PDA

View Full Version : What else but another Elm bowl, sorry

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 3:45 AM
Yes It's another Elm bowl, and not even sanded or semblance of finish on it.
It is the "Hat" I showed 2 weeks ago, it dried and warped a bit more uneven than I liked, so I wet it with some hot wet water (soapy) and clamped it for a few days till dry again, then did the other side as well, it was the side where the knot sits, and the drying pulled that side in a more curved bow, so did straighten it out and now both sides are quite even in there distortion.
I thought to show what I've done to prevent the knot from splitting and to reduce the amount of shrinking that would have caused if not looked after.
This changing of the shape only works with some wood and when it is thin, unless you can steam it and get the temp up high enough in wich case you could probably do some more and thicker wood, it is tricky though, I have done a few that didn't want to change :o and then the outcome is firewood :eek:
this piece is 21½" X 7½" and pretty thin :D

Any and all comments welcome :)

charlie knighton
09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
very nice, nice form

Baxter Smith
09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Very nice Leo. I remember one you posted that was somewhat similar I think in walnut that looked great as well. I will have to give one of those shapes a try sometime.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2010, 11:27 AM
That is a really nice bowl Leo.

Roger Chandler
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for sharing the process of saving a bowl from cracking, Leo. Your advice may just save a few along the way.

Pretty wood in that elm. Your other turnings from this tree I like better so far, but as you state, there isn't a finish on yet, so that may change. You always have a treat for us when you post............Thank You!!! :)

Mark Hubl
09-21-2010, 1:13 PM
Another interesting shape Leo. Good luck with the save. Are you going to cut it again? Or, just sand and finish the bottom?

John Keeton
09-21-2010, 1:33 PM
Leo, you really do some interesting stuff!! Nice!

Richard Madden
09-21-2010, 1:35 PM
[QUOTE=Leo Van Der Loo;1518082]Yes It's another Elm bowl, and not even sanded or semblance of finish on it.
I thought to show what I've done to prevent the knot from splitting and to reduce the amount of shrinking that would have caused if not looked after.

Leo,
Maybe I'm missing something here...just what was it you did to prevent the knot from splitting?? If there is a way, I'd love to know. BTW, nice looking piece, be sure and show us the finished product.

john l graham
09-21-2010, 1:41 PM
Leo your elm bowls look really swell. I have been turning some elm recently and get lots of tearout even with the sharpest of tools. Seems to be at certain lines of the ring growth. Maybe the wood was past its prime. I little CA glue has helped salvage some of them. Keep up the inspirational work for us.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 7:47 PM
very nice, nice form

Thanks for commenting Charlie :D, but it was meant to show that wood can be dried in a short time without the DNA, soap or other hokus-pokus.
also a way of controlling some of the warping and other forces that can/do wreak havoc with our turnings at times.

Very nice Leo. I remember one you posted that was somewhat similar I think in walnut that looked great as well. I will have to give one of those shapes a try sometime.

Thank you Baxter :D, yes I've made a few in this style, and they are the first ones to find new owners, it is also one of my Anny's favorite shapes :)

That is a really nice bowl Leo.

Thank You Bernie, I'll show it again when finished, should look better by then ...........I hope :D

Thanks for sharing the process of saving a bowl from cracking, Leo. Your advice may just save a few along the way.

Pretty wood in that elm. Your other turnings from this tree I like better so far, but as you state, there isn't a finish on yet, so that may change. You always have a treat for us when you post............Thank You!!! :)
Thanks Roger :), I'm glad you like the at least partially finished pieces better than this one, this is still really rough, but should clean up nicely I think/hope :).

Yes it was about the fast dry and the controlling of the warpage and prevention of the splitting, or at least to try to do that

Another interesting shape Leo. Good luck with the save. Are you going to cut it again? Or, just sand and finish the bottom?

Thanks Mark :), nothing to save Mark, just controlling and prevention.
There will only be some finish cutting on the foot if anything, most of the bowl is less than 1/8" thick, and warped now, also gone oval by 3/4", so it will be sanding and some more sanding and than putting on some Tung oil finish :D

Leo, you really do some interesting stuff!! Nice!

Thank you John, keeping things interesting and different makes for having fun while taking on the challenge of turning another piece of wood into something I like :D

Leo Van Der Loo
09-21-2010, 8:06 PM
[QUOTE=Leo Van Der Loo;1518082]Yes It's another Elm bowl, and not even sanded or semblance of finish on it.

Leo,
Maybe I'm missing something here...just what was it you did to prevent the knot from splitting?? If there is a way, I'd love to know. BTW, nice looking piece, be sure and show us the finished product.

The way a knot dries is just the same as how a whole log dries, and you know the pith will split and more, so we cut the pith out etc., well we can't do that with a knot that sits in a turning, so what I have been doing with a good deal of success is to fill the knot as good as I can with thin CA glue, by doing this the knot has less chance and need to shrink with the wood at least partially filled with something that takes up the room the water did before.
Also on this one the grain in the area around the knot had grown in such a way that it was shrinking in a non linear way but more in a circular way around that knot, so I filled that area also with CA, and it has worked to keep the curve pretty equal with the other side and the knot has not split, so I was successful, while having the bowl dry in less than two weeks even while wetting the rim area twice, as that did warp some more and then had to let it dry again :D

Leo your elm bowls look really swell. I have been turning some elm recently and get lots of tearout even with the sharpest of tools. Seems to be at certain lines of the ring growth. Maybe the wood was past its prime. I little CA glue has helped salvage some of them. Keep up the inspirational work for us.

Thanks John :), yes all Elms are not created equal, but the stringynes is something all Elms I have turned do have, gets much better when dry though.
I always have the most problems with the cambium layer as it will just never cut cleanly, no matter what I use or how :), though like I said it gets much better when dry, so normally that is the way I turn Elm, roughout, let dry, and return.
This was the challenge with these pieces, finish turning it green, and the cambium is not cleanly cut, but sands OK when dry :D.

Harvey Ghesser
09-21-2010, 8:37 PM
Thanks for sharing, Leo! I always learn something new when you post. And I can hardly wait to see this turning finished. I think it will be most beautiful!

Harvey

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2010, 8:49 PM
Love looking at your bowls, Leo! And I always learn something when I read your explanations for some technique or other! Thanks for sharing your expertise with us. :)

David Christopher
09-21-2010, 9:12 PM
very cool looking piece Leo, cant wait to see it finished

Leo Van Der Loo
09-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for sharing, Leo! I always learn something new when you post. And I can hardly wait to see this turning finished. I think it will be most beautiful!

Harvey

I'm getting behind here Harvey ;), thank you for commenting Harvey, I have to roughout more pieces of the Elm wood, and the finishing will have to wait probably longer than expected, but LOML has her eye on it, so she will probably remind me a time or two to get it done :rolleyes:

Love looking at your bowls, Leo! And I always learn something when I read your explanations for some technique or other! Thanks for sharing your expertise with us. :)

Thanks for your flattering comment Allen :D, Allen I learned a thing or two from you, and you've been always free giving with anything you had figured out, thank you for that Allen :)

very cool looking piece Leo, cant wait to see it finished

Thank you David :D, as I said before it'll be a while probably ;)