PDA

View Full Version : How many coats of oil?

Jeremy Pyatskowit
09-21-2010, 8:39 AM
I'm a relatively new turner since i picked up my super awesome duracraft lathe at an auction. My question is when finishing bowls it seems like I need to put on a lot of coats of oil to get some shine on the endgrain parts of the bowl. Is there a simpler method of getting that area sealed before finishing? It seems to drag out the process longer than it needs to be. I appreciate any tips from the experienced crew that resides here.

Prashun Patel
09-21-2010, 8:55 AM
In the flat world, you can seal with dewaxed shellac.

Also, how high are you sanding?

Jeremy Pyatskowit
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
usually 600

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
What kind of oil are you using? When I use Minwax Antique Oil I flood the bowl with oil and then keep adding it till it won't accept anymore. Then after about 10 minutes wipe off the excess. I do this for about 3 coats 24 hrs apart sometimes if stubborn I use 4 coats. Finishing IMHO should not be rushed.

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 2:28 PM
If we knew what oil you were using, it would help. When using Danish Oil, if it's porous wood, I'll wet sand with the oil through 400 grit. Then I usually soak over night and the next day, in a bucket of it, then wipe it off that evening... then 0000 wool it the next morning and soak it again all day, and again, the next; wiping off and letting it set through the nights, and steel wooling between soaks.
After those coats, I let it cure for a week or so, then Lacquer, or just buff it, depending on the wood.

David E Keller
09-21-2010, 5:44 PM
I'll often use a coat of thinned, dewaxed shellac before applying the oil.

Michael James
09-21-2010, 7:18 PM
Finishing IMHO should not be rushed.
Double ditto on Bernie's comment!
Not all oils are going to give you the same finish. Wood specie? type of oil, quality of sanding job? These are all factors you cannot ignore. There's some good tips here and reminders for all of us. Another thing I'd add is relative humidity. I can get away with things in NM, that those in moister climates might not be able to do. If you treat every piece like that's the only one anyone's ever going to see.... then you will see progress. Be specific as possible in your questions and up photos if important. There's a wealth of talent here, and this community does share. Good luck!
mj

Jeremy Pyatskowit
09-22-2010, 9:01 AM
Thanks for the tips, I've been using mostly antique oil at the moment. I'll try some of the above mentioned tips on my next bowl.