PDA

View Full Version : Nova 1624 Questions

Andrew Kertesz
09-21-2010, 5:44 AM
I have a few questions about my 1624 and the assembly. First thing is it seems kind of loud, especially compared to the Jet Mini I sold. What is everybody's noise level? Am I expecting to much? When doing the assembly there was a small set screw in the bag with the handle for locking the tool rest in place. I can find no spot anywhere for this screw. Anybody have any ideas?

The main and biggest concern I have is the motor mounting. When looking at the lathe the motor seems to be canted to the left just slightly which means that it is not totally on the same plane as the lathe bed. Is this normal due to the adjustment mechanism or did I do something wrong? This could also contribute to the noise level.

Thanks,
Andrew Kertesz

Fred Perreault
09-21-2010, 6:59 AM
Andrew, it may have fallen out of its'place, but there is a set screw that locks the large allen head screw under the banjo and the tail stock locking levers. You would get the banjo/tailstock slides for the lathe bed adjusted to work well, and then tighten the small allen screw against the larger fastener holding the slides. Other than that, I am not sure where it may go. Investigate your allembly procedure carefully, and all should work fine short of a packing or mfg. issue. As for loud, I am not familiar with many other lathes, but my 1624 just hums when at different speeds and nothing on the spindle. Can you identify the noise as metallic, or chafing, or vibration, or high velocity air or whatever?

Fred Perreault
09-21-2010, 7:05 AM
By the way, the motor sort of "hangs" in it's place, and since the tightening mechanism requires the motor to move, it never centers on the lathe bed. However, the centerline of the motor should be parallel with the centerline of the lathe bed.

Andrew Kertesz
09-21-2010, 7:37 AM
Fred,

Thanks for the response. I think I found the location for the small set screw, it looks like it goes in the supplied face plate. It fits so I am going to go with that. The noise seems to be almost a vibration hum (if that makes sense) nothing on the spindle and everything tightened in place. I will check the motor once I get the lathe leveled and in position.

Fred Perreault
09-21-2010, 7:53 AM
Andrew, make sure that you have a long reach allen wrench to tighten the allen head screws on the pullies on the motor and headstock. They are not always tight, nor aligned properly. It is not an expensive unit, and customer support is awkward at best, but I find that it is an incredible machine for the price range. I did build a solid base (350+ lbs.) and bolt ot through my wood floor.

David Woodruff
09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Hello Andrew, Most lighter weight lathes have speed dependent harmonic vibration issues and noise vibration for lack of mass damping effects. More weight and torsional stiffness = less vibration. Larger, weightier work pieces compound this effect. I don't know if the legs of the Nova 1624 can be bolted to the floor. This would help. Also anything that would add mass and stiffen the legs will help. Also compare the specs of the Nova to the Oneway 1624 and understand the differences including price. For $2k or a little more you get triple the weight, big increase in spindle mass, stiffer headstock and bed. More massive legs etc. Not to disparage the Nova, but greater control over all the things you already have noticed cost $$. I know of no way around it and my first turning was done on a $125.00 lathe impostor in 1970 something. It is a miracle I did not quit. This thing made more noise and more vibration than a knucklehead hardtail. Maybe a slight exageration here. Good luck and you will know when an upgrade is felt.

Mark Hubl
09-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Check that the pulley door is tight, this can cause some noise. Also, on mine I needed a little adjustment to the headstock side cover. The pulleys would rub at certain speeds creating some noise. Also, as Fred said check the alignment and tighten the pulleys. Mine runs almost as quite as my Jet mini when everything is in tune.

Michael Mills
09-21-2010, 2:22 PM
This is probably not the cause but the small lever in front is to swivel the headstock.
Are you tightening the headstock down using the knockout bar?
Mike

Steve Kubien
09-21-2010, 8:38 PM
Andrew, before you turn anything I want to suggest that you remove the set-screws from the headstock and motor pulleys. Make sure the pullies are lined up correctly and then lock-tite the set screws in place REALLY tight. One thing that tends to crop up with these lathes (and the older Nova 3000) is the pulleys moving around. This generates huge vibration and chews up belts. It has happened to me and lots of others and getting the pulleys lined up again is a bugger.

Free advice and in this case, worth much more than that.

Larry Whitlow
09-21-2010, 9:00 PM
Andrew, A lot of good feedback here. If I put too much tension on the belt my 1624 will make a little more noise than usual. The best way I can describe the tension is "very little". Maybe your fix is as easy as that.

Joe Mioux
09-21-2010, 9:28 PM
Andrew, before you turn anything I want to suggest that you remove the set-screws from the headstock and motor pulleys. Make sure the pullies are lined up correctly and then lock-tite the set screws in place REALLY tight. One thing that tends to crop up with these lathes (and the older Nova 3000) is the pulleys moving around. This generates huge vibration and chews up belts. It has happened to me and lots of others and getting the pulleys lined up again is a bugger.

Free advice and in this case, worth much more than that.

happened to me as well.

steve johnson
01-28-2013, 4:59 PM
I need to align my pulleys too. I can't find a way to make sure they are in line. No way to square them with each other tha eyeballing it. Any suggestions?
thanks

J.D.Redwine
01-28-2013, 7:06 PM
Make sure the belt is not too tight.

steve johnson
01-28-2013, 7:50 PM
Thanks, I have had it for 5 years....had never used the 3 highest speeds till last week. Lots of vibration while turning pens, stoppers, and tops....louder than mini lathe. I know how to move the pulleys, but not how to make sure they are exactly lined .....no square reference point from which to measure or to square off of.

Michael Mills
01-29-2013, 10:07 AM
It may not be the right way but..
When I aligned mine I set divers between the belt edge and the inside casting at the motor end. Then gauged off the casting again near the top to set the spindle pulley. The casting may be a little off because it is not machined inside but I think it is pretty close.

Thomas Canfield
01-29-2013, 9:27 PM
Thanks, I have had it for 5 years....had never used the 3 highest speeds till last week. Lots of vibration while turning pens, stoppers, and tops....louder than mini lathe. I know how to move the pulleys, but not how to make sure they are exactly lined .....no square reference point from which to measure or to square off of.

Steve,

You can possibly use a metal straight edge against the outside of one pully and compare that to the mating pullly. I know on my new Nova CometII the straight edge shows that the pullys are out of alignment about 3/16 to 1/4" and no way to adjus the motor pully for alignment. I waiting on answer from Teknatool on remedy.

mark ravensdale
01-30-2013, 1:47 PM
Could also be a slightly tight bearing running its self in!!!