints now as I am going to buy a new Bnadsaw and have a newborn. I wanted this for the front legs of a maloof rocker but i may just try to shape the legs rather than buy a cheap lathe. I do want to get into turning so maybe I will save up for a new lathe or a more solid used one like a rockwell 3400.
I knew it wouldnt be that easy

John Keeton
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
....buy my first lathe, mainly for front legs in a rocker ...Hmmmmm......let's see......on September 1, 2009, I made the following statement..."As a furniture hobbiest, my needs are simply to be able to expand my capabilities by producing legs, spindles, etc. for use in furniture projects."

I remember it so well!!!!!:D:D:D

Bill, I started with the Harbor Freight 34706, on sale, with a discount coupon, for about $185. I think now that is closer to $200. Good little lathe, and will do what you want, but I now have the Delta 46-460 and love it!

By the way, I do have some faint memories of doing furniture!:rolleyes:;)

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Bill when I started out I bought several cheap lathes trying to get what I wanted. I spent more $ on upgrading than I did on a good little lathe that I finally ended up with. It was the Rikon. Looking back I would have been better off and money ahead to have just bitten the bullet to begin with. The Delta 46-460 with a bed extension should work really well for what you need. It has a 1 hp motor, VS and reverse for sanding which to me is a big plus. There are a lot of good lathes out there but that one is marginal IMHO.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-21-2010, 11:51 AM
That is the lathe that I started out with. It is not worth buying. I think it was a 200 buck lathe. The increase in quality to the Jet mini is astounding. Check your CL for a Jet mini, it will be much better. The tools I can't tell. It may be worth buying if the tools are good. It also has #1 MT, and 3/4-16 threads. Not the optimum size for upgrading.

That being said, I turned many, many pens with that, as well as small spindle work. It is not up to bowl turning. Bed is flexible.

Sorry, just my $0.02.

Michael James
09-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Bill, if you have any part of you that really enjoys working with wood, heed the advice given above. I have a 150 HF mini and am waiting to go to the delta 46-460, no other will do.
The tools pictured are the harbor freight (HF) set that sells for ~ 10$ new. They are NOT hi speed steel.
Happy hunting and ultimately turning.
mj

john l graham
09-21-2010, 1:37 PM
I thinks the key to his statement is "first" lathe. I am still on my first lathe but saved to get a decent one. I did not need to rush right out and get one for some specific job. One the other hand I have done just as you mention with other items. Buy what I can afford for my need and save to upgrade. The decision to buy tools hurts my brain with all the options. You have a very good manufacturing company in Canada with the General Int. brand. Good luck!

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 1:57 PM
I started with a Crapsman lathe. First time I used it was for table legs, back in 1972. The next time I used it was in 2003. I put on a piece of Mesquite, turned it on, and bent the headstock spindle. 3/4 x 16 shouldn't be called a spindle... it should be called a bolt.
Save your money... and get a different lathe. Most important items to search out, are: Spindle size... at least a 1" x 8 tpi; Points in headstock and tailstock line up perfectly; Cast iron, or steel bed ways; 3/4hp or better motor...
Sorry, I can't be more positive about the Sears equipment, but no one who ever turned wood had a hand in it's manufacture.
Welcome to this forum. You'll get the truth, and a lot of good advice from these guys! And you'll enjoy the rest of us... :D

David Walser
09-21-2010, 3:56 PM
Bill,

For what you're interested in turning, mostly spindles, the Harbor Freight 34706 would be a good fit. The lathe is an older Jet design and there are definitely better lathes on the market. However, for less than $300, including a decent set of spindle turning tools, you can try out turning and see if you like it for not too much money. I've had my 34706 since 2003 and I still use it frequently for turning spindles. When I'm not using it as a lathe, it serves as my buffing station. It's proven to be one of my better tool buys. Here's a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-x-33-3-8-eighth-inch-wood-lathe-with-reversible-head-34706.html

HF also makes a couple of decent sets of spindle turning tool sets. Both of these sets are sold under the "Windsor Design" brand. One has light colored handles and the other dark colored handles. The dark colored handle set has tools that are slightly larger and is considered to be the better buy. I have the light colored handled set and use those tools every time I'm at the lathe (this, despite the fact I've since acquired a lot of tools from "name" makes).

Here are the links:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-wood-lathe-chisel-set-47066.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-turning-set-35444.html